“Disappointed by sharp practices” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #195 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Disappointed by sharp practices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from the 25th of October 2012 and were scheduled to leave on the 31st.
When we arrived, the room was very small and somewhat dated, however, we were not planning on spending much time there so no real problem. The sink was broken, which was repaired within 20 minutes and the safe did not work. Again an engineer came to fix the safe but declared that it needed replacing. To their credit, it was replaced within a couple of hours and we were offered a free deposit box in the meantime. All good so far. We were unable to properly secure the window after opening it. We didn't report it, as it was not a problem (until the hurricane).
Once the hurricane arrived, I'm afraid that the hotel saw an opportunity to make some easy money.
Our flight was cancelled and, Initially, we could not get confirmation as to when it would be rescheduled. We spoke with the hotel, who agreed to let us stay on, at $279 per night plus taxes. They recommended that they would continue the booking on a daily basis and asked that we let them know as soon as we had our flight date confirmed.
After 24 hours we were locked out of the room. I was then told that we had been checked out of the room and the hotel was now full (it was also marathon weekend). The hotel said that they had no idea where our belongings had gone. After some negotiation, I was then told that we could have our room back, but the price had gone up to $349 plus taxes, this despite the fact they could not provide any hot water. They did, however, provide a free breakfast the following day, as I think they did for every guest. Surprisingly, our belongings were where we had left them.
As soon as I had a date for our flight (November 6th) I advised the hotel and extended the booking until then. I had specifically requested that, in the event we were found an earlier flight, we could alter the booking with no penalties, and was assured it was "no problem".
Once we got an earlier flight, (November 4th) I again confirmed we could check out early and was assured that we wouldn't be charged for the nights we were not staying. I was also assured that checking out in the early hours was not a problem.
When we did check out, they could not provide me with a bill, as the computers were down. I was assured that they would email it to me.
When I received the email, I saw that I had been charged for the 5th and 6th of November. I must say that I was not too surprised by that time.
I did spend almost a full day and spent a lot of money, trying to call the hotel in order to discuss the problem. I would either get directed to someone who could not deal with my complaint or they just hung up.
I have registered my complaint with the hotel group and was assured, after providing both my home and mobile telephone numbers, that they were required to respond within 48 hours.
That was on November 5th and I still have heard nothing.
We were unfortunate to have visited the city at the same time as a hurricane. That did not spoil the trip and we were amazed by the way in which the locals coped. But What was to have been a special trip for our family, descended into chaos simply by the hotel cashing in on the hurricane. The cleaning staff, however, were excellent throughout our stay.

• 2 of 5 stars
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Marc C, I truly apologize for all of the confusion during your stay. I can assure you that it was never our intention to take advantage of our guests because of the storm. Superstorm Sandy was a tragedy for all of us and we did the best we could to keep everyone comfortable and to be fair regarding cancellations and early departures. I hope by the time you read this response you have heard back from one of our associates. If not, please reach out to me directly and I will discuss the issue of your charges with my accounting department.
Best,
Caren Heller
Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,709)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Marienfeld, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza from the 27th of October for 6 nights during a difficult time for the hotel during Superstorm Sandy and we were most impressed with the service. When the heating and hot water went off we did not complain and the service was excellent. Unfortunately, upon arriving home some of the contents of our suitcases had been stolen.They disappeared during the last day of our stay whilst we were at breakfast. Despite contacting the hotel directly and contacting the Crowne Plaza group, the hotel refused to reply. Eventually the Crowne Plaza Guest relations said that the items had ``not been located". In future I would appreciate if items would ``not be removed from my suitcase`` in the first place! An excellent hotel to stay at, but beware of leaving unattended suitcases in the hotel room.

1 Thank Jon G
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Jon G, I understand how you must feel and I greatly apologize for the loss of those items. I will investigate the matter and will be sure to touch base with you. Would you kindly forward us your email to me at cheller@cptsnyc.com so we could touch base? We would also like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and how we made a great impression on the service we delivered to you. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future!
Caren Heller
Director of Front Office
Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Got an excellent deal on this hotel for my mid-week stay in Manhattan. Room was typical NYC, small but nicely appointed. Location is right in Times Square so it is very convenient. Breakfast was ridiculously expensive. Go outside the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan L
Thank you Jonathan L, for reviewing our hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms and the convenience of being in the heart of time square. Our breakfast prices are decided based on the comeptitve hotels in the area. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was my first trip to New York and the location of this hotel helped greatly with the overall experience of this fabulous city. You step out of the main entrance and directly into times square.
There were four in our party so we had requested adjoining rooms and both of the rooms were very large with huge comfortable beds, Large bathroom with full bath, shower and washing facilities.
The staff were all polite and helpful in every way.
I would highly recommend staying here if comfort & a great central location are high on your list.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Karen t, thank you so much for highly recommending our hotel! We are delighted we were able to deliver upon your requests regarding the adjoining rooms. Our staff work very hard to please every guest and were very appreciative of the praise you mentioned as well! We hope to see you again!

Santo Domingo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great hotel, very nice attentions from the front desk, very fancy and big, you can stay up till late and walk in the area because it is in front of times square and near everything. The elevators are so fast!!! woowww! you can be go to floor 38 in like 10 seconds. A great place to stay in nyc.

• 5 of 5 stars
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
eve_3019, thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are definitely in the heart of Times Square and are centrally located! Our staff also thanks you for your praise and are pleased that you received the attention you deserved. We look forward to having you back as our guest!

Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The hotel is centrally located at the Broadway; a lot of sights are at a walking distance. The hotel rooms are very spacious and there are lovely beds.
The best, however, at the Crowne Plaza, is Mrs Vicky Martin in the Lobby. She was as friendly and helpful as no other person there and did her best to find aut a very important e-mail for us of wich we knew that it should have been arrived at the hotel. She was very patient in making different phone calls, trying hard to calm us down and she was extraordinary nice to us - und finally, after a long time of searching and asking - she succeeded in finding our e-mail.
She has always made us feel that we are not just numbers among people but human beings and welcome guests at the hotel.
Dear Vicky, we are very grateful to you and thank you very much indeed for your help, your overwhelming friendliness and cordiality.
Keep up your good work. You are an outstanding and wonderful person and our world desperately needs such special people like you are.
All the best from Herta, Rudy, Anna and Eva

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you Hetra L, for writing an awesome review about our hotel! Like our entire staff, Vicky Martin works hard to deliver exceptional service and greatly appreciated the recognition and praise you mentioned in your review. We are also delighted to know that we had met your needs in regard to location and a comfortable, spacious room! We all look forward to having you as a guest again!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as a 1 night stay for our anniversary so we could fully enjoy our dinner at Daniel and would not have to drive (good thing, 10 wine courses had me feeling pretty good). I was surprised at the professionalism and friendliness of the entire staff from the parking attendant to the bell boy. Being a local I shy away from times square and the craziness of the tourist scene but this hotel was not a tourist trap place. Our corner upper floor room had a beautiful view. Next time I spend a night in the city after dinner, I will spend it here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Being a local, Peter S, we are pleased that you chose to stay at our hotel! We also thank you for writing such a pleasant review. Our staff is always friendly and professional and they were extremely delighted when they heard how you appreciated them and mentioned them in your review. We hope to see you soon as we enjoyed having you as a guest of our hotel!