“Gem in the heart of the city”
Review of Life Hotel

Life Hotel
Ranked #313 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in April. The first day, I did not really have my bearings and got a real surprise when I went to the pharmacy a block away and found myself inside THE Empire State Building! It was a great location for all of those tourist spots - walking distance to 30 Rock, Empire State, Macys, Madison Square Garden etc. We walked back often at night and felt totally safe.

It doesn't look like much from the outside and the rooms are tiny (not much luggage space but they will store your bags for you if you need) but the beds are SO comfy and the rooms and hallways are cleaned impeccably, you could smell the disinfectant when the cleaners were around. All we wanted was a quiet room, comfortable bed and a bath to soak in after a day of walking around and The Herald exceeded our expectations. We were in a renovated room on the 1st floor and I was a bit worried about noise being so close to the street level but there are block out shutters on the windows which kept out the light and the noise so in fact I had trouble waking up in the morning! We were so settled that even though the lovely person at Reception offered us a free upgrade to a bigger room, we didn't bother to take her up on it, which is the first time I have ever declined an upgrade!

The ONLY downside I would say is that the shower water did not seem to heat up very well (sometimes freezing) and then all of a sudden it is scalding. Sometimes it was fine and sometimes not, which kept us on our toes. I didn't report it as an issue though as really we were happy to have a bath, which did not have the same problem and was great.

The staff were super nice and accommodating. We will be back next time we are in New York for sure.

Room Tip: As for a renovated room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Life Hotel

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This Hotel has excellent location in the heart of Manhattan. Neat clean rooms though slightly on smaller size particularly single bed type. We had originally booked single room at less than $ 200 per day but when our daughter decided to also come over we took twin beds. It was about $239 but spacious.

Staff is quite courteous and helpful. We had landed up around 8:30 am instead of usual 3.0 pm checking time, used their locker for bags and common restroom & had coffee. By the time we came back in an hour we got the room.

Room Tip: select twin beds instead of single bed particularly if you have lot of luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is an historical building, and you should take time to look at the framed Life Magazine covers on every floor. Lovely polished wooden floors and nice linen. It was clean and the staff (which I didn't see much, just at the entrance on coming and going) were friendly and helpful. But it was really just a bed - if you want services like meals and gym, go elsewhere. It wasn't really that much cheaper. And because it was a magazine office, not an hotel originally, some of the rooms are a very strange shape, and there was no natural light in my room - window was right up against a wall!

The location was its best feature, being an easy walk to attractions, shops, subway, pub etc. Basically, it's right next to the Empire State Building.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Hinekiri
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was in New York both last week and part of this week. I stayed at this hotel for one night last week and I wished it were the entire trip. It was centrally located in mid-town, an easy walk to lots and lots of restaurants and shops. i enjoyed being in the city again and the staff was extremely helpful. I had expected noise at night, but there was none, although if you are a light sleeper, I would probably request a room that does not face the street. Overall, they get an "A" from me and i will add the to my short list of where to stay on my next trip! Oh and before I forget, the price is right!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would suggest telling the front desk as I suspect certain rooms are no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LoverOfSeattle
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed with my husband from thursday-sunday. We were really pleased with this hotel. Nice and good location. The staff was mostly nice and otherwise ok. Never rude and always helpfull! The hotel is older which you can see in the hallways because allthough it was cleaned, it was never really clean but a little worn off. But that was not a problem since we only slept at the hotel, and the bed was really nice and big!

The entrance is really nice looking and although the receptionist is sitting behind a glass, it did not look like a shotproof glass or anything like that, but instead we hardly noticed that the glass was there! It looked nice cleaned up and modern! There was coffee in then reception and maps that you could take with you. And I can not emphasize the LOCATION(!), right beside the Empire state building, Macys and a 5-10 minute walk to Time Square! We hardly used the metro cards since we could walk to most things we wanted to see!

I would recommend this hotel mostly to people travelling without kids since there were some noice coming from the hallways when people returned to the hotel rooms at night and it can disturb your sleep. We didnt mind since it was only for a short time and once they had gone to their rooms, it was quiet again:) The room had a bathtub and was large. It was warm and had a TV + free wifi!

All and all, everything you can ask for when you are to spend a weekend in New York and want a cheap hotel that is nice and in a good location! Good value for the buck! I recommend!

Room Tip: renovated/updated room is what we asked for and what we got, and it was nice!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel, in the heart of mid-town Manhattan, was perfect for our 3-night stay in the city. Convenient to the subway, to restaurants, cafés, shopping, museums. Friendly, helpful staff. Very, very comfortable beds. Not much noise at night. Nice little wine bar right next door. Lockers available for suitcases before check-in or after check-out. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa E
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed in the Herald Square Hotel in June 2013 for about one week. The Hotel is located very conveniently between Broadway and 5th Ave in walking distance to the Empire State Builing, Macy's, Herald Square Garden, Times Square and Flat Iron. Also at night, we didn't worry to stroll through the area as a couple.

Getting there from Newark Airport is very easy. We took the train to New York Penn Station and simply walked from there to the Hotel.

Check-in was friendly and efficient. I also liked the small candy selection provided at the check-in desk and especially in the general seating area at the coffee bar :)

The room itself was okay:
Facilities and furniture didn't seem brand-new, but everything was clean. Towels were changed every day. We missed a hair-dryer and some sort of hooks in the bathroom to hang things like towels or a washbag.
Since it was June, we sometimes switched on the A/C which worked well, but I'm glad, we didn't need it overnight because this would have been a little too loud for us.
The walls to other rooms are not very thick, so sometimes we could hear our neighbour's TV. However, the street got much more quiet during the night than we would have expected it in NY, so we actually slept very well.
Furthermore, there was a safe in the room, a flat iron, a desk with a radio and a telephone, a small wardrobe with some cloth hangers. Wirless LAN access worked well.
Although not really spacy, the room was large enough for us and just what we think one could expect for this price and location in Manhattan.

Breakfast was not provided in the Hotel, however, there are some options in the neighborhood. We used the quick self-service deli Speedy's (1271 Broadway, just next to the Herald Square subway station) a lot where we enjoyed the breakfast buffet and delicious pastries.

Altogether, we would book the Herald Square Hotel again for our stay in NY as tourists.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple