“Better then ever”

Ranked #194 of 468 Hotels in New York City
East Hartford
“Better then ever”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Returned to this hotel for a long weekend and found many improvements. The front desk was efficent and helpful. Our TV had a problem, but the hotel had a staff person in our our within ten minutes to resolve the problem. The location, of course, is great. A special shout out to Mr. Leo Linton, the lobby manager, who is always available to insure your visit goes smoothly. My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several time and found it better then ever this Feb.

Room Tip: Try for a room with a Times Square view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cthusky322

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,993)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here for the 1st time in October 2010 and the hotel would have got 5/5 however what a lot can change in that time, when we checked in we were told that they did not have our reservation and the lady that was dealing with us was quite abrupt until we showed her all our documentation showing the booking, then her attitude changed up a gear and she was very nice and polite, I may add that I did not book this through any of those cheap websites I booked through Virgin holidays and paid quite a substantial amount, anyway when she finally found our reservation it turns out it was for April not February all this coming on top of nearly 24hours travelling is not good for the nerves so we had to wait until someone else re-entered the booking, eventually we were given our room.

Where do I start with that room, well it had a view of Times Square which was possibly the only good thing about it, the decor is dated, the walls are severely scuffed and marked, there are marks round the bed where they've moved the headboards, the window sills were filthy, the carpets looked like they needed a good vacuum and the fan would not turn off at all even though it was showing off on both control panels, it also had a connecting door which I personally cannot stand as there is no privacy on either side and this one was no exception we could hear everything, to me rooms with connecting doors should only be given to guests who know the people on the other side, ie families and groups of friends!! So I figured I was just tired and a little on edge from the check in so we went out to dinner to relax slightly.

On our return to the room we were confronted by a very very pungent chemical smell coming from the fan that smelled a lot like nail polish remover, this coupled with the fact that it wouldn't turn off therefore the wall and the bed were vibrating, lead to what can only be described as a vomit inducing experience. I went down to the front desk to complain to be told that he would send maintenance up to have a look, 15 minutes later I was still waiting and desperate to get some sleep so went down again to see what was happening only to be told that he had no idea what time someone would be up as they were very busy, as I was desperate to get some sleep I explained this and the gentleman asked if I would like to move rooms, he gave me another key to go and have a look at it to see if it was any better, we did and on entering the room the difference was incredible it was quieter, no connecting door and quite a bit cleaner, it didn't have a ''view'' but what there was was still essentially New York, we spent the rest of the holiday in this room and it was great!! I was very happy with the offer of another room and the efficiency of the gentleman that helped me, I wish I had got his name!

To me all this hotel needs to be perfect again is a room refurbish as they are quite dated and some are more shabby than others, unfortunately it is another example of the rooms not reflecting the ultra modern lobby which lulls you into a slightly false sense of security.

After the initial first night's disastrous experiences we had a great holiday and the hotel is perfectly located for everything, Times Square, shops, theatres are all on the doorstep and anything else is within walking distance or there is the subway nearby.

We never ate in the hotel restaurant but it always looked fairly busy, however I would recommend Cosmic diner on 52nd & 8th that place kept us in amazing breakfasts and coffee all week!!

We also visited the 9/11 memorial site as well and would recommend it, it is a very humbling and strangely peaceful experience, another thing I would recommend if you can afford it is the helicopter flight over Manhattan, it was amazing!!!!!!

Check out was a much smoother experience and the staff who dealt with keeping our luggage for us were very friendly and helpful.

All in all we had a good holiday and our issues were sorted very quickly and I love the location and ambience of this hotel I'm just a little unsure whether I would return again at least until the rooms have been updated!!!

Room Tip: Higher up is much quieter and we found that the rooms without a ''view'' as such see...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank clarabell1477
MANCHESTER
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just got home from a week in NY. We stayed at the Crown Plaza and paid ab out £1,000 for four of us for 7 nights. Arrived and helpful doorman took our bags off us and said they would bring to our room (tip!). A miserable receptionist checked us in effeciently enough and we got to our room on the 36th floor. This had 2 x queen beds which were not really big enough for myself and husband but the two kids were OK. Room big enough, had a free safe, plasma TV with various free channels, coffee machine which made very bad coffee, hairdresser (not as strong as we were used to), iron and ironing board. Closet not big enough for 4 of us but all in the all the room was nice enough. Another doorman brought our bags within the promised 10 mins (tip!). We did not eat in the hotel so can't comment on the food but on a couple of occassions we had a few drinks in the bar and nearly fainted at the price - about $8 just a bottle of Bud!! The spirits were just ridiculous. Bought in a movie for kids one night which as $17 and broadband was also a joke price wise. In terms of location - the hotel could not be beat - right in the heart of Times Square - all in all an OK hotel - clean, central, most staff pleasant but not overly helpful - location is biggest selling point.
We ate out quite a few times in and around Times Square, Applebees, TGIs, Planet Hollywood etc - food not brilliant and again pricey. if you can go out of Times Square to eat - better food and better price. We found a place called Tony's just off the Square (can't remember the block number) and this is a great Italian where each dish is too share. The portion sizes were enormous and you could easily get 1 between 4 - good food at very good prices for new york and if you mange to get a table upstairs the atmosphere is fab.
We were lucky with weather very Spring like and unseasonably mild and so we walked miles and miles and miles. Our favourites were the Intrepid war museum, top of the Rock and Central Park. The shops on the main street in Soho were good and had a mix of NY boutiques and chains. Now we just need a holiday to get over this one!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My wife and I booked a spontaneous trip to NYC. This hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff was friendly for NYC standards, the room was extremely clean, and the bed was comfortable. The view in the corner room was awesome! Nice bar inside the hotel and plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

Room Tip: Corner room/king bed.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheriff3477
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great hotel great location, times sq. Theatre district, trains right there to get anywhere, cabs everywhere shopping everywhere ect.

• Stayed February 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed here from 3rd to 6th of Feb. Checkin was quick which was great. The room on the other had was a dissapointment and needs an urgent update, the walls need a lick of paint as they had put some filler in to cover some damage but it looked unsightly also in this day and age to be still using shower curtains is unbelievable. For 3 adults it was very small and when we enquired we were told that the room we were in was the biggest they had!!!! On a more positive note the location is spot on right in the thick of it, just what you want when visiting New York. Went to see a couple of shows and would definitely recommend Jeresy Boys excellent entertainment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sweetcookie9
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I'm so used to NYC hotels that have no view or a view of another hotel room, that when i opened the curtains in my room I just staired out at the scene for quite some time. From my bed, i could see the lights of Times Square and the Empire State Building. And that bed was very comfortable and the room was a nice size and well appointed. Everything was clean and well kept. The tub appeared to have had some anti slip affixed and then removed - the result of which appeared and felt under foot to be lumps of plaster. Not bad for showering but damn painful if you were taking a soad. Overall nice place in a great location.

Room Tip: I had a corner room that looked south down broadway and west across it. Those corners end in 01, so...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business