“Good hotel in Times Square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #195 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Long Island, NY
“Good hotel in Times Square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I do not like to stay in Times Square hotels, but my brother and his family booked this hotel as they do not visit NYC very often. Overall, it is a good hotel. My room was a good size and in good condition. The bathtub was a bit dated, but otherwise I have no problem with the room. It is well located for those who are visiting NYC for the first time and want to be at the heart of the tourist district. For the same price, you can get a very nice boutique hotel, the type that I always book when I go into the city. The room looked recently renovated, it was very clean, and since I was on the 33rd floor – there was no street noise. However, the walls were a bit thin since the child in the room across the hall could be heard quite well when he/she was unhappy. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for those who wish to stay in Times Square.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank George_StonyBrook
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your review George_StonyBrook! Our location is definitely central for everyone wishing to see the sights! Our rooms are comfy and clean and I am happy that you had this experience! We hope that you come back and stay with us soon!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,710)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was our third time staying here. We booked a Times Square view and we were given a great room on the front corner of the building. The rooms are spacious, clean, the beds are very comfortable and there is a nice sized flat screen tv to watch. The only thing missing would be a fridge which would be nice. The hotel is very close to Duffy Square where TKts on the Square is, plus the "red stairs" . The restaurant 1605 has a nice buffet breakfast and a good selection of pre theatre dinners for around 30 dollars. A total recommend enjoy. Rhoda at the front desk was very helpful - a great employee

Room Tip: The Times Square side are wonderful, the Hudson view is also nice
1 Thank Marilyn G
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you Marilyn G for your review of our property! We are so glad that you are returning guests to our hotel! I am happy to read that you found Rhoda and the rest of our staff to be so helpful during your stay! Next time you stay with us, please let us know when you plan to stay with us again! We would be happy to send a fridge to your room!
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was able to find a great rate for this hotel and couldn't have more pleased with the room and the value. I had requested a corner room (recommended by other reviewers) and had a view of both Times Square and the Hudson - The room was very large and the bed was very comfortable. Our great rate also included a hot buffet breakfast each day of our stay for just a dollar :) The food and selection was excellent. This was a great experience and we recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: request a corner room on a high floor
1 Thank NStevens1234
NStevens 1234, thank you for recommending our hotel! We appreciate the time you took to write a review and are pleased to know you were satisfied with the room, the value, and the restaurant as well. Our corner rooms are, as you stated, pretty awesome because of the views. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Putney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Room was an OK size. Bathrooms were very dated and in fairly poor condition. Shower was feeble and took a while to coax any sort of hot water out of it.

The Fitness Centre is an odd set up. They charge $10, which can only be paid by credit card (and cannot be charged to the room). What they don't advertise readily is that Priority Club members get free access. However, you need to show a Priority Club room key and not the card itself. Talk about making life difficult.

Front desk service was bordering on rude. The lady who checked me out urgently needs to go to charm school, or have a personality transplant.

On the positive side, it was at least quite cheap - perhaps corporate rates post Sandy are unusually low.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank FoxtrotOscar
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
FoxTrotOscar, thank you for your review of the Crowne Plaza. I apologize for the confusion over our fitness center. It is a separate New York Sports Club so that is why the charges cannot go to the room. I also apologize for the treatment you received by the front desk agent. That is definitely not the behavior that we expect from our employees. We do hope that you chose to join us again in the future so we can show you that we are all friendly and helpful here!
Sunbury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Very professional service and check in procedure. Friendly staff helpful concierge with maps and directions. Very helpful bellboys and driveway attendants for hailing us cabs. Poor Internet connection $US 15 for 24 hours. Kept closing out. Go to McDonalds!!!! free. Four female friends shared a large double double room on 38th floor. Floors above 15 are more expensive but I believe better updated and appointed . Great corner room. Two large double beds and large bathroom. Toilet flooded once but staff attended promptly and all sorted and floors mopped and towels and shower curtain changed.
Took bathers for a swim in the pool but found a charge of $US for each use which was a pity as we were looking forward to a nice swim after a day pounding the footpaths and shops. Would be nice to have pool free use for guests.
A mention for Housemaid services lady Samia who attended our room to clean after a mix up with the notice we left on our door. The blank side does not mean clean the room please so they left it unmade, it apparently still means the same as the side that said Do not disturb. Samia came up in the evening when we arrived back and quickly and professionally did all our beds and bathroom. Left us plenty of extra towels and bottles of water to compensate. A nice lady. All in all a great location, right out the door and into the action, close walking distance to so much and cabs easy to get to other places.

