“Great Hotel, Fab Staff, Terrible Construction Noise”

Le Parker Meridien New York
Ranked #258 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great Hotel, Fab Staff, Terrible Construction Noise”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I have stayed at Le Parker Meridien several times before but the last two trips I made this month were spoiled by the roof top pool/gym being closed and the horrible jack-hammering noise from the building next door. To explain the severity of the noise, to the jack-hammering is not done by people on a jackhammer, but by Crane sized machines. I am sure the Le Park employees have lost a couple decibels of hearing because of that. Though the rooms I had the last two times were small, they were clean. They have this cool center console that they house the old Sony CRT TVs which are now much dated and need to replaced the with LCD TVs. At times I think the hotel management is more in love with the design of the console than providing current functionality it needs to provide. But overall, the rooms are beautiful, comfortable beds, with a staff takes a lot of pride in what they do. I was helped by this lady Annanida who was extremely helpful and professional. There is a not so fancysmanchy burger joint attached to the hotel, but being in the location there are plenty of good restaurants in walking distance - Nobu, Rue 57 to name a few. It is very close to Central park so if you are wanting to go for a morning run/walk it is the perfect place to get lost in. There are museums like the Metropolitan, MOMA, Guggenheim, Neue galleries in walking distance and ample shopping at Columbus circle and around 6th avenue. Best of all the location allows you to enjoy Manhattan the way it should be just far enough from the chain commercialized part of Time Square.

Room Tip: With the construction going on next door request a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
ParkerGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Le Parker Meridien New York, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear Cowboy Joe77,

New HD flat panel televisions are coming and the drills are LEAVING, I promise! We too wish their work could be done faster and with less of a noise impact. Anandi will be pleased to know you found her to be as helpful and professional as we do. We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year. Happy 2012!

Director of Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Spent my ONE vacation day at the Meridien and wanted the day to end as fast as possible. In the winter the hotel shuts off their A/C system and only provides a heater. Their building is really old and hasn't been renovated in a long time so the heater would blast 80F at all times. I called the manager to help me out with this and the only thing they were able to offer was open windows (Its winter in NY, so freezing) or a plastic fan that makes noise just like the construction site next door.
Spent my night tossing and turning because of the noise outside (DT Manhattan cabbies honking) and after i closed the window it turned hot... Will never stay at the Meridien again and the lack of customer service from the hotel, not the starwood hotline guy, is making me rethink twice the next time I stay with a Starwood property again.. Just to let you know, I stay in hotels 4 nights a week for work and never had a bad experience like this anywhere else.

Room Tip: I would think in the summer time the rooms facing Central Park would be great.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank FreqTravelerAttarha
Dear FreqTravelerAttarha,

I was disappointed to hear our HVAC system caused distress. The airflow to each room is uniform in temperature. It’s the temperature outside that has a bearing on the airflow to the rooms, not the season. Lately, the days have been moderate but the nights cool significantly requiring the heating to be turned on. I hope the compensation offered helped alleviate some your distress and that you will take us up on our return offer.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Our tower room was small, but newly decorated and confortable. Should not have to pay for laptop connection given the price of the room. The staff was friendly and helpful, although some of the information provided by the concierge was outdated and inaccurate. Our first night's room, was small, old and uncomfortable, but the assistant manager agreed to credit 2000 points for the initial inconvenience. All in all we had a pleasant stay after the first night, and of course you can't beat the location.

Room Tip: Stay in a newly decorated tower room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My husband and I, who are fans of Le Parker M and have stayed there before, were not exactly thrilled by the 7 am start of the construction at the lot next door, BUT we had a great customer experience that I wanted to share. We were only in NYC for a couple of
days and running around on a tight schedule when we realized that we had an hour to return to the hotel for a much needed nap. The morning jackhammering had stopped, but the city was apparently doing some kind of work on the building that sounded like drilling right above our heads. After putting in our earplugs, to no avail, my husband called downstairs to ask about the noise. The front desk kindly offered to move us to another room, but that would have meant packing up, which would have taken up all of our nap time and defeated the purpose. Stephanie's well-thought-out solution? Letting us crash in an empty room on the other side of the hotel away from the noise. This is why we stay at the Le Parker Meridien NYC – great service – even under duress. Hopefully on our next visit the construction will be done. :-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review, the visit and the kind words about Stephany B. She is a dedicated part of our team and we are thrilled to have her. We look forward to welcoming you back in quieter times.

