“Crowne Plaza during Hurricane Sandy”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #193 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Crowne Plaza during Hurricane Sandy”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have just returned from a 4 night stay in New York and had a wonderful time only slighty marred by Hurricane Sandy. Almost everything was closed for 2/3 days attractions,shops ,resturants etc...But I have to say the places that did open with limited staff were amazing!!
The hotel staff were very hepful and professional and carried on as if Hurricane Sandy didn't exist, the only thing that affected us in the hotel was no hot water for the last 2 days but even then Vicky Martin (front desk) managed to get us a couple of jugs of hot water and brought them to our rooms herself!! We would definately return to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, we really appreciate your acknowledgment on the staff’s effort on making you feel at home.
You are neither a client nor a guest; you are a friend and part of our family.
Please come back and see us soon!

Best regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,005)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I arrived home yesterday after 5 days in New York. I was very impressed with the way the staff at the hotel coped with everything during the Hurricane. They made sure that the towels etc were changed daily even when they were not fully staffed during the worst of Hurricane Sandy. The staff and especially the lovely Human Resources lady kept spirits high and came out of their offices etc to speak to people in the bar and lounge-even bringing ice creams to the children stuck inside on the worst day!!! They ensured that there were seats for people and accomodated people in the resturant even when it was full to capacity.
If this is how they are able to run a hotel during severe circumstances then I would certainly return for another visit. Ok there was no hot water for the last to days of my visit but some of the staff had worked double shifts and were going back to homes with no water, electricity and sometimes far far worse. Being without water was no big deal everything considered.
Thank you for a great first experience of New York-I will certaily return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you NAW123 for your review. We are so glad that our efforts helped you to feel safe despite the raging storm outside! All of our employees worked extremely hard before, during, and after the storm. We are so glad that all their hard work is appreciated! We hope you are able to return to us under better weather conditions!

Sagres, Portugal
Reviewed November 3, 2012

"we are here today for the most Respect and Dedication to our Guests"

I quote the words of the Hotel Manager, and reminds me Names that I will never forget: Vicky Martin, Dash, Gloria, Dolores, Rosa, Jamie, Ritchie, Alexander, Anna. Just the few I had the most pleasure to meet of the this great Team. To all of you, my most highest Respect and Gratitude for your dedication during the terrible hours of the Sandy Storm. Most of you left behind Family and homes just to assure our confort always with a smile. Brave People!!!!

A special word to the Management, that have followed and monitored every detail in Person, being always available to help, to support or give the due explanations to the Guests. A strong Leadership, and the rigth Leaders make always the difference in such exceptional conditions of extreme stress.

It is my second stay in this Hotel. I will proudly continue to be a Guest, not a "Client".

Thanks,
Eduardo Candeias
Portugal

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
You are neither a client nor a guest; you are a friend and part of our family.
Please come back and see us soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I met Vicky Martin at the Front Desk of the Crowne Plaza at TImes Square NYC. She is both an outstanding hospitality professional as well as one of the loveliest people you will ever meet. Vicky went beyond the call -- she took her time, she made sure everything was perfect in relation to my booking, and Vicky even researched and provided me details of places to go--oustanding. If you ever get the chance to meet Vicky, you will instantly discover that the world could do with a few more people like her. Vicky is full of life and so positive, when I walked away I had a better day. When I travel, I usually do so alone and away from my wife and children, and for me it is rare that another person will take the time to help and take an interest, and I think that is because time is scarce and there is always so much to do. I don't know how Vicky does it, but I think she deservices a big thank you! Thanks Vicky. Tony

