“Average Hotel in a Great Location”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #187 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Philad
“Average Hotel in a Great Location”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on an overnight trip to New York City to visit all of the christmas decorations. It was within walking distance of Rockefeller and Bryant Park and a long walk to Central Park. It was convenient to the Subway if that is what you would rather take. The service was below what I would expect for a Crowne Plaza. There was a long line for check in and only 2 people working who also had to answer the phone. The room was clean and spacious for what you would expect in NYC. We had a corner room that offered a view of the Hudson and a view of Times Square. We were on the 31st floor (I think) and you could barely hear the street noise except for the occasional siren. We got a great deal on this hotel for just over 100 for the night. Because of this, the hotel was worth it but I don't think I would have been happy paying the standard 300+ a night it normally is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your review of our property, Keeblerelf928. I am very disappointed to read about your experience with our service. This is not the level that we expect from our staff and I will certainly be addressing this issue. It is very nice to hear that the room was comfortable and that you enjoyed your view! Hopefully you decide to come back and give us a second try!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,021)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Keene, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travel to NYC a couple times a year for work and with family. We have tried many different hotels but we always seem to come back to the Crowne Plaza. It is clean, great location, easy parking and in a dozen or more stays we have never had a problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much Ray H for your review! I am thrilled to read that we are almost like a home away from home for you in NYC! We appreciate your loyalty to our brand and look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Well first I have to say the room was pretty, and the view as well. Bed was very comfortable. We had the concierge room which had breakfast...basically, oatmeal, toast, pastries and dry cereal. Fruit was just melon. And of course juice, coffee & tea. At check in we were given vouchers for drinks at the hotel bar which was nice. I didn't realize we had been given them until we got to the room. I don't know why we received the vouchers, but after getting to the room I thought maybe because we were staying in the room right above the boiler room. It was 74 degrees at all times. That is a bit warm for my husband and myself. We are average size people, but I think if my grandmother was alive 74˚ would have made her quite comfortable. There was a thermostat in the room, but it wouldn't let me change the temp. Finally, my husband called the desk to ask for help. They said the entire building is temperature controlled. I wasn't surprised since at check in we couldn't believe how warm the lobby was. They suggested opening a window. Thankfully - we requested NOT to be above Times Square and we were up pretty high and couldn't hear much street noise. But the window didn't offer much relief. I didn't sleep well... the bed was very comfortable, but the heat was just unbearable. Of course my husband waits until the morning to tell me that they said if the window didn't help that they would come up at look at it. Oh well—they did offer. I just don't understand why you put a thermostat in the room if you can't change the temperature of the room.

Room Tip: I always suggest being away from the elevator and the main floor is always a no, no.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Shannon F! We appreciate your feedback regarding the temperature controls in our room. We are always looking to improve our services here so all your feedback is extremely helpful! We have a team here 24 hours a day to help make your stay as comfortable as possible. Hopefully you come back and see us again very soon!

UK
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here 4th Feb til 9th Feb 2013 when everything went crazy with snow in NY!!! Is a great hotel and i dont understand how anyone can find fault. Beds were made every day and bathroom cleaned and towels replaced. Room was very clean and spacious. All staff were great, very polite and helpful. They even went so far as to credit our phone in our room whilst we had to rebook flights to avoid getting stuck in Manhattan because of the snow storm. They helped as much as possible by checking weather and news for us. Its in a great location right on Times Square and great views from our room. Tip would be to email ahead and ask for Times Square view room which is what we did. Another tip is to visit Iguana restaurant - amazing food and lovely place. PS beds were massive and so comfy.

Room Tip: ask for Times Square view..email ahead
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your stellar review! I am thrilled to hear that the team made such a good impression on you during your stay! We pride ourselves on outstanding customer service and I am happy to read that this is what you experienced! Please come back and stay with us very soon!

Brisbane
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed in the "Crowne Plaza Times Square" for four nights at the beginning of March on the Breakfast for One Dollar deal, and I also treated my parents to a room there at the same time. The quality of the room was good for New York, but missed the small touches that other Crowne Plaza hotels I have stayed in have had. No bath robes, no slippers, no kettle (a small coffee maker) and no fridge. The bed was very comfortable and the room was large, however the bathroom let it down. The sink was cracked, the bath had enamel pealing off, the silicone sealant looked like a child had slapped it on and the light switches were very old.
The breakfast buffet was very good, although service was a bit sloppy and when I asked for tomato ketchup, one of the staff members brought over a small bottle, grabbed a knife off of the table that someone was using and used it to remove the seal off of the bottle. First time I have ever seen that!
As a gold Priority Club member I was offered free Wifi internet, which was a good speed and very welcome.
The bar area is quite nice, but again service was very sloppy and drinks just 'plonked' down in front of us and the hot drinks weren't wonderful and in a standard mug without any presentation. Again, below the standards of other Crowne Plaza hotels I have stayed in before.
Staff communication was more of a grunt than a conversation, but hey, this is New York where service is minimal in the majority of places and a large tip is still expected.

