“Can't beat the location, clean rooms, great staff”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #334 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed here for the New York Auto Show in May 2014. Love the location -- convenient to get to just about anything, plenty of amenities and places to eat nearby (head down to the basement levels of Grand Central Station, anything you could possibly want is there). Rooms are clean, if a bit small, but typically sized for New York City. Just be prepared for not much of a view -- this isn't the place to stay if you're hoping for a great vista of the NYC skyline, but it's a perfectly good business hotel or home base for tourist fun.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BragmansWorld
Write a ReviewReviews (9,098)

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 4 days. Located next to Grand Central Station which is a great location so you can catch any of the subway lines. We had a room with 2 double beds, as requested and the check in went smoothly. The room was neat, clean and comfortable but the TV wouldn't work. It seems that it was unplugged. When trying to wash up. I couldn't get hot water for about 5-10 minutes. I tried running the sink and tub faucets. that's when I discovered that the tub drain was clogged up. Calls down to the desk fixed both the TV and the tub drain but the water always took a long time to get warm. We were on the 19th floor so I don' t see where that would have been the problem. My roommate had stayed here before and stated that he had never had these problems before, so I think I would try this hotel again for the location.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was my first visit to NYC and the hotel was not selected by me so I was unsure what to expect. Bottom line: great location and pretty comfortable rooms with a couple of nice perks -- the little market in the lobby for breakfast items, water bottles, etc. and the nice bar off the lobby. Room was small, but I get that it's New York and space is at a premium. Bed wasn't as comfortable as a Hyatt we stayed at recently in Scottsdale. However, we had a nice view of the iconic Chrysler Building across the street which was a plus. Location was walking distance to Broadway shows, great restaurants, UN, Empire State Building, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, etc. We cabbed it to upper east side museums, World Trade Center memorial and ferry to Statue of Liberty. Grand Central Station is next door to the hotel (in fact hotel is built over the whole Grand Central shopping area which is convenient). Check out the Campbell Apartment bar, formerly a private apartment on the southwestern corner of Grand Central for a touch of old New York. I'd stay here again (and I'm pretty damn picky!)...

Room Tip: Request an upper floor away from elevators to minimize noise (street and otherwise). Front desk was...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PPop54
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

It's a good location and everything just know that like it's not that fancy. If u can the lounge has good breakfasts and daily snacks. That's the only thing that was good. Everything else wasn't extravagant. Try Times Square hotels which are even more involved in the city and walking distances.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Irantraveller
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Irantraveller,

Thank you for staying at Grand Hyatt New York and for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the daily breakfast and snacks in our Club Lounge. I completely understand your preference for more extravagant hotels in NYC. We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you again and ensure you have a Grand stay with us! I look forward to hearing from you at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing and CommunicatiosnManager

Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Grand is in a great section of midtown near great eateries, shopping on Lex and Park Avenue and a short walk to Times Square and Fifth Avenue (shopping central for my wife).
The upscale experience begins in the lobby which, because of the sculptures, makes you feel you just landed on Easter Island. The rooms are some of the largest in Manhattan and many with a great view of the sky line. The shops and restaurant in house afford typical or better Hyatt quality. We try to visit every other year and chase jazz and other venues (our first Italian opera this coming September) and the Grand gives us great relaxation and service on our rest period between each. We love it.

Room Tip: We prefer an upper floor to stay away from city din.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

...It just means that, although the hotel was very nice in so e respects, it isn't my favorite.

Likes--Grand lobby, 24/7 food available, nice clean room, pleasant and attentive service. Location couldn't be better, especially if you want to takea train from Grand Central. A "secret passage" connects the two!

Dislikes-- Big, loud, rushing at all hours. I think that's just the nature of the beast.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank EatWithAnnie
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2014

Dear EatWithAnnie,

Thank you so much honest feedback. It's comments like these which help the hotel improve and I will be sure to share with the management team. Please accept our apologies as we fell short during your visit with us in May. Grand Hyatt New York prides itself with making guest stay more personal. Please contact me directly at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com on your next visit as I would like for your to experience the energy of New York without hearing our noises at all hours. I am delighted to hear that you took advantage of our "secret passage" between the hotel and Grand Central Terminal. We look forward to welcoming you back soon and exceeding your expectations!

Paula Ilabaca
Marketing & Communications Manager

Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is a very good hotel, location is prime and service and rooms are excellent.

Break fast was tasty. Check in a bit slow and check out very fast, 1 min walk to grand central station. You can leave your luggage for 10 dollars day if you have to travel light to other state.

Room Tip: High rooms nice view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business