“Great Location in NY”

Ranked #196 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Langley City, Canada
“Great Location in NY”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We checked in the evening of June 25 with another couple for a stay of 5 nights. There was no line up and our friends had their room keys within five minutes. We were checked in by a manager who explained that she had to check if our room was ready. She left the desk for at least 15 minutes and when she returned she said she had "a very nice room" for us. Our check in took 25 minutes. The room was nice, but nothing special and it smelled very strongly of powdery air freshener. We wondered what kind of smell they were trying to cover up. No mini bar or fridge. Bathroom had a shower only, the mirror was chipped, and the caulking between the small back splash and counter was in desperate need of repair. The air conditioning did not work but when we told the front desk in the morning it was promptly fixed. I don't think it's a good idea to tell guests you have a very nice room for them as the let down is worse than if we had just been given our room, with apologies, for taking so long. Room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We did not have a Do Not Disturb sign and were unfortunately disturbed by housekeeping in the morning. Location for this hotel is great, walk to everything. We had breakfast twice at the Brasserie Restaurant and both times it took at least five minutes to get coffee and service, and they were not busy. Potatoes with our meals were cold both days. Grab and Go breakfast station was excellent, including the coffee, pastries and service. We had drinks in the hotel Broadway 49 bar and the service was very good.
Overall, I think this is a very good hotel. We had a few glitches but I would stay again as my hotel choice in any big city is largely based on location.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our property! I apologize that you were not impressed with your room. We are very proud of our guest rooms and I am sorry that you were not pleased with your room. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly use it to better our guests’ experiences in the future. I hope that you give us a second chance so we can show you how wonderful our guest rooms can be!

Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,937)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights at CPTS.efficient and pleasant reception staff who had managed to fulfil odour request for a double and a twin. We were travelling with sons aged 20 and 24 and the thought of the, sharing a bed filled no one with joy. The. Hotel is perfectly placed for exploring Manhattan and we duly did. Drinks in the bar are on the expensive side but you d not go to New York for a cheap holiday; if you do you will be disappointed. Couple of niggles: We had to have new key cards twice in 4 days. We asked for someone to sort the AC twice. A maintenance person arrived wry quickly on both occasions but despite their best assurances the AC still wasn't satisfactory in our room. On one day we returned to the hotel after a long hot day at around 6pm to find the boys room still hadn't been cleaned! At check out we waited at least 20 mins due to IT problems. I was asked to write my email address down with promise of final invoice by email. Either this is the longest lasting computer crash in hotel history or more likely someone forgot as I still haven't had it. We managed to lead some clothiers behind. Entirely our own fault. It did however take 2 emails to get a reply which w then that it had been passed to security who would be in touch for our UK address. This still hasn't happened. I would have thought in view of the minor issues and they are minor that the hotel would have thought twice about asking for us to pay for sending our clothes, but that is another story.
All this said I'd still stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property! I am very happy that you had an enjoyable stay overall! I apologize for the multiple inconveniences that you experienced and can assure you that this is not the level of service we expect. I encourage you to reach out to me so we can further discuss the details of your stay. I can be reached via email at ribanez@cptsnyc.com or by phone at 1-212-315-6102.
Robert Ibanez
Assistant Director of Front Office
Okatie, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We live in DC and go to NY 2-3x's a year for the weekend. We stay at the Marriott Marquis because it is centrally located in Times Square. This trip I planned the trip instead of my husband and decided to try the Crowne Plaza. I selected the hotel based on (a) location, (b) reviews, (c) pictures of the hotel, (d), offered bar/restaurant in the hotel and (e) price. All these met our expectations and is a good value for NY. We went to see Book of Mormon and this hotel is next door to the theater. When the show was over, we were in our room in less than 5 minutes.

My only comment is on the bell staff. There is a sign and marked off area that says "taxi" right outside the bell stand. We stood out there for a while - with bell staff moving all around us. Finally someone said "do you need a taxi?". I'm thinking to myself "nope, we just like standing in the taxi line for no reason". It took too long for him to get us a taxi we walked to the street and got our own. That is the one area that Marriott excels. They keep people moving in and out of their hotel. Every time we exited the building the bell staff was chatting to each other, but in my opinion was not proactively helping guests. They would help a guest if you asked for help, but anticipating customer needs is essential when there are so many hotels in NY and for the price point.

The on-site restaurant was very good for breakfast. Expensive, but worth the money we paid for the items ordered. We would eat at the restaurant again.

The room was comfortable, clean, and decent size. The bed was to die for. I didn't want to leave it on Sunday morning. The air conditioning was also perfect temp for hot weekend. We had made a note on the reservation that it was my husband's birthday and we were given a great room on the 46 floor. We were very pleased with the room.

The hotel was easy to get into and out of and easy to spot when walking since it is near the M&M store.

I would highly recommend you give Crowne Plaza a try. We found a new hotel to call home when we are in NY.

