“Great Hotel in a Great Location!”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #333 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Grand Hyatt - Grand Central Station was an awesome hotel in the center of everything! I love how close the Subway was and Grand Central Station was next door. Lots to do around the area and easy access to everything. Food vendors were right outside the door and the food court in Grand Central Station was wonderful to grab breakfast before seeing all the sites.

The hotel was modern and the room was clean. I am usually a Hilton girl but this Hyatt was pretty decent. Rooms were a good size for a New York hotel. The bathroom is super small, but that is what you expect for New York. We enjoyed the stay very much. Our flight was delayed on the last day, I called down to get a late check out and Stephanie was nice enough to grant us the late check out even though she mentioned it was sold out the next day. That was GREAT customer service, thank you Stephanie! When I come back, I am staying here again!

Room Tip: If you can, take the roof top tour, fabulous views!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I've seen some bad reviews and mainly good reviews for this hotel, but in my experience this hotel was top notch, fantastic rooms, great housekeeping staff, lovely front desk staff who sorted me and the whole family out with free Internet, and excellent facilities to check in for you return flights and printing off boarding passes, and great door staff who hailed us a cab in 2 seconds and put all are luggage in for us shut all are doors plus the I will be returning in 2016 for me and my wife's 10th wedding anniversary, and we will definitely staying at the Grand Hyatt New York ?????

Reviewed April 17, 2014

The Grand Hyatt is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for close proximity to Grand Central. Check in is a breeze, professional and friendly staff. I asked for a recommendation for breakfast and received two recommendations - one across the street and the other just two block's away - Bloom's Cafe, which I highly recommend.The room didn't have an amazing view and I would describe it as a above average hotel room which at a price of just over $200. was fine with me. I asked for a late checkout and that was no problem. Being able to check our bags , enjoy the city and pick them up and be next door to Grand Central was perfect. I plan to stay at the Grand Hyatt the next time I am overnight in the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel! Fabulous location right on top of Grand Central Station. The staff is incredibly courteous and helpful.
My only complaint is that I checked in to a non-smoking room that smelled like an ashtray, but the front desk was very responsive in relocating me to another room. I'll be back!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2014

First I'll start with the positive things since they far outweigh any negatives...Suite is HUGE, sleek, modern, beautiful and clean. 2 bathrooms; one of which has 2 sinks, and a to-die-for shower! Tons of closet/storage space, personal safe, Lots of personal touches; umbrella, robe, slippers, larger sized shampoo/conditioner, magazine/rack in the bathroom. The light colored wood is very pretty and there's lots of it throughout. I love that Grand Central Station, with shopping/eating, is so close and does not require having to go outside. Nice TV's/stereo system, automated window shades and "touch" lighting. The staff is very pleasant and efficient.

Now, the few negatives...I do not like that the desk is literally in a closet, in the bedroom. There's no "work space". It would be far more convenient for it to be in the sitting area (there's certainly plenty of room for it); so instead, I am using a small end table for my laptop, which is really awkward and uncomfortable. The kitchen is cute, with a nice peninsula; however, no bar stools. There's also no sink. Touch lighting is nice but in the kitchen/sitting area, it is all or nothing. Several non-functioning light and 1 non functioning window shade. Again, none of the negatives would prevent me from staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I hate the old, "Oh (insert subject of review), I wanted to love you..." opening, but oh Grand Hyatt New York...you get the picture.
There really isn't much to be said that hasn't been reviewed ad nauseum. The location provides a great base of operations for getting around New York City. The fact that you can enter Grand Central Terminal without even stepping foot outside is remarkably convenient. The rooms are perfectly nice. Nothing special, and while small, not terrible by New York City standards. They are not, however, on par with the level of accommodations someone who has stayed in other Grand Hyatts would expect.
Unlike many other reviewers, I had no problem with the check-in staff. I actually had someone from the rewards center come out and bring me around to check in despite the fact that I am on the lowest of all possible rungs on the rewards ladder. Was put as far away from the elevator banks as possible and on a higher floor as I requested thanks to my fellow trip reviewers (excellent advice!). The young lady went out of her way to explain the hotel layout, features, WiFi procedures, etc. Sadly, this is where my positive experiences with the staff end.
Later in the evening, I noticed black stains all over the white comforter. I called down to the front desk and asked for it to be replaced. Was told that housekeeping would be up to take care of it while I went out to dinner. When I returned, same stains. Decided to drop by the front desk in person. Same story, was told it would be taken care of "right away." Went to the bar to have an after dinner drink and dessert, and guess what? Yup, same comforter. Ended up just tossing it on the floor and bumping up the heat for the night.
Which brings me to problem number two. While waiting for housekeeping and having my aforementioned after dinner drink and dessert, the service was absolutely horrible. Walked into the bar and asked the bartender if we should seat ourselves at the tables or if we needed to be seated. He told us to grab a table and someone would come by for our orders. 10 minutes passed, no one came by. Keep in mind these tables are literally five feet from the bar, and there were only two patrons there. Went up to the bar again to ask the bartender if we could put in an order, was again told a server would be by. Five more minutes pass, and I see a server entering a ticked on the POS terminal at the end of the bar. Finally I get up to tell him we were there and would like to order a drink and some dessert. Only then did he come by with some menus and take our orders.
In summary, there was nothing terrible about this hotel, but when the best thing you can say about a hotel is that it has a convenient location, something is a bit wrong. For the right price, I'd consider staying here again, but there are way too many other options in NYC at a similar price point to make a return trip likely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the elevator banks as possible! I have heard the rooms on the lower...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bassjwp
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

great location - with grand central next door. ask for a room grand central side close to 42nd street for a view. Staff member at check in told us they don't have views but our room had a good view of 42nd street. Rooms were a good size. 10 min walk to times square

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple