“Location, location, location”

Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Ranked #198 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights after our trans Atlantic crossing on the Celebrity Silhouette. As we were wanting to see some shows whilst in town, we chose this location as it is in the heart of the city and therefore convenient. We had debated staying at the InterContinental, but in the end chose for this property as it was recently renovated and, once again, location.

Check-in went well despite the franticness (large groups were checking out and even larger groups were checking in -- this was the NYC Marathon weekend, we soon discovered). Being a PC Royal Ambassador, we were able to check into our room but as it was not ready yet, we just went to lunch as we were in no rush. We were upgraded to a nice room on the 39th floor with great views of the Hudson River. We had enquired about a room overlooking Times Square, but as the hotel was full, it was not possible.

Our room, a handicap room (which we did not mind) was great. Very large, roomy and a big bathroom with lots of space. Figuring the shower out was tricky, but when we figured it out it went well. The sink area was very cramped and we could not keep much there as it was full with other amenities. Near the toilet were still "notes" left by the construction / refurbishing people that was now seeping through the wallpaper. Not too nice to see "Put here" on the wall (could have other connotations). The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed that it was high, which gave us the opportunity to look out over to the Hudson River and beyond as we lay in bed.

My main gripe was the poor climate control in the room. The temperature was either warm or hot. There appeared to be a sensor that would activate the a/c in the room, but despite that it would get uncomfortably warm in the room. Luckily we were able to open one of the windows, which made us realise how lucky we were not to be facing Times Square! But despite this, the room remained warm at all times and we had to make do, unfortunately.

The Club Lounge was a joke. We went once for breakfast, but it was so crowded and messy that we avoided it the rest of our trip. I certainly hope that it will be improved as this was not acceptable by any means.

Service by personnel was good. The cleaning crew always did a great job cleaning and were great when my partner was bed-ridden for two days due to some injuries to his leg. Front desk were efficient, but impersonal at times. Concierge team was fine, the little we interacted with them. Just a bit disappointing when we asked for assistance when we needed crutches and all I got was "maybe try Duane Reed."

Other areas of the hotel were well looked after and clean. The lobby area was a bit crowded and loud, but with the marathon that weekend and what appeared to be another convention, it made the hotel feel even more crowded and hectic.

Location-wise the hotel cannot be faulted for those wanting to be in the heart of it all. The major theatrical productions are within walking distance from the hotel (and I mean at times footsteps away) and having the TKTS booth close by was also handy (although the downtown location is better as it is open in the mornings, allowing you to be free the rest of the day to shop or sightsee). Being so close to Times Square means it will always be busy, crowded and noisy - didn't matter what time of day! Some may enjoy this, but it can be exhausting for others, so travellers need to keep this in mind.

All-in-all a good hotel for those wanting to be in the heart of Manhattan, but I will probably opt for other hotels next time in areas that are not as hectic and a bit more personal.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaTSNYC, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to give us a detailed review of your recent stay. As a PC Royal Ambassador, we value your loyalty and feedback. I am happy to hear you loved your room. Please let me apologize for the maintenance issue you described. I have addressed it with the staff. Regarding the room temperature, you will be pleased to know that based on guest feedback such as yours, we are currently installing individual thermometers in each guest room. We hope you choose to visit us again in the near future. I can assure you the New York City Marathon weekend is unusually hectic and that you will find the energy calmer on a future stay.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,893)

Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed here for five nights for new year (going into 2010). The queue for check in was unbelievably long and it took over an hour to check in. Very busy! The staff at the check in were a little rude. I had booked the room a good eight months before - and when i booked, i requested a high floor room. I got the total opposite at check in. I had to argue before I got what i booked - and what i paid for. I was also entitled access to the Priority Club Lounge, but because the 'hotel policy' had changed in the eight months since i booked the room, they wouldn't allow access. But again, after making the hotel staff see sense, they agreed to it. After three hours, we were in our room! The room was great, the view was amazing - a brilliant view of the ball drop in times square. The location is probably the best for Times Square. All tour buses take off from pretty much outside the hotel and this offers convenience to those who have never been to new york before.

Overall, the location was great, the room was great but the quality of service from the staff dropped as the number of guests grew.

Room Tip: Always request a high floor!!
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
CrownePlazaTSNYC, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Times Square to celebrate the New Year. Please accept my apology regarding the delay in getting you checked in. I agree 3 hours is too long, even for a holiday. I am happy you enjoyed your Times Square view room and were able to celebrate in style. We hope to ring in 2012 with you as well.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 20, 2011

If you are looking for a central location- and don't want to waste any time the Crowne Plaza is the place- best part if you stay in the higher floors the view is great.
We had family from Rome-Italy join us and we had a joining room-great option. Reminder-if you are planning on taking a taxi or van for group outing- make arrangements before- chat with the guys at the rear of the hotel and get at least two or three options. We had to pick up our family from Rome in Jersey and we made a great deal with a local van company.
Enjoy New York- no place like it....