Room Tip: Just see what you are given
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am happy to hear that you find our beds to be very comfortable and the rooms spacious. We do have refrigerators upon request. Thank you for your comments and input this will help us better our customer service to avoid this from happening in the future. I will meet with my staff and address every single issue. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you back again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 13, 2013

"I don't like this hotel" kept popping into my thoughts during my stay.

Other than the hotel's location, I didn't get much value by staying at this hotel and I felt uncomfortable during my entire stay.

I turned down my bed sheets and found stains/dirt on multiple levels of the sheets. I couldn't get hot water to come out of the shower. If I turned the knob for the water in the shower too far around counterclockwise in direction of the Hot "H" symbol, the water would turn off completely.

My room was designed poorly. For example, the bathroom door awkwardly swung outward and blocked access to the closet wear I hung my clothes and interfered with the vanity area. I could not locate a light over the sink. So, I had to walk back and forth from where I had my toiletries on the sink to the full-length mirror to put my make-up on.

I planned to go to the fitness center during my stay and read that I would be charged $10/day for using it. I have never stayed at a hotel that charged extra for fitness center use. I would have rather the hotel allowed me to add $10 to the total nightly rate (or automatically did so) than to find out that I would be charged for the use of a regular amenity when I arrived.

I decided to have breakfast at the hotel my first day. Getting seated felt awkward and unorganized. Even though there were seats available, the hostess said that she had to "find a seat" for me because I was alone. When I voiced that I had a training to get to that morning, she reluctantly seated me. I thought that the breakfast buffet was $26.00, which was completely overpriced to start off. Because I added "hot" items (two strips of bacon and a couple of mini pancakes), I was charged $32.00. I had a plate of breakfast food and it cost me $32.00! I've had better food at IHOP or Denny's under $10.00. The next day, I went to the bakery next door and got a better tasting breakfast for $12.00 and didn't have to deal with awkward service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
CPTimesSquare, Manager on Duty at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear LTW,

First off, I'd like to thank you for your honest feedback about your experience, which we will always use to make our product and service better in the future. The service you received does not reflect the exceptional guest experience that we aim to provide whatsoever. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered throughout the duration of your stay with us.

The range of issues you experienced will reviewed with the relevant departments, including Housekeeping, Engineering and Food and Beverage departments in order to identify what happened and ensure the issues are corrected as soon as possible. In the meantime, I hope that you'll reach out to me so we can discuss ways to convince you to give our property another chance. I would love to personally ensure that your next stay with us is as seamless and enjoyable as possible. I can be reached at 212-315-6003 or ayesawich@cptsnyc.com.

Avi Yesawich
Manager on Duty
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Spent 4 nights at this hotel from 28th feb. Hotel in a great location. Clean good sized rooms. They keep your bags before and after check in / out. Not very good comunication from the front desk at check in, no information about the hotel, can understand if there was a lot of people waiting but there was only us. The room was fabulous, views great, two windows and plenty of space. Went to look at the bathroom while waiting on our luggage being brought up and could not believe the state of the bath the enamel was peeling off large area under the shower. There was no way you could have used either the bath or shower. The porter with our luggage agreed and told us not to unpack and that he would inform reception and we would be allocated another room. 40 minutes later after no word from reception my husband went down and asked and was told here is another room key it will be the same standard although without Times Square view . It was much smaller, shower cubical no bath and only one window. Think staff on reception should have more customer training as no appolige or explanation was given for the state of the first room. It has stopped me recommending this hotel as there are a lot of hotels in this ideal location to choose from.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your time and effort you took to review our Hotel. I apologize for the experience you had with the front desk and I thank you for letting us know. I will meet with my staff and take action to prevent this from happening again. Regarding the bathrooms I would like to point out that we are currently engaged in a project that is going to improve the quality and conditions of our tubs. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. I really would love to see you back and would like to personally make sure that my staff gives you the service you deserve!
Best