“Good location, OK hotel”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #202 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Due to the very large choice of hotels in the area, I read many reviews before making my booking (it was for my wife's birthday and I wanted it to be special - on that count it didn't quite achieve). The location is really good, just a few minutes from Times Square and even closer to a subway station. General condition of the rooms was fine, although we were led to believe that the hotel had been renovated in 2006 - this obviously did not include new wall paper or carpet, and definitely not the bathroom. The bath was one of those short, dumpy baths you get quite often in Middle Easten hotels, not really acceptable these days. Also, the up escalator to reception was not working for the duration of our stay (4 days), so you had to get a lift from round the corner.

Having said that, the service in the hotel was really good. The gym was well equipped, even if it did close rather early on a Sunday. No real complaints about the hotel, it was adequate, well positioned and clean - I'd just probably try somewhere else should I visit New York again as I've stayed in better 4* hotels.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (10,115)

Reviewed May 14, 2007

Mt wife & I stayed on the 42nd floor of the Crowne Plaza on May 1-4 2007 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We paid extra for an "Executive Level" room, which means a room on the 42nd floor or higher, complimentary breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres, and access to the 46nd floor lounge (where breakfast & evening snacks were served).

We supposedly had a river/harbor view room, but we had to search hard to find the harbor or river off in the distance. Still, the room did have a great view of the surrounding area, with no large buildings nearby.

The room itself was average sized, but the bathroom was very hard to enter as the door leading to the bathroom opened outward into a very cramped sink area.

The room had a nice setup with a large desk (with plentiful and easily accessible electrical outlets), a large flat panel television and comfortable bed. We did not have any problems with bedbugs as some other travelers have reported (although we are now hesitant to go back after reading those reports).

Overall, we were satisfied with the hotel and the room. Our major complaint was that the escalators were broken every day that we stayed at the hotel.

We plan to return NYC sometime, but will probably stay at a hotel further from hustle of Times Square.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DaytonTravelers
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Be careful walking in this hotel on the guest floors.

I came back to this hotel after an incident of shards of glass on my room floor and gave it another chance. It has less expensive corporate rates than other hotels in the area and saves my client money.

Waiting in the lobby for the elevator after 5 pm, I noticed tens of shards of glass scattered in the 42nd floor lobby. At 7 am the next morning, the glass was still there. I showed the manager. Coming back at 6:30 pm, they still missed a few pieces of glass.

If someone walked without shoes on the floor for ice, they could have been in for an unpleasant surprise.

This hotel need more responsible management. Maybe someone from corporate will read this.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank diamondmember
Reviewed May 3, 2007

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 4 nights in Times Square and came home with bed bugs in my luggage. I contacted the hotel and they are telling me that they had professionals check my room and it came up clean. When I asked for a copy of the report, was told they would not provide it. I have endured costly expenses due to their negligence.

Stay at Crowne Plaza - Times Square at your own risk!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
8  Thank diahanna523
Reviewed April 24, 2007

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Times Square April 10-14, 2007 for a business trip. I reserved a king non-smoking, but when I arrived at the hotel, I was put into a room that had a DOUBLE bed that FOLDED OUT OF THE WALL (room 2823). The room was teeny tiny and had adjoining rooms on each side. I could sit on the end of the bed and my knees would touch the television stand (and I am only 5'7"). The hotel had not turned on air conditioning yet (the hotel only turns it on during summer months) and the room was very warm. The window opened about 3 inches, but would not stay open so I had to prop it open with the guest services book.

So the room was small and hot and I could hear my neighbors conversation verbatim?? Okay, I can get over that, I am basically there just to sleep, right, and besides, this is on my company's dime, not mine. Not as easy at it sounds.....

That first night, the bed was basically like sleeping on a box spring, hard and uncomfortable. And I noticed that my legs were really itchy!! I thought I was either having a reaction to the laundry detergent used on the sheets, or the soap products the hotel carries.

The next morning I requested that I be moved to a different room because I was so displeased with room 2823. I was told I would not be moved unitl the 3rd day because the hotel was full. Fine, I thought, I can stand one more night of hearing the shrill laughter of my neighbors at 2 a.m. and my legs itching like mad.

On the third morning, I was moved to room 2815. Just a few doors down the hall but a world of difference from room 2823!! I got a king size bed and much more room. And the room's temperature was acceptable and there were no adjoinging rooms...hooray! I was much happier....But the itchy legs continued, and by this time, the itch had moved up to my stomach and arms.

On the morning of my departure, I was sitting on my bed putting on my shoes. I felt another bite and looked at my arm where I found a bug, similar in appearance to an appleseed, biting me. I smashed it and thought nothing more of it. I had never seen a bedbug, and besides, aren't they just the lure of a childhood rhyme?? WRONG

The bites still continued when I got home and again, I found a stupid bug (just like the first one) on my leg. Now I was really perplexed as to why I had seen this same bug at the Crowne Plaza and now again on my leg. I did some reseach on the internet, low and behold, I had discovered BEDBUGS!!! Yes, freaking BEDBUGS traveled back to North Carolina with me.

I had never seen a bedbug in my life until my stay at the Crowne Plaza, and now they are making me and my home their own personal feeding trough. I am going to have to get an exterminator now and who knows what that is going to cost? I don't, not yet anyway, but I bet it's not going to be cheap.

Thanks a lot Crowne Plaza, for your univited Begbugs guests and my future extermination bill. BEWARE of rooms 2823 and 2815.

And by the way, I informed the hotel, they have not responded to my complaints. Also, a co-worker stayed in room 2723 (just below my original room, but her's was a double, much larger and had only one adjoining room) and so far she has not been affected by bedbugs. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
9  Thank fruitcakes02
Reviewed April 24, 2007

ive been to newyork three times now i decided to take the wife for her 40th wanted a nice hotel it would not be hard to find better for the money and sevice .i dont think it has seen a refubishement for a long time . The pool was disapointing very old hat streem room did not work or was not turned on the trainer was not intrested in finding out the stay in new was good and the location of the hotel was good as well but i would not stay there again no fridge. only one bath robe per roon asked for second did not arrive and the bath room was design for circus people very small . orverall a very old out dated hotel ideal for buniess

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank puppysnuts
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We stayed for 6 nights in April - family of 4 including 2 teenagers.

Hotel fulfilled our requirement to be in a high level room in Times Square, for the first time visit to NYC for our kids. The Club Room was not large enough for the four of us, although reservations had assured me that it would be fine.

Supposedly refurbished room was just OK. Room service was OK.

Pool a big disappointment - fine if you want to train only, but not for fun swimming, which is normally part of our family holiday - and was one of the reasons we chose this hotel over any other.

Very much a business hotel. Don't think we saw or spoke to any one person twice over the course of our stay. No-one really cared who we were, or what we were doing there, or if we were having a good time. No personal touch at all.

Served it's purpose, but certainly wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family