“Love this hotel but....”
Review of Parker New York

Parker New York
Ranked #269 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I love staying at the Parker Meridien. Great room and location. It may sound trivial but as a Starwood Platinum guest, and paying those kind of rates, you would think there would be a bottle of water offered. It's unfortunate for the hotel that this is what I take away....an easily remedied gripe.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul M
Write a ReviewReviews (5,703)

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights for her 40th birthday and the location could not be any better. The hotel is only 1 block for the subway, in each direction. They have lots of terrific restaurants in the neighborhood from moderate to very, very expensive. The staff was friendly and helped us when every we had a question or issue. I did read other reviews that the shower pressure was a problem. We never experienced that on the 26th floor. Our room was always cleaned and we had a view of central park, it was only a sliver of a "park view", but it was still a park view between the tall buildings. We got a really great rate on a third party web site, but will definitely try to stay there when returning to NYC.

Room Tip: "the higher the better for park / city views"
2  Thank krzito
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Very good welcoming, pretty large room, modern, great safe, amazing rotative television furniture, nice bathroom. Bed very fine . Interesting view on the city and on Cenral Park from the lift lobby. Museums easy to reach footing… But the break fast room is not large enough. Perhaps a buffet may be better.
Waiting for the lifts is not very fine, and we have to do.

Room Tip: Our junior suite was perfect
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Date of visit 4/18-4/21 2014.. Other than A/C issue could not have been better. We had Jr. Suite which provides plenty of space. Also great fitness center. Would be a plus if the if the in-house breakfast place (Norma"s) would give consideration to healthy meals. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Jr. Suite is worth the extra money.
1  Thank Ronald M
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Yep - certain times of the year all of the sleeping rooms do not have air conditioning (heating or cooling)! When I arrived at 9 PM my room was hot (77 degrees by my travel thermometer). I called down for assistance and the maintenance person who came to my room asked if I wanted my windows open. I was stunned. I am in midtown Manhattan paying close to $600 per night and their idea of climate control was to open the windows? The website describes the room features as including climate control and the email confirmation I received had a link describing the features as including "air conditioning". Apparently their system can "only cool" or "only heat" the rooms so at certain times of the year it is turned off so as not to confuse the guests. The maintenance guy said if I came in the summer my room would be nice and cold but now the system is on "neutral". I called down to the front desk to confirm what I was told and was offered a larger room on a cooler floor...still no air-conditioning. I would have taken a smaller room with air conditioning - which in NYC also helps provide white noise to balance out the city sounds. I told them I would give it one night's try to see if I could sleep in NYC with the windows open...and sure enough the traffic sounds woke me up around 6:00 AM (3:00 AM, my time). While everyone was sorry that I was disappointed nobody apologized for not delivering the promised room feature of air conditioning - instead I was chided that since it was 57 outside I shouldn't need air conditioning. Guests should never be asked to justify wanting a feature that was advertised and promised. I noted that AAA considers the lack of on-demand heating and cooling as a feature of a one or two diamond hotel so I was stunned that the front desk personnel were shocked at my dissatisfaction. I do not remember the last time I stayed at a hotel without heating and cooling in the rooms -- since about 50+ days a year we stay at hotels, that's a lot of hotels.

Our family is a huge fan of Norma's - the best NYC breakfast restaurant that is in the lobby of this hotel - and they wanted me to try this property out as we regularly come to NYC (about 25 room nights per year) so that we could be closer to Norma's. I booked a junior suite for a three-day business trip. The room was on the dark side especially as I could not turn on many lights to try to keep the temperature down - and the cloth draw string for the closet door was downright goofy. I was also taken aback by the fact that the bathroom could not be accessed through the bedroom - I had to walk into the living room and across the tiled entranceway to get back to the bathroom.

We will still come to Norma's and we will still be loyal Starwood Gold members but we are done with this hotel. I checked out early and booked myself in a nearby less expensive hotel that has air conditioning. I can't see how I can give the hotel greater than a one rating when I was forced to use my valuable business trip time to book and move to another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
8  Thank Traveling_a_lot4fun
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Parker New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear Traveling_a_lot4fun,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry you were not comfortable during your stay. Like the majority of NYC buildings, our heating/cooling units are controlled via a centralized system, which does not allow for individual control of the temperature. Above 68 degrees, cool air is supplied. Below 50 degrees heating is supplied. For that in-between range, the "neutral" setting uses air that is the same temperature at the outside air. We are working diligently not only to keep our guests satisfied and comfortable but also at finding a long-term solution. I am hopeful you will reconsider a return stay. Please feel free to reach out to me at that time.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
Director of Guest Communications
guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Date of visit: Monday, 21 April

Location: Only 3 blocks away the southern edge of Central Park, close to the "7 Avenue" stop on the E train (easy access to JFK airport).

Looks: The lobby is beautiful, with its high ceiling, and marble floors. There's a very luxurious *feel* to it (read on...)

Amenities: The pool was the thing I loved most about the property. It's on the top floor, and has huge windows that afford a great view of the city as you swim. There is always a lifeguard on duty (he was very polite, and, in my experience, more professional than the front desk).

Room: My experience may be different than yours as I used a Suite Night Award as an SPG Platinum member, and was upgraded to a junior suite. I remember the floor tiles in the bathroom were warm to stand on (a huge plus), but the decor was a bit dated. The mesh trashcan may have been modern a decade ago, but its commonly found at Target now (I got one myself back in college). The room's details just didn't exude the luxury I felt upon entering the lobby, despite being in a suite... And the view of the building across the street wasn't particularly worth writing home about.

Verdict: I've never been called "buddy" before at a luxury hotel. I've heard the term used... in movies. Is this a New York thing? I wasn't addressed this way by any other New Yorker. When I retrieved my bags, there wasn't a word spoken. Other than me, thanking him. He stood in an awkward silence. Was I supposed to tip? Not coming back. For the price you pay, service sure is lacking. On the plus side, there is a sort of barricade set up and security watching the lobby, so it feels quite safe.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank WheresDuy

Dear WheresDuy,

Thank you for the review. We're glad you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. The view from the pool is one-of-a-kind. I regret you were less thrilled with the view from your room. All of our Junior suites face south, away from the park and as you can imagine... most views in NYC are of buildings. Our “New York Smart” style is not meant to offend. We love our city's personality and uniqueness, so we reflect that in our verbiage. Our staff is not required to interact with guests in a scripted manner, however I must admit "buddy" is pushing it though. I've shared your feedback with our team so we can address. Thanks again.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
Director of Guest Communications

Reviewed April 22, 2014

All is great. The location in the city, the view, the staff (very professional , helpful and nice), the swimming pool, the burger joint, the rooms ... the rooms are spacious.
We came two times in NYC in the Parker Meridien, and everytime we spend a marvellous stay, particular thanks to the hotel, very relaxing, after tiring days in New York.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views. In the north, you have the view on Central Park.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family