Warm regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I have stayed at other Meridien hotels where staff were more helpfull. I thought what was being charged for breakfast was a bit steep, more so because you were not sure to get a seat and had to wait in line behind people who had come in from the street.
The room gave us a great view of central park but was not clean. Despite requesting this be addressed it never was. As we were there for a week we decided to clean the room ourselves. As a whole the hotel was not very well kept. It was dirty and looks tired. It is now trading on a name and given the hotels it is surrounded by that are comparative or cheaper it cannot be viewed as value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Sauzee092,

I am so sorry to learn your concerns were not addressed. Please contact me so we can discuss further. guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Stayed in the hotel for a about 5 days in Oct this year and booked at a pretty high room rate of more than $600. I had a problem with my flight schedule (who doesn't these days) and hence, contacted the hotel 24 hours before I arrived to informed them about my situation. Even though I was not cancelling my booking, they nevertheless charged me cancellation fees for 1 night, which is more than $600, which I thought was pretty unreasonable as I did contact them 24 hours before and I was going to stay anyways for another 4 nights. Anyway, reached the hotel and they were doing massive piling next door. Seriously the loud piling noise went on from morning till evening and it was terrible as I can't get decent rest in the pm. Even staying in the restaurants and lounge doesn't help and the best solution is to get away from the hotel. I tried to also print 2 pages of travel information but they did not have a proper business centre but only those automated ones that requires a minimal credit card charge of $6. The internet connection in the room was also terrible and it took a long while to download mails. Hence, for the price that I paid, I really feel ripped off, especially the additional room charge. I've been to many other hotels that offered better service and would be more understanding of traveller's dilemma.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon T
Dear Simon T,

Our standard cancellation policy is 3pm EST, 24 hours in advance. I do not have the exact details of your booking but am happy to discuss further. Please contact me at guestrelations@parkermeridien.com

Reviewed December 13, 2011

Decided at last minute to spend a weekend in the city for the holidays... We typically only stay at SPG properties and have stayed at a bunch of them all over the city. My wife and I like to stay at nice hotels, but are by no means travel snobs that nitpick over every little detail. Here are my thoughts:

The Great:
Location. We lived in the city for years, and still only live 15 minutes outside the city so we don't go 'sightseeing' but for those coming to the city for sightseeing and holidays, the location can't be beat. Right next to central park, walking distance to Rockefeller, Radio City, 5th avenue shopping, and an easy cab ride to any part of Manhattan.

Staff. The staff was great. Extremely friendly and professional without an ounce of pretentiousness.

The Good:
The lobby is nice as is the hotel bar. Beware of the crazy lines at 'the burger joint' (which I would avoid at all costs, but that is another review.)

The Bad:
The rooms. Regardless of whether you are paying or using points, the rooms just don't make the cut. Especially for a hotel that wants to categorize itself with the best in the city.
We had a 'park view' room. Now, you can't complain about size, because it's NYC and rooms are small. It was an average sized room, bigger than the W's we have stayed at. It's the decor (or lack thereof) and the antiquity of the room that is unacceptable. From the old, non-flat screen television (even Holiday Inn's have flat screens these days) to the absolute lack of character in the room, it is one big disaster. Small conveniences like an ipod dock are non-existant. When you are paying as much as the hotel charges, you expect a certain standard, and it was not even close to being acceptable. I have read reviews that some of the rooms were modernized/upgraded, but certainly not the one we were staying in. I was even leary of walking around with my shoes off!

Anyway, if you don't care at all about the room and want a hotel that's pricey but offers a great location, particularly for the holidays, then the parker is for you. If you like having a nice, modern, comfortable room, then look elsewhere!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank metsguy
Dear Metsguy,

Thank you for the thorough review. Our rooms were given a hefty facelift in 2009. This time around the technology will be given a boost. Beginning in January we be replacing our current TVs with a flat-panel television. A other basics will get some love but our rooms will always remain modern, with sleek lines and no fuss.

Hope we see you again soon.

Director of Guest Relations

p.s. I can be reached at guestrelations@parkermeridien.com if you'd like to discuss your burger woes.