“Would Return” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #192 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fareham
“Would Return”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My family & I (3 adults & 1 teenager) have just left the hotel after a 2 night stay over the weekend. We arrived at about 3ish and I proceeded to check in, I was served by Rhoda, who explained that she didn't have any rooms available at the moment. I advised that we had just done a long flight from the UK and wanted to get out and explore, I said that I know we had requested 1 room, but if it meant putting us in 2 rooms it was ok. She explained that she couldn't do that but would check again. She managed to find us a room & as a gesture of good will, gave us free breakfast and a free drink at the bar!

Our room was a reasonable size, actually it was probably the smallest room I have had in NYC, but it was big enough for what we needed. The beds were an ok size and comfortable, which is all you need after a long day in NYC. breakfast was good, lots of choice and all very tasty, I found the bar a bit too up market for my liking, the cocktail list was a bit too fancy.

You have to pay for wifi in your room, but if you head to the lobby, the wifi is free which was great as it allowed me to check in for our non ward flight & FaceTime my partner back in the uk!

The 1 downside to the hotel (as the location was amazing) was this morning, when we asked for a taxi to the airport, we were told a tow car would be best, I checked the rate a couple of times ( and it was the same when we go.t to the airport) but they were really ramming our cases into the boot, I had to say several times to be careful as there breakables in the cases. It annoyed me as they didn't appear to be taking much care over our bags - overall this was the worst service we had and even that wasn't too bad.

I would return again, and stay again, but upgrade to a bigger room with a Times Square view.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Hi Emmak142!

First off let me say thank you for giving us a chance here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square! We're glad you enjoyed your stay. I'd like to take this oppurtunity to apologize for the smaller than expected room you received. I'm sure Rhoda would have put you in a bigger room if she could, she really is that great. I'm glad you got breakfast and a drink though! If you can, please e-mail me at Sabid@cptsnyc.com prior to your next arrival and I'll ensure that your stay is even better thank last time. Once again, thank you for choosing us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square!

Thank you!

Syed Abid
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,908)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just finished a four night stay at this hotel and it's been pretty good - we used the Broadway 49 bar in the hotel for several lunches and evening bites with good service and pretty good food. Had the Broadway platter a couple of times and only remembered the second time that the buffalo wings were a bit too salty for my taste.

Reviewed the Brasserie 1605 breakfast and lunch lounge separately which was also good. Rooms was pretty large and the bed was great (we had paid for the room/bed scenario). Decor in the rooms was a little tired especially the bathroom which could have done with either a new tub or new enamel but otherwise no complaints there. The free (platinum) wifi worked, aircon was good and there was a working safe as described plus a view of Times Sq.

Checkout wasn't quite as friendly as check in, we checked out at approx 05.30 so maybe it was heading towards the end of shift. Most hotels around the world that I have used hold the guests card details as security for any extras (room was prepaid) but here they had deducted from the card in advance of checkout - I then explained that I wanted to pay the extras on a different card to the one we had bought the rooms on months ago and that required cancelling the charges and then reprocessing them onto our Dollars card. It seemed to work just took a bit of extra effort - would use again.

Hi Nick!

Thanks a lot for your review and for staying with us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. We're so glad you had a great stay and would love for you to come back. Also, we're going through renovations through-out the year and we'll be sure to get to those bathrooms very soon! Please make sure to visit us again, as we'd love to have you here!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Wonderfully located and great staff - however Bathrooms could do with a refresh. Rooms are big for NYC hotels, more like what you'd find in Europe. Get the right room and you can look down on Times Square.
Staff are intuitive and actually warm! Unheard of in any other NYC hotel I've stayed at!

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hi Brian!

Thanks for getting back to us. We appreciate your feedback. The hotel is going through constant renovations, so we'll get to those bothrooms soon! Come back and check us out. Our hotel staff however, need no renovations as they are the best in NYC! We love working here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. Thank you again for choosing us!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Clean. Safe.Efficient. Elevators are super fast. Right in the middle of Broadway where we wanted to be. Walking distance to everything. Worth the money. Near Hershey store, M&M store, and Time Square.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear 1ohd1,

Thank you so much for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. Please be sure to come back, we can't wait to have you! The location sure is great isn't it? We love being in the center of it all! Thank you once again!

Regards,

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

The location is fantastic, walk out of the hotel into the middle of all the activity in Times Square! The hotel staff were helpful when we asked for directions or information in general. We had a lovely spacious room on 22nd floor, towards the back corner of the hotel, so we had a bit of a view of the Square, the bed was very comfortable. We didn't make use of any other facilities in the hotel as there are lots of places nearby to get breakfast, meals etc. Really handy for the theatres, we went to see Rocky - amazing production, virtually opposite the hotel. All in all a good experience.

Dear Gloscester,

Thanks so much for the fantastic review! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed this property as much as we enjoyed having you! We're thrilled to hear that our staff was helpful and courteous. We really do take pride in working at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. Please do come back and visit and make sure to check out Brasserie 1605, our restaurant in the lobby, as well as the New York Sports Club located on the 15th floor. We hope to see you soon!

Carmel, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

This hotel has a great location in Times Square. Location is its best feature. Service at the hotel front desk ranks somewhere between poor and terrible. The rooms are generally nice, but some improvements would make the rooms more appealing. I arrived late, and had a business meeting early the next morning, so I ordered room service. Big mistake. The food was absolutely terrible! I stopped eating it after a couple of bites. I walked down the street and got a terrific New York pizza and carried back to the hotel. I let room service know that the food was terrible, and they really did not care.

Upon check out I again reported the bad room service meal and asked to have the room service removed from my bill. The front desk staffer was not empowered to make any decisions. After trying to reach a manager, she told me all the managers were in a meeting. She told me she would address the room service issue and email my final invoice to me later that day. Four days later, after not receiving my final invoice, I called the hotel. A man who identified himself as the front desk manager became angry when I pointed out that I could not understand him because he was not speaking into the phone mouthpiece. He hung up on me! I called back, and he refused to take my call. I finally received my final invoice about four weeks after I checked out of the hotel.

Breakfast was not bad, and if you are seated at a window, you get good views of Times Square. However, the hotel was completely incapable of adding my breakfast charge to my room bill upon check out. Virtually every hotel I have stay at over the past 20 years knows how to add a breakfast charge to a final invoice so a customer can check out. This hotel cannot. My request generated confused looks, frustration, and the staff seemed baffled about how to add my breakfast charge to by bill.

This hotel is terrible, with a poorly trained staff, who are not empowered to make any decisions. There are many hotels in and around Times Square. You owe it to yourself to avoid this one.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank TitusPullo13
CrownePlaza49, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience Crowne Plaza Times Square.

Your review is very disappointing for our team since we work continuously to make sure our guests feel valued and appreciated during each of their stays. I understand you are very frustrated with the service. On behalf of the entire team, I sincerely apologize that your expectations were not met.
Tring, Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Location - very good, just at the end of Times Square; Bed - most comfortable I have slept in for a long time; size of room - far bigger than the norm for New York; Price - laughable! New York hotel prices are ridiculous and this one is no different. If you want to stay in New York, you have to pay these prices, and if you do, you can't do much better than this hotel. Very clean and tidy, well maintained and well staffed with polite and helpful employees.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlaza49, Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello ShakinPyramid,

We're so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Times Square. Our beds are amazing, right? We're glad you slept like a baby! That's what we like to hear. As far as prices go, ours fluctuate almost everyday. So you may find prices lower than usual on some days. We hope you visit us again very soon. We'd love to have you.

Fatena Williams