Room Tip: As above. If you can afford it go above floor 15 for more recent updates and great views. Beds ver...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Evie002, we are pleased that you had taken the time to write such a great review of our hotel! Samia, as well as our other staff greatly appreciates your positive feedback regarding the service you had received. We do apologize for the internet connection closing out. We will be sure to work with our provider to ensure this does not happen again and we hope to see you in the future!

Sincerely

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Great hotel, great service, great location. Call client care, their there. All staff were more than helpful. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you Mat110 for your “GREAT” review! We are delighted to hear that you found our staff, location, and property all to be so helpful during your stay with us! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Best
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from the 25th of October 2012 and were scheduled to leave on the 31st.
When we arrived, the room was very small and somewhat dated, however, we were not planning on spending much time there so no real problem. The sink was broken, which was repaired within 20 minutes and the safe did not work. Again an engineer came to fix the safe but declared that it needed replacing. To their credit, it was replaced within a couple of hours and we were offered a free deposit box in the meantime. All good so far. We were unable to properly secure the window after opening it. We didn't report it, as it was not a problem (until the hurricane).
Once the hurricane arrived, I'm afraid that the hotel saw an opportunity to make some easy money.
Our flight was cancelled and, Initially, we could not get confirmation as to when it would be rescheduled. We spoke with the hotel, who agreed to let us stay on, at $279 per night plus taxes. They recommended that they would continue the booking on a daily basis and asked that we let them know as soon as we had our flight date confirmed.
After 24 hours we were locked out of the room. I was then told that we had been checked out of the room and the hotel was now full (it was also marathon weekend). The hotel said that they had no idea where our belongings had gone. After some negotiation, I was then told that we could have our room back, but the price had gone up to $349 plus taxes, this despite the fact they could not provide any hot water. They did, however, provide a free breakfast the following day, as I think they did for every guest. Surprisingly, our belongings were where we had left them.
As soon as I had a date for our flight (November 6th) I advised the hotel and extended the booking until then. I had specifically requested that, in the event we were found an earlier flight, we could alter the booking with no penalties, and was assured it was "no problem".
Once we got an earlier flight, (November 4th) I again confirmed we could check out early and was assured that we wouldn't be charged for the nights we were not staying. I was also assured that checking out in the early hours was not a problem.
When we did check out, they could not provide me with a bill, as the computers were down. I was assured that they would email it to me.
When I received the email, I saw that I had been charged for the 5th and 6th of November. I must say that I was not too surprised by that time.
I did spend almost a full day and spent a lot of money, trying to call the hotel in order to discuss the problem. I would either get directed to someone who could not deal with my complaint or they just hung up.
I have registered my complaint with the hotel group and was assured, after providing both my home and mobile telephone numbers, that they were required to respond within 48 hours.
That was on November 5th and I still have heard nothing.
We were unfortunate to have visited the city at the same time as a hurricane. That did not spoil the trip and we were amazed by the way in which the locals coped. But What was to have been a special trip for our family, descended into chaos simply by the hotel cashing in on the hurricane. The cleaning staff, however, were excellent throughout our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
Marc C, I truly apologize for all of the confusion during your stay. I can assure you that it was never our intention to take advantage of our guests because of the storm. Superstorm Sandy was a tragedy for all of us and we did the best we could to keep everyone comfortable and to be fair regarding cancellations and early departures. I hope by the time you read this response you have heard back from one of our associates. If not, please reach out to me directly and I will discuss the issue of your charges with my accounting department.
Caren Heller