“True NYC Experience”

Ranked #193 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Reading, Pennsylvania
“True NYC Experience”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to celebrate my birthday with girlfriends. I am usually traveling for business but when traveling for pleasure I love this hotel. I stay here because I love walking out into the middle of Times Square and having the subway right across the street. The people, stores, signs. Isn't that what visiting NYC is about?!

Even though in the middle of the tourist area, there is no noise from street, etc. Blackout curtains keep out all the neon billboards. Inside, upscale atmosphere. Nice retreat from outside. It has been a year since I was there and they remodeled. Room size is quite large for NYC. Very clean, comfortable beds, chic decor. New hallway rugs.

Was a little disappointed in the customer service this time after all the pluses of my last stay.

- Plus/Minus: Bell service to stow very friendly but it was going to take a long time to get luggage up to room so we decided to pick up the bags ourself.
- Plus: Asked if we wanted to preregister since we arrived early. Young woman on duty was great, noted it was my birthday, welcomed me back, etc. I asked if I could be upgraded as Platinum Elite member like last time. They were sold out this time which I understood and I have no issue. I asked if I could still have the breakfast buffet as an upgrade. I was informed that they turned the Exec breakfast into a lounge but she would give me coupons for the restaurant instead. She also asked if I they could call when our rooms were ready and we went off to spend the day sightseeing.
- Neg: We never received the call that our rooms were ready. Upon return, expected speedy check in since we were already "preregistered." Nice young woman was gone and young stressed out man was now in her place at the Priority check in counter. Took a long time to get my keys. When I asked for the breakfast coupons promised earlier in the day he looked at me like I was trying to pull something over on him. He told me there were no notes to indicate this and that they did away with the Exec. breakfast so I shouldn't get it. We discussed until he begrudgingly agreed and gave me the coupons. He told me they were sold out and super busy so luggage would be a while. (My last visit was during the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade so how they could be busier or more stressed than that I am not sure?!) I told him we would get the luggage ourself rather than wait and as I walked away from front desk he said, and I quote, "Now that you know that the breakfast isn't offered anymore, don't book here again and expect to get a free breakfast like you used too." Normally, I would have asked to speak to a manager but we had dinner reservations and I didn't want to spoil my birthday getaway. Certainly not the way any customer should be treated but I think he was one bad apple and not indicative of the rest of the staff or Cr. Plazas in general.

I book with points so it's a great deal; otherwise I wouldn't pay $4-500 a night for a hotel room.

Def. will come back. I just love the feel of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Thank you Sirius72 for your review! Our location definitely is ideal when you wish to see the city! It is a pleasure to hear that we are one of your top choices when staying in New York! I do apologize for the confusion during your check-in process. Our agents all try very hard to be accommodating to all of our guests and I am sorry that this was not entirely the case when you came back to check-in. When you join us again, please let us know ahead of time so we can help accommodate you better!
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,974)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manhattan, NYC
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am a Manhattan resident in "SoPo" ("South of Power" -- those living below 34th St who lost power during Sandy), who had no power, no heat, & no hot water in our apt from MON at 9:45pm, so we were THRILLED to be able to escape for 1 night. Upon check-in, a letter from the hotel's managing director was sitting on the Front Desk. Allow me to quote it directly, "Dear Valued Guest...Due to an emergency Steam System shut down in Times Square for the repair of in street steam pipes by Con Edison (our City-wide power company), we currently do not have hot water or heat since this morning in the public areas of the hotel. According to the Con Edison representative, it will be off through Thursday, November 1st. This outage affects the entire building and much of the Times Square area. We should let you know that we have no control over this situation and we do apologize for any inconvenience..." I consider myself an intelligent women, but reading that letter left me somewhat confused. I actually had to ASK the front desk check-in person, "So I just want to make sure I understand this: the hotel has no heat or hot water?" "Uh, ya, that's right," said the person. I'm fairly certain he never would have told me this fact had I not asked directly. I THINK THIS IS A LOUSY WAY not only to do business, but to TREAT PAYING GUESTS too. In addition, the guy had my DRIVER'S LICENSE -- thus knew where I lived. Not ONCE did he ask how I was or what the last few days had been like...not that this was his job, but we'd experienced an unprecedented natural disaster 3 days prior! I was ONLY at this hotel to take a break from cold, dark,& 3+ days of non-flushing toilets. So while reviewers "sandz b" and "annieLG" seem somewhat more forgiving about their experience at this hotel, I AM NOT. We were not compensated in ANY WAY like "sandz b" was. NO ONE CARED. If you've read this far, you should keep all of the above in mind before choosing this New York hotel --- esp when you have 100's of other options in our fine city. Painfully disappointed with how we were treated, but happy to report that the rooms, bathroom, and hallways are quite nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CoolNYCChick
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here during the Hurricane Sandy. The staff were extremely helpful. Sandra on the front desk was very friendly and helpful when we checked in. The Management staff introduced themselves to us in the bar which proved helpful when I approached the front desk about the lack of hot water. The friends we travelled with spoke to Sandra earlier and she compensated them with complimentary drinks and a grab & go breakfast. When I approached, they said we could only have one or the other. I explained to the girl that my friend had been given both and that I felt it was only fair that I should receive the same compensation, she was adamant that I was dealing with her & that was all she was offering. I asked to speak to the Manager, she was gone an age. In the meantime I saw the General Manager , explained the situation , he agreed and another gentlemen sorted us out before the girl came back. Other than that, nice rooms and the rest of the staff were extremely accommodating. Fabulous location especially with the hurricane situation. Would definitely use again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Sandz B for your review! I apologize that there was a discrepancy between what you were offered and what your friend was offered. The hurricane came as a shock and we had to quickly inform our staff of policies and procedures while still maintaining our standard of service. I am glad, however, that you were able to speak with our General Manager and work out a situation that best suited you. Hopefully you are able to stay with us again soon when the skies are sunny!

