“can't beat the location”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #198 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Amazing location in the center of Times Square...please note though that it has 2 entrances and if you are driving you should go to the entrance on 47th street and NOT Broadway! we stopped the car at the entrance of the hotel on Broadway and had to find a bell boy to carry the luggage, one luggage porter Hector helped, but said it was not his duty and then asked us to go to the 47th st entrance. It seems that whoever takes the luggage out of the car (or into the car on departure) is not the same one who take the luggage to or from the room...so you end up paying tips twice!
What I did not like about the room is that it needed maintenance, the rubber molding on the sink was worn out, and a piece of the wooden cabinet in the bathroom is broken! Also...NO mini fridge in the room and if you want one you have to pay $30! Moreover, no water bottles in the room...But as I mentioned the location is great. I recommend you go to the nearby deli on Broadway for breakfast (it is close to Duane Reed )...they have excellent eggs sandwiches!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank samerzawaideh
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your detailed review of our property! I am very glad that you enjoyed our amazing location! I appreciate your feedback about the quality of your room. We are currently undergoing a project to improve the quality and appearance of our guest rooms! We hope that you come back and stay with us very soon!

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (10,102)

Reviewed July 20, 2013

When we first pulled up, it was unclear where the vallet wanted us to park. 1st they said we were fine, then while my friend was checking in, they told us to move the car - but to where? Cars in front of us blocked us in, so we couldn't move. Anyway, after a lengthy check-in (it took 20 minutes - the longest I've ever experienced at any hotel), we made our way up to the room. (I would have given a 5 rating except for the check-in, check-out, and vallet experiences.)
I had a room with 2 queen beds, facing Times Square, and the room was tight, but workable (besides, that's typical in NYC).
Every hotel staff member I encountered was kind and friendly - everyone from the bellman to the room service staff, however the vallet staff wasn't very kind or helpful.
Check-out was pretty easy, but getting my car was another story. Even though I called down for the call at the same time I called for a bellman, the vallet still made me wait 46 minutes just to get my car - even the 3 people behind me got their cars faster than I got mine!!!
I do want to compliment the staff on the quality of their room service. Our meals were brought relatively quickly and were cooked and seasoned to our liking.
All in all, I'd most likely stay here again - but only if I fly instead of drive.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask for one at the end of the hall. Even though it's more expensive, the rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your honest feedback about your experience with us! I am very glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay! I am disappointed, however, to read about the issues you encountered with the valet and the check-in process. The wait-time you experienced was unacceptable and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please let us know when you plan on staying with us again so we can make your second time better than the first!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked two rooms for our party of 6 and had a great experience. In particular, we'd like to give a bit shout out to the charming lady who checked us in, Vicky Martin, who could not have been more friendly, efficient, or helpful. What a fantastic representative of this hotel. We will definitely book here on our next trip. Rooms were clean and very well-appointed (the air conditioning was especially appreciated as it was very, very hot when we stayed here). Definitely you should check out this hotel, it has it all: great amenities and a perfect location.

Room Tip: Try to get above the 20th floor for the chance of a good view of the city.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! I am so glad that Vicky got you off to a great start! It is always exciting to read that guests have such a great time that they want to come back! We cannot wait for your second visit! Please let us know when you will be arriving. We would love the opportunity to make your next stay just as memorable!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Reviewed July 20, 2013