Room Tip: We were on the 46th floor (top floor) room 4611. Great view of Times Square. the room is right acr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your detailed review of our property! I am thrilled that you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel! I am sorry about your experience with our bellmen. This is certainly not the level of service that we expect from Crowne Plaza employees. You are absolutely right, we should be anticipating your needs and helping you have a successful vacation! Please reach out to us when you plan on coming back to us! We would like to make your second stay even more memorable!

ChefChic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Overall, it was a great stay and I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.
On the plus side...the rooms are a comfortable size. I have stayed in rooms in Manhattan that were so small you could barely walk around the bed, and this was not at all the case here. The bed itself was very comfortable, the view from our 42nd floor room was great, and the front desk staff were very friendly. The location is perfect; very close to subway stations and the Broadway theaters.
On the negative side...check-in time is 3:00 p.m.; we arrived at 3:35 and our room was not ready yet. The front desk was quick to offer us vouchers for a free drink while we waited for our rooms to be ready. They said that our rooms would be ready in 20 minutes. After 25 minutes I went back up to the front desk and our rooms still were not ready. Again, they were quick to offer us vouchers for another round of drinks while we waited. This time they said to give them ten minutes. After 15 minutes I went up to the desk again; our rooms were still not ready. I then let them know that we had reservations for an early dinner before a show and if we did not get into our room right away we were going to miss our reservation time. At that point the front desk called house keeping and told them it was urgent that we get into the room right away, and in another ten minutes we had our keys. Perhaps I should have started out by telling them we had early reservations.
The room was very nice, but there were a few cosmetic blemishes that seemed not up to Crowne Plaza standards.
There were two of us staying in a double room, but there was only one bath robe. I called guest services and asked them to please have house keeping leave a second robe when they were in our room the next morning. We left the room early the next morning and when we returned early in the evening to clean-up before dinner and a show, there was still only one bath robe. The next morning when we were going out for the day, I stopped at the concierge and asked them to talk to house keeping for us. When we returned to the room early that evening to clean up they had left a second robe.
And lastly, the water pressure in the shower was terrible. I am not exaggerating when I say the water was like a trickle coming out of the shower head. The gal I was traveling with has very thick hair and she had a hard time getting the shampoo out of her hair; it was that bad. We didn't want to bother with being moved to another room, so we didn't say anything until we checked out. The front desk apologized and was quick to offer us vouchers for a free breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you ChefChic2 for your review! I am very glad that despite the inconveniences you experienced that you would consider staying with us again! I appreciated your detailed feedback so I can follow up with the proper departments. I can assure you that the quality of service that you experienced does not reflect our hotel. I am glad that the front desk was quick to offer you compensation when they learned about your experience. I hope that you decide to come back and give our hotel a second chance!
Geoffrey Mills
Managing Director
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We've been here during our first time in New York, like another World.
Fantastic bedrooms and beds, loved the Bed.
Location is excellent, had a great time, near theaters, restaurants, shopping and all kind of sightseeing. Clean room, big, quiet and modern.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Luca M
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am so glad that you have had such a positive stay! NYC is a beautiful city and I am glad you chose our hotel to experience it for the first time! Hopefully you chose us for your second visit to the Big Apple!

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great location, right in Times Square across from M&M store. Friendly staff, nice decor. Rooms are typical for New York, on the small side but we didn't spend much time in our room. We stayed in room 2224 and had view of Hudson River and small sliver of Times Square as we were at the back of the hotel but in a corner end room so windows on two sides. Would definately stay there again. Wish there was a refrigerator in the room as we had kids with us and would have liked to store milk for breakfast. Otherwise good place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Times Square but those rooms usually cost more. Also, away from elevators and ice m...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Good Day Neicey828,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are thrilled to hear that you had an overall enjoyable experience, and also that you found our staff to be friendly & attentive. We are proud to respond that our guest rooms are decorated with nice contemporary accents and we are glad that you appreciated the design. Unfortunately, refrigerators are not a standard amenity, however we will gladly send up a refrigerator upon request, for a nominal fee.

We hope to see you at the Crowne Plaza Manhattan again soon!

Best Regards,

Jensen Beach, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

booked crown plaza cuz it was in the heart of times square. view was just ok ...kind of an odd spot.. took it cuz the rate was 1/2 what the others cost...so I guess I should be happy. room was nothing special for such a pricey local guess I got what I paid for...that will teach me

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LKossinyoyoyo
Good Day LKossinyoyoyo,

Thank you so very much for your detailed comments. We are disappointed to hear that your expectations were not fully met. We are grateful that you have taken the time to tell us about the issues you encountered, such as the room accommodations. Our hotel rooms are nicely renovated and to the highest standards of quality. We do agree that being in the heart of Times Square does have its benefits and being in New York City, there are many buildings that can take away from the fabulous view, however this city has so much to offer. We offer a great product as our rooms are competitively priced and our location is fascinating. .

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Manhattan.

Regards,