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for letting us know you had a five star experience with us. I am thrilled our staff was able to provide great service and local inside information. We hope you family chooses to visit again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The hotel was very clean and convenient to all atractions. I have a few complaints that will prevent me from ever staying there again. The first issue concerned a military discount. The preson I made our reservations with told me that there was a discount for serving military members but that it had to be requested when cheking in at the hotel. At check in the desk clerk told us that the military discount had to be requested when making reservations. The second issue was the hotel resturant. We were given a voucher for breakfast because the concierge dining room/lounge was unavailable. the first day the breakfast experience was okay. The second day within five minutes of finishing our meal and while working on our first cup of coffee, the waiter asked us if we would mind leaving because there were hotel guest lined up waiting to get in. We said okay and quickly got up, left a tip. and proceeded to leave. As we walked through the resturant we noticed several empty tables. When we got to the hostess stand there were two couples there and they were about to be seated. I can understand making room if there was a long line but there wasn't. I would have at least liked to have finished my coffee. These issues may sound petty but they sure made me angry at the time and will most certainly impact where we stay on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here in Times Square. I am so sorry you were not given the correct information regarding the military discount. All discounts, if available, must be requested the time of reservation. I have reviewed the standards with the team as I understand the frustration this may have caused. Regarding your breakfast, I agree a leisurely cup of coffee is essential in the morning and I am sorry you were asked move before you were ready. This has been addressed as it is an unfortunate lapse of service. We do hope you will reconsider and stay with us on a future visit to NYC. Please contact me if I can be of assistance with a reservation.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I was mildly disappointed with this stay. I was staying only one night as we were en route to Dublin, Ireland and flying out of NYC. I used PC points and it was an anniversary trip and felt the service was extremely subpar. The check in attendant was not very pleasant. He was a very tall, dark haired gentleman. He was rather surly and seemed to loathe his job. We had arrived at 12 and knew the room would not be ready but he seemed to make sure we knew that it was our fault the room was not ready and we shouldn't have arrived early (and didn't take into consideration sometimes your planes/trains/etc dictate your time). He rolled his eyes when we wanted to put down a cash deposit as my boyfriend forget his credit card and we had 10 days ahead of us in Europe. Again, I was inconveniencing him. He managed to say "Well I got you an upgrade to a corner room" when I had actually called and spoken with a pleasant female months ago who changed that and sent me a confirmation. I saw him a few times passing through the lobby and he just turned his nose up at everyone it seemed. I thought maybe he was the only bad egg but my check out attendant was just as bad. She never asked how my stay was (I managed luxury hotels, this should be asked every single time) and groaned when I needed to get my cash deposit back. During my stay I tried to utilize the shower and had the most difficult time getting to the hot setting for the water. I travel frequently and I'm not a moron so that should not have been difficult but you had to get to an exact degree angle and tap slightly. Very time consuming and the again, the front desk attendant was noticeably irritated when I called to ask.

The location is great and the physical aspects of the hotel are fine, but the staff is just awful. I think Simon Cowell is their hotel trainer for customer service. There are plenty of other IHG properties in the area (HI Wall Street was actually wonderful on our last night in NYC), don't waste your time coming here. I've stayed at the Marquis numerous times and always felt they just "got it" and their employees were fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Please accept my apology for the service you described in your review. I appreciate the candid feedback. Our Front Desk Manager and I are addressing these comments with the team as this is not representative of the service we typically provide. If I can persuade you to give us another chance, please reach out to me for assistance with a future reservation. I will personally see to your booking.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

I contacted Karen prior to arrival asking for help looking for the right room for my 79 parents. You might expect a hotel in the middle of times square not to have time for special requests...wrong. Karen took control and made sure that each of my requests was met. GREAT service!

Room Tip: right in the middle of times square close to the TKTS 1/2 price tickets booth...take advatage of the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pompui

Thank you for letting me know that Caren provided great service. I am thrilled that your parents enjoyed their room and their needs were met with professional service. I have congratulated Caren on a job well done. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2011

Prime location and excellent service. The rooms were well appointed and the facilities were well cared for. We found the staff to be very warm and well receiving of their guests. We especially enjoyed the bar and restaurant. The hotel is absolutely perfect for seeing the sites...walking distance to everything, but I guess all of NYC is walking distance to everything. Would highly recommend on any visit to the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for letting us know about your fabulous stay. I am so happy to hear we were able to provide great service and value. My staff and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

King regards,