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view and more natural light, be sure to make a request when you make your...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony G
Tony G, thank you so much for your fabulous review of Vicky. She is absolutely thrilled that her dedication to customer service has such a positive impact on your stay! I certainly agree that Vicky is one of the best because of the time she takes with each and every guest. When guests feel welcome and at home then we know we have done our jobs right! We hope you return to visit Vicky and all of us very soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Huge thanks to the staff of the Crowne Plaza Times Square. Julian was so helpful in exchanging our cancelled theater tix and bring us books directly to our room, Karen at the Front Desk kept up with our ever changing reservations right up to the time of our early departure. The staff in the dining room was incrediable. They accommodated every request in a professional and effecient manner even when the line was out the door. Junior, Edward and Mana kept a close look-out for our driver arriving from Boston and offered their help in guiding him to the hotel. Overall the was my best hurricane ever and although there were some bumps, our trip to New York was made great due to the kindness and service of your wonderful staff. We will continue to return to the Crowne Plaza each and every trip to New York.

Room Tip: Best to choose a high floor away from elevators. Mostly quiet but early risers cause wake-up bell.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
We are happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! Hopefully you can come back to us when the skies are sunny.
We really do appreciate the time you took to review our hotel.
See you soon!

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have been staying in the Crowne Plaza hotel nearly a week as a four day trip got extended due to hurricane Sandy. There are pros and cons to the hotel, some of which may not be representative of normal operations because of the very stressful circumstances everyone in New York has been under. First of all, I called the hotel prior to my arrival because I realized I had booked under a higher rate than the conference rate associated with the stay. None of the people I spoke with could help with and I was told no one could assist me until Monday. By the time Monday rolled around, the weather had deteriorated to a point that all flights were cancelled and my stay has been extended. Because the transit was shut down, the services in the hotel were very limited; but they managed to empty trash, provide clean towels and buffet service in the restaurant, which really serves pretty tasty food and has friendly staff. When my flights were cancelled, I have extended my stay, which required negotiations with the registration agent regarding the rates, which has been different each night. I overheard the agent next to her telling another patron that everyone was being charged the same rate under the circumstances, and then quoting the rate, which was significantly lower than what she was attempting to charge me. I brought this to her attention, and she went to an office for about five minutes, came back and told me that the agent next to her was wrong, but that because he said that she would give me the reduced rate, but that I would have to come back and renegotiate if my stay was extended another night.

The room is nice sized for Manhattan, and nicely equipped, but could use some updating. For example, there was some faint traces of graffiti on the bathroom wall above a picture, and a slight amount of rust stains in the tub area. Because the room is handicap access, I could not lean back in the tub. However, there is a nice desk for working (this has become my office away from home), plenty of good lighting and a FABULOUS view from the 41st floor of the Hudson River ( I did a lot of storm watching from here). The bed is king size and comfortable, but they really need to invest in some better pillows; as these have cheap foam filling.

Things beyond the control of the hotel that have not gone well include having no hot water as a result of the storm. Quite a bummer to be stuck here without a hot bath! However, I know that some of the employees have also not been able to go home for several days now.

The location is very close to Times Square and all the Broadway shows, many restaurants and attractions. I would say it is a very good location if you don't mind the hustle and bustle that go along with this area. Be prepared to bring some ear plugs, however, even from the 41st floor before the storm hit the sirens, elevator and people sounds can interfere with sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View on a high floor, away from the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CPTimesSquare, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you Amber K for your detailed review. We appreciate your understanding that hurricane Sandy left us with limited options when it came to assisting our guests. As we take all the necessary precautions to prepare this storm was definitely one that has left all of us speechless and truly impacted New York beyond what we all imagined. We apologize that there were some issues with your rates during your stay and hopefully next time you stay with us we will be of better assistance to you. Please contact Caren Heller @ cheller@cptsnyc.com and I will definitely be able to work with you to determine the best rate for your stay.
Caren Heller
Director of Front Office
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We just checked in. We live in NYC and are checking in because of the hurricane. Sandra was super helpful and super nice. She made us feel at home! The hotel is conveniently located and the rooms are spacious and clean. The free wifi also helps. Thanks Sandra. Pooja

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Pooja for recognizing Sandra’s efforts at the front desk! This hurricane was very unfortunate but we are glad that you found a safe haven here! Please join us again soon under better circumstances!