“Business Travel”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #330 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stay at this hotel regularly. Rooms are typical NYC rooms, small with low ceilings. The rooms are fairly clean though. Staff is warm and friendly. Restaurant is good for breakfast and okay for dinner but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Wifi is very good and the snack bar int he lobby makes it easy to get a work done well into the evening. Great access to Grand Central and cabs are usually waiting out front.

Room Tip: Skip the view and go for an internal room. Bigger bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (9,333)

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed here last weekend for the NCAA Tournament. The lobby area is like a bus terminal and always busy especially with the UN kids convention at the hotel. The room was decent and the bed was comfortable. Got a king bed instead of 2 doubles. The air was not working 100 percent but it was ok as I had lowered to 60 degrees. We had no housekeeping one of the days. Fitness center was decent. Got in the club lounge for breakfast and it rivaled the Ritz Club as far ad food and amenities. They also had a decent marketplace and location in Midtown very central. The average rating is given since is supposed to be Hyatt's premier hotel and honestly not getting a call from the manager regarding a few of our issues brought down the rating.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Nailcutter
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2014

Dear Nailcutter,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you were satisfied with aspects of your stay with us while on vacation with your family – most notably the Club Lounge, Fitness Center and Market, our 24 hour grab and go. However, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay. Our Guest experience is of paramount importance to us and the fact that a Manager did not reach out to you to resolve these issues personally is very disappointing to discover. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience to discuss these matters further or if there is anything further you wish to bring to our attention at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com

Thank you once again for your feedback Nailcutter. We look forward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here in March and had a fantastic time the hotel is close to time square and 5th Avenue and you can walk to almost anywhere. The thing that stood out the most was how helpful the staff were especially Keisha from food services. She was able to help we with a surprise for my wife's Birthday and throughout the whole trip could not have done more for us. I will definitely look to book here for my next trip to NY.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed in a relatively large suite. The bed was great, the living and dining rooms were as spacious as any I have seen in NY, and the bathroom was tiny. I had to lean forward on the toilet because my shoulders could not fit between the vanity and the shower. There was almost no counter space around the sink. The shower was pretty solid, though also narrow. The decor in the living room was terrific. We even entertained friends. The location, particularly with the back door to Grand Central, was terrific. High volume property was a bit noisy, and would be great with a decent bathroom.

Room Tip: Rooms near elevator can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BigDTexan

Dear BigDTexan,

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy our fantastic location during your stay in March! However, I am saddened to read that while you enjoyed our newly refurbished guest rooms, you found your bathroom to be somewhat unaccommodating. With feedback from Guests such as yourself, we are currently in the process of reevaluating our bathroom layouts and your insights has proven most helpful in delivering a better experience to our guests. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com

BigDTexan, we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt New York in the near future.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Before I review this place, let me say that I have stayed in Grand Hyatts all around the world. Some are incredible fantastic visions of heaven (GH Shenzhen), some are like Disneyland with style (GH Beijing), others are the epitome of opulence (GH Hong Kong). Others like the GH NYC are drab, soulless echos of their foreign sisters. Note, a Grand Hyatt will always beat a typical hotel but typical is not the arena I am judging the GH NYC on. I am judging the GH NYC on the standards that I believe its own brand says they stand for.

What I liked:

- The room was surprisingly large
- The bed was alright
- The shower was walk-in (YESSSSS!!! -- I _hate_ tub shower combos)
- The lobby had a hip, urban vibe
- The location rocked -- right next to Grand Central

What I did not like:

- Brusque, rude, "typical NY" service. "Get to the back of the line, SIR!" type stuff. ZERO grace, zero care, zero involvement
- It was busy, really busy and seemed to cater to tour groups of high-schoolers
- The room was not exactly super clean (dust bunnies under couch etc.)
- The internet was slow unless you buy their ripoff "super plan". Horrible low-class gouging move, guys. What's next ? Pay a dime to get hot water?
- The hotel was clearly a facelifted old place (the old "Commodore"?) and as such had unwisely decided to save money by keeping the old, single-paned windows in my room. I awoke to sirens, trash trucks and traffic several times. This was terrible for me since I had an early flight out the next day.

Overall this was a standard huge, nameless Manhattan hotel that had a renovation package to make it look modern and "cool". This renovation package is showing its age since the hotel is very busy. Other than the hip, cool posters and wallpaper and couches, I did not really perceive a "spirit" of the place that would make me want to yearn to return.

I stayed there. I slept. I awoke to trash cans and garbage trucks clanging in the streets below. I checked out. No one cared. Whatever...

fmb

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank S3CR3T3X3C

Dear S3CR3T3X3C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that there were positive elements to your stay with us in February. However, I regret that your overall experience did not meet your expectations. As you may know, Grand Hyatt prides itself on setting itself apart as being Bold, Dramatic, and Exciting- all three of which seemed to be lacking during your stay. I am very concerned that a Manager did not personally reach out to you to address these issues during your stay or upon checkout. We take all guest feedback very seriously and I would very much appreciate it if you would contact me at paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com at your convenience to discuss these matters further or if there is anything else you wish to bring to our attention.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Marketing & Communication Manager

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Grand Hyatt had typical small NYC rooms, but this big production value hotel (lobby was immense) felt cold and impersonal with tons of Model UN kids floating around. Always busy, there are no nooks and crannies to have a moment's peace. Bathroom tile grout was dirty and that's surprising as the room looked like it has just been redone. Right next to Grand Central, the location was the bomb. Bar looked much better in online photos, as when we arrived, it looked tired and dirty, as if it hadn't seen a refresh in years.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank mcclungp
GuestExperienceGHNY, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear mcclungp,

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to our guests the best, most attentive service and we understand that may be difficult at times. On behalf of Grand Hyatt New York, I apologize that you had a bad experience with the large group in house during your stay. I am happy to hear that you felt the location was a success. I know that you have many choices to stay in New York and I hope you choose to stay with us upon your next visit. Please feel free to contact me so I can personally take care of your reservation-paula.ilabaca@hyatt.com

Reviewed March 29, 2014

upgraded to a view room which on the site's pictures looks much bigger than a standard; given a room on the 29th floor same size as a standard. Not worth the difference in price. Not much of a view either;

Room Tip: do not bother to upgrade to a view room!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nina572014

Dear nina572014,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Grand Hyatt New York. We care about each of our guests' stays and are remiss to hear about your disappointment. We do comparison shops with other hotels in our area to ensure our pricing is comparable to other 4 star hotels. We feel our rooms are of good value and good location for our guest, and I apologize if we did not exceed your expectations. We know that you have many choices in New York and we hope our customer service will bring you back again.

Marketing and Communications Manager