The room equipment is okay. For New York standards it's also good value for money. The rooms are quiet despite the central location. Take care if you need a taxi! From previous visits we already knew that’s not easy to get a cab between 3pm and 5pm. We were asking a few times at the front office, if we should calculate some extra time. They assured us that it’s no problem to get a cab. We waited around 30 minutes without success. Finally, we had to get a taxi by our one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding our service. I apologize that our bellstand was not able to assist you in a timely matter. We pride ourselves on our level of customer service so it is disappointing to read about your experience. I am sure that you next time you stay with us we are able to correct this problem!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We checked in the evening of June 25 with another couple for a stay of 5 nights. There was no line up and our friends had their room keys within five minutes. We were checked in by a manager who explained that she had to check if our room was ready. She left the desk for at least 15 minutes and when she returned she said she had "a very nice room" for us. Our check in took 25 minutes. The room was nice, but nothing special and it smelled very strongly of powdery air freshener. We wondered what kind of smell they were trying to cover up. No mini bar or fridge. Bathroom had a shower only, the mirror was chipped, and the caulking between the small back splash and counter was in desperate need of repair. The air conditioning did not work but when we told the front desk in the morning it was promptly fixed. I don't think it's a good idea to tell guests you have a very nice room for them as the let down is worse than if we had just been given our room, with apologies, for taking so long. Room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We did not have a Do Not Disturb sign and were unfortunately disturbed by housekeeping in the morning. Location for this hotel is great, walk to everything. We had breakfast twice at the Brasserie Restaurant and both times it took at least five minutes to get coffee and service, and they were not busy. Potatoes with our meals were cold both days. Grab and Go breakfast station was excellent, including the coffee, pastries and service. We had drinks in the hotel Broadway 49 bar and the service was very good.
Overall, I think this is a very good hotel. We had a few glitches but I would stay again as my hotel choice in any big city is largely based on location.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review of our property! I apologize that you were not impressed with your room. We are very proud of our guest rooms and I am sorry that you were not pleased with your room. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly use it to better our guests’ experiences in the future. I hope that you give us a second chance so we can show you how wonderful our guest rooms can be!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at CPTS.efficient and pleasant reception staff who had managed to fulfil odour request for a double and a twin. We were travelling with sons aged 20 and 24 and the thought of the, sharing a bed filled no one with joy. The. Hotel is perfectly placed for exploring Manhattan and we duly did. Drinks in the bar are on the expensive side but you d not go to New York for a cheap holiday; if you do you will be disappointed. Couple of niggles: We had to have new key cards twice in 4 days. We asked for someone to sort the AC twice. A maintenance person arrived wry quickly on both occasions but despite their best assurances the AC still wasn't satisfactory in our room. On one day we returned to the hotel after a long hot day at around 6pm to find the boys room still hadn't been cleaned! At check out we waited at least 20 mins due to IT problems. I was asked to write my email address down with promise of final invoice by email. Either this is the longest lasting computer crash in hotel history or more likely someone forgot as I still haven't had it. We managed to lead some clothiers behind. Entirely our own fault. It did however take 2 emails to get a reply which w then that it had been passed to security who would be in touch for our UK address. This still hasn't happened. I would have thought in view of the minor issues and they are minor that the hotel would have thought twice about asking for us to pay for sending our clothes, but that is another story.
All this said I'd still stay there again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property! I am very happy that you had an enjoyable stay overall! I apologize for the multiple inconveniences that you experienced and can assure you that this is not the level of service we expect. I encourage you to reach out to me so we can further discuss the details of your stay. I can be reached via email at ribanez@cptsnyc.com or by phone at 1-212-315-6102.
Robert Ibanez
Assistant Director of Front Office

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We live in DC and go to NY 2-3x's a year for the weekend. We stay at the Marriott Marquis because it is centrally located in Times Square. This trip I planned the trip instead of my husband and decided to try the Crowne Plaza. I selected the hotel based on (a) location, (b) reviews, (c) pictures of the hotel, (d), offered bar/restaurant in the hotel and (e) price. All these met our expectations and is a good value for NY. We went to see Book of Mormon and this hotel is next door to the theater. When the show was over, we were in our room in less than 5 minutes.

My only comment is on the bell staff. There is a sign and marked off area that says "taxi" right outside the bell stand. We stood out there for a while - with bell staff moving all around us. Finally someone said "do you need a taxi?". I'm thinking to myself "nope, we just like standing in the taxi line for no reason". It took too long for him to get us a taxi we walked to the street and got our own. That is the one area that Marriott excels. They keep people moving in and out of their hotel. Every time we exited the building the bell staff was chatting to each other, but in my opinion was not proactively helping guests. They would help a guest if you asked for help, but anticipating customer needs is essential when there are so many hotels in NY and for the price point.

The on-site restaurant was very good for breakfast. Expensive, but worth the money we paid for the items ordered. We would eat at the restaurant again.

The room was comfortable, clean, and decent size. The bed was to die for. I didn't want to leave it on Sunday morning. The air conditioning was also perfect temp for hot weekend. We had made a note on the reservation that it was my husband's birthday and we were given a great room on the 46 floor. We were very pleased with the room.

The hotel was easy to get into and out of and easy to spot when walking since it is near the M&M store.

I would highly recommend you give Crowne Plaza a try. We found a new hotel to call home when we are in NY.

Room Tip: We were on the 46th floor (top floor) room 4611. Great view of Times Square. the room is right acr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your detailed review of our property! I am thrilled that you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel! I am sorry about your experience with our bellmen. This is certainly not the level of service that we expect from Crowne Plaza employees. You are absolutely right, we should be anticipating your needs and helping you have a successful vacation! Please reach out to us when you plan on coming back to us! We would like to make your second stay even more memorable!