“Great area!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great area!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I had a great time here when i came a few months ago. The hotel is right beside Grand Central Station which was pretty cool! The area it's in is busy, so if you like busy and fast paced then this hotel is perfect. The room we stayed in was really nice and clean. Yes, it was a little small but it's NEW YORK CITY, you aren't going to find anything huge. Seriously. And plus you aren't going to be spending much time in the room because New York City always has something going on. The maids were very pleasant, we left a note for extra pillows and towels and she was very generous with that. We did not have any bad experiences with any of the staff there, everyone was remotely pleasant and professional. And just a small tip, across the street to the right is a breakfast place called Pershing Square...absolutely amazing! All in all, it was a great experience at the Grand Hyatt =)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,096)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed four days for a Convention. Convention Services was top notