“Room needs renovation”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #258 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Ideally located just a short walk to Central Park , shopping, and several restaurants. The lobby is elegant and front desk staff, Carlos, was very helpful. The room service was good especially breakfast menu from Norma ( supposed to be one of the best breakfast in NYC). However, I was less than impressed with the room. While it was fairly spacious, certain area reminds me that this is not up to par with Westin, Marriott. I haven't seen a room that use cheap looking curtain and aluminum rod in lieu of wooden door for the closet area even at lower end hotel such as Fairfield Inn. If I chose to stay with a non park view room with starpick rate of $250, it prob OK. But for the usual price near $400 / night it certainly not worth it. I actually chose park view starpick rate of $300 which is not too bad considering the location. But other than the room, everything else was good. The view of Central Park from 32 floor was not that great with a lot of building blocking part of the view and not worth the extra $50. If you can get near the 50th floor it might worth it. Burger joint in the lobby has a very long line but as a guest you can order it without waiting in line. I tried a Thai restaurant near by, Topaz, and found the food to be substandard. Morimoto restaurant , 5 miles away, was worth the $10 taxi fare with excellent appetizer and entree from iron chef.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear PP2603,

We appreciate your visit and your review. I'm glad you enjoyed our staff and dining options. Our closet drapery are a signature piece and certainly not a cheaper alternative to a door closure. I'm sorry we gave you that impression. I am hopeful this information will give you new insight to our property and that you will consider returning again soon.

There are newer reviews for Le Parker Meridien New York

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just stayed for three nights. Great location, rooms are well-appointed - but what makes this hotel excellent is its staff. The concierge on this visit found just the right restaurant for me and a friend who had recently gone through a divorce. We needed something lively with a good scene to remind my buddy of the possibility of good times ahead -- but not so loud or tables so close together that we couldn't talk. The concierge delivered with just the right steakhouse within walking distance on a busy Saturday night.

But more importantly, when I stayed there a few years ago and had a kidney stone -- their reference to a great concierge doctor who made a hotel call to my room to see me -- saved me a trip to the ER! (Still painful, but his diagnosis saved me the drama of a strange emergency room.)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Far better hotels in New York at half the cost - try Distrikt Hotel on 40th Street. If it wasn't for switching hotels mid-stay then my special trip to New York would have been a disaster!! Wi-fi at 25 dollars a night!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here - nothing but basics in the rooms & not even tea/coffee making facilities...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I won't take up a lot of space repeating what others have already said. The location is good, the lobby is beautiful and staff really try to be friendly and helpful, but the rooms are really basic. Not much better then Motel 6.
If you are not going to spend a lot of time in the lobby, try to get a better room somewhere.

We didn't use the restaurants or bar. I don't see the need to spend $30++ on breakfast when there a lot of great places nearby for less the $10.

The first room we were put in did not have a working phone or mini bar fridge. The second was ok and larger, but there really no views. Generally it's quite.

Newspapers are available at no charge from the concierge.

And why should you pay to use the gym and $16 for in room Internet. I know it's New York but they are really taking advantage of their patrons.

Room Tip: Above 17th floor and at the end of the floor.
2  Thank stan S

Dear wheeleee,

Thank you for your stay and review. Our rooms are designed to be comfortable and functional. Each item has a purpose, no fluff, no waste- definitely a modern feel. I am sorry you were not a fan. What makes a property unique are its "extras." For us, in addition to the grand lobby and thoughtful rooms, the extras are Extraordinary!
You can experience our one-stop shop for the best in fitness and beauty basics... gravity fitness: Totally renovated state-of-the-art gym, Moonshine: Six treatment rooms, tailor-made massage and facials leaving you looking your best, Drybar: Not cuts. No color. Just blowouts, tenoverten: The destination manicure, Petit Blue Dog: Healthy bites perfect for a workout or a day of beauty, our Penthouse pool: Swim high in the sky AND awarding winning restaurants. So I am hopeful you will join us again... I think you'll come to love us.

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I checked in to the Le Parker Meridian for a 4 night stay that was a mix of work and play in New York City. We like the area and its proximity from a business standpoint as it is close to most of the meetings I needed to attend, but it is also great for people that want to access the great shopping on 5th/Madison Ave, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Carnegie and Central Park. We like the fact that there are are entrances on both 56th and 57th St as that makes getting to the hotel from different areas very easy and convenient. The hotel is clean and nice but the rooms are somewhat small with very little drawer space and the bathroom is literally a closet. It is not realistic for two people to be in the bathroom at the same time. As for prices I think they are reasonable for what you would expect in New York City. The only disappointment is the $10 charge to use the gym. While it is nice, it is the first Starwood property that I have had to pay to use the gym as a gold member. The umbrella in our closet came in handy as it rained heavily one day of our trip. If you are basing your choice on location I think this is a great hotel. If you are looking for luxury I would look elsewhere. We didn't spend much time in the room so based on location it was great for us. Would look around next time in New York City but would be open to staying here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a park view as otherwise you are looking at buildings or construction sites.

Dear dat1978,

Thanks for sharing your insight. We're glad you enjoyed the location of our property. I wish the gym fee had not been such a disappointment. The non-guest fee for the gym is $75/d, we have arranged a substantial discount for our guests... we think it gives a bang for the buck! We hope to welcome you and your wife back in the future. If I can be of assistance, just let me know.

guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

Location: convenient, close to the park, entrance on the side street can lead to a long wait for the taxi.
Room: I stayed on 20th floor, room facing the staircase in the building next door. If you want a decent view ask for it, I expect the rooms on the park side would be nice. Room itself was well appointed, but very dated. No tea pot, no coffee maker, no bath robe, no free bottled water, at least wifi was ok. Bathroom is very small and rather basic.
Facilities: small pool on the top floor is very nice, particularly in the evening. One of the best equipped gyms I've seen at the hotel. But bear in mind you have to pay $10 extra to use it.
Food: I only tried breakfast, which by NY standards was not particularly good and rather expensive ($9 for a glass of average orange juice and $6 for a weak coffee).
Overal very average hotel for NY (I've stayed in quite a few), at least with a very good gym.

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Vadym T,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize we did not meet your expectations regarding the room amenities and complimentary items. Kettles are available upon request (fee) but we do not offer coffeemakers. We offer 24hr room service, a decadent breakfast restaurant with unlimited French-press coffee & an elegant espresso bar right in the lobby. I wish we had known of your preferences while you were with us, as a robe would have been rapidly delivered. Complimentary water is currently only available to Platinum guests, but I will let you in on a secret… NYC has some of the best tap water in the country. I am also saddened to know you did not care for our orange juice. It is specifically fresh-pressed daily by our culinary team for our guests' enjoyment and has unlimited servings with each order. I hope we were able to brew you stronger coffee on your second morning in our restaurant. We hope to have another opportunity to impress you in the future.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was my third stay, and while I wouldn't have thought it possible, Le Parker Meridien keeps getting better. The rooms, location, and rooftop pool are all wonderful, but it's the staff--and I mean every single hotel employee I've met--who make this hotel a truly joyful place. Everyone is friendly, helpful and professional. That's what makes Le Parker the only place I'll stay in NYC.

Room Tip: All the rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable. The park view rooms offer a million dollar view of C...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family