Los Gatos
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne from Oct 25, 2012 to November 2, 2012. The location is perfect for seeing the New York tourist sites. The hotel lobby is small and the elevators are difficult to navigate as they don't all go to all floors and it is hard to figure out which elevator goes to which floor. Our room was adequate. We found the hotel employees to be very nice and service was very good. We were there during the hurricane and could not get out. The hotel raised our rates for the extended stay despite the fact there was no hot water for several days. The hotel employees did not like telling guests they had to pay several hundred dollars a night more. We were not able to leave the hotel as all flights were shut down. We had no choice but to pay the much higher room rate. The meal price was also very high, A buffet dinner with only adequate food was $90.00 for two! Breakfast and lunch buffets were $70 for two. I think the Crowne took advantage of captive hotel guests. Clearly it could not be overbooked because new guests could not get in until the airports and trains began operating again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
First I want to thank you for staying with us at the Crown Plaza Times Square, we are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay, specially under such circumstances; certainly it was not our intention to take advantage of our guests, we were fully committed due to the storm and the rates are based on occupancy. Please contact Caren Heller at cheller@cptsnyc.com and I will personally make sure you have a much better experience.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was nice, but the front desk service was EXCELLENT. Sandra Esp, our attendant - AMAZING. Very nice, thorough and helpful - being fairly new to NYC, she was kind and patient with our questions and offered some great tips!
Only neg - - -Hotel restaurant was horrid!

Room Tip: Book with Magellan Travel for great upgrades!!! The VIP / concierge floors offered some great bonus!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jocelyn00
It so nice nice to read your review, Jocelyn00! I am extremely happy to read that you found our front desk service to be excellent! It is part of our brand standard to ensure that you feel welcomed and at home when you set foot into our hotel! I would also like to thank you for pointing out what a wonderful person Sandra is! I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your restaurant. Next time you stay with us, please let us know at info@cptsnyc.com. We would be happy to offer you a complimentary drink at our bar!
Yanic Packin
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this hotel as I wanted to stay in Times Square and it was cheaper than the others eg Mariott and Hilton. Location is great... right opposite the M&Ms factory, above the Hersheys store, AppleBees down the street. The guy at the front desk upgraded us to a times square view on 40th floor. It was AMAZING! I'd definitely stay here again. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jellie2015
Thank you so much for the wonderful review, we really appreciate the time you took to do so. We are very glad you had an amazing experience. Please let us know at info@cptsnyc.com about your next stay with so we can get you some drinks ON US!

Philadelphia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ideally located hotel near the theater district, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc. Nicely appointed rooms. My only complaint is our room, while on the 18th floor, had absolutely no view. If you stay here, be sure to ask for an upper floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hi there! I hope you are doing great!
We are glad you like our rooms. We want to make sure you have a much better experience with us next time. Please come and see us again and email me at info@cptsnyc.com before your arrival and I will personally make sure you get the highest floor on the property!
See you soon!