“Pricey but ok.”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #332 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed one night in a Queen bed room which was compact but we are talking New York after all. The hotel aims for a very luxurious feel but the bathrooms seem to be showing some signs of wear and tear.
We chose it for location as we needed to get a 5.00am taxi to JFK and figured there would be plenty outside Grand Central Station - there were!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DawnLez
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear DawnLez,

Thank you for your comments. I truly value the opinions of our guests. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our central location in midtown manhattan. Although we take great pride in maintaining the physical accommodations of the hotel, it appears we fell short during your visit. Please accept our apologize. I have reviewed your comments with our team and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Marketing & Communications Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (9,255)

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel three times on business and twice on holiday. I also stay at Grand Hyatts in Singapore and Bali. The hotel in New York doesn't deserve the name "grand". It is overpriced & overcrowded. No kettles in room & paying $3 to store bags is pathetic. Never again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank MyBloodRunsGreen
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear MyBloodRunsGreen,

We appreciate your loyalty to Grand Hyatt all over the world, but regret that your experience at our hotel left you with a negative impression. With five stays from which you can draw conclusions, it is both surprising and disappointing that we could not better serve you. From what I can gather, value is the primary sticking point, with concerns ranging from nightly rates to a lack of in-room amenities. In hopes of better understanding your experience and making any necessary changes, I invite you to reach out at your convenience. We look forward to the opportunity to earn back your trust.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I have been there for 3 times. Location: very good, over the Grand Central Station, fresh market there, subway station in a few steps, far enough from the noisy Times Square but close to reach there in 15 min walking. Room: small, realy small for this category of hotel. Check in 15:00, check out 11:00. Or, 4 hours gap!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cnomoto
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Cnomoto,

Thank you for taking the time to review Grand Hyatt New York. Our central location keeps us close to just about everything New York City has to offer. I am sorry to read you were disappointed in the size of your room. Real estate is a premium in New York so we have done the best we can with the space we have to make the rooms as comfortable and convenient for our guests. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I travel a lot for work. So much so that I have earned some kind of status with all the major brands. Having just achieved Hyatts Platinum level, I was kind of looking forward to a slightly nicer than average stay in New York, silly me.

The location of this hotel is outstanding. Steps from Grand Central Station (a place I passed through twice a day for 15 years) and smack in the middle of mid-town, it's a great launching pad for a NYC trip

Lobby is sleek and quiet, striking in fact. It's so hip that it's virtually impossible to see the teeny tiny sign for platinum/diamond check in. So, I waited in a long line. Once through, the check in went smoothly.

My room itself was one of the smallest I've ever stayed in. If this is what platinum status gets you, regular travelers must be really screwed. Seriously, it was so small that I wanted to ask for a room change but I now had zero time since I waited so long to check in

After a long business dinner I climbed into bed and had a great nights sleep. Bedding is really comfortable. Hit the gym in the AM. All in working order there

All-in-all, just not quite what I expected.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank PMFRVA
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear PMFRVA,

We appreciate you sharing your review and choosing the Hyatt Grand Central for your business travel. It sounds like much of your stay was positive; our location is truly one of the best in the city with access to just about everything. We know the importance of a comfortable night’s sleep, especially for business travelers, which is why we strive to make our rooms comfortable and luxurious. With all that in mind, I am sorry that you felt there was still something lacking in your visit. If you’d like to reach out and discuss any issues in more detail, we’d be happy to hear from you.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Very nice and busy hotel. Rooms have been newly decorated with a very modern and clean look. The service was efficient all very helpful. I locked myself out of my room and a very nice gentleman available on Floor 27 was very helpful in helping us to get back into our room while also maintaining guest security. Ouch - don't drive. Valet parking is expensive at $65 per 24 hours. But that's New York. The best thing about this hotel besides its comfort and convenient snack counter in the lobby open 24/7, was the location. This hotel is adjoined to the historic and very beautiful Grand Central Station. And what a surprise to find a lovely and unique market in the same complex with everything that you could want. For the locals, I'm sure that this market is a common place to stop to pick up groceries for dinner. I enjoyed browsing. This hotel is within walking distance of Rockefeller Center and Time Square. I have been to New York for many long-weekend trips and would say that I enjoyed the ease of being able to grab a subway or stay close to the hotel and find anything that I wanted. I'll return. Oh yes....thank you Izzie for accommodating a reservation glitch. You have no idea how much that meant to us.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank LovetoGo017
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Dear LovetoGo017,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate your kind words about Grand Hyatt New York! It's great that you took advantage of our 24-hour Market during your stay because it provides unbeatable convenience. You mentioned that you enjoyed exploring Grand Central especially for its food options. I hope you tried Shake Shack, as it's my favorite burger places in Grand Central. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to soon!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 3 nights as I was attending a business conference there. The location is very central to many businesses, shopping etc.

However the hotel feels huge, soulless and worn out despite the rooms being somewhat renovated. The cost was expensive for what you get (lack of toiletries, no water, no kettle, small room). I had been advised not to stay at this hotel and consider others (W Hotel Lexington is a better nearby choice although the rooms are just as small or smaller)! I would consider other hotels if I wanted a special experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Vegemitelover
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2014

Dear Vegemitelover,,

Thank you for your feedback during your stay at Grand Hyatt New York in June. We truly appreciate it as it allows us to better our services that we provide to you, our guest.

Our pricing and room size is comparable to other 4 star hotels in the Midtown Manhattan area and we feel we provide good value given our great location directly above Grand Central and our extensive facilities. But clearly this was not how you experienced your stay, and for that I am sorry.

Please contact me directly at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com prior to your next visit and I will personally see that any additional toiletries and amenities that we can provide are awaiting your arrival.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've stayed at a number of hotels in NYC and this ranks as merely "meh." The description of the room made it sound huge but in actuality because of its long and narrow layout, it didn't feel very large at all. The bed was comfortable and it was clean, but the furniture and decor gave the space a very sparse and utilitarian feel that didn't make me feel at all pampered. In fact it made me want to get out and leave as soon as possible and just use it as a place to sleep, which I guess if you're in New York that's all you really need anyway. The location is convenient to everything, but if you're on vacation and want something that feels a little more comfortable and luxurious, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear BigglesworthNewYork,

Like you, we are disappointed that your stay failed to meet your expectations and our high standards. We understand that everyone has his or her own preferences when it comes to room décor, but ultimately we want every guest to feel comfortable. “Pampered” is a good word to use, and a feeling we hope to achieve with a return stay. We have a wide variety of rooms and suites and would love an opportunity to find you one that feels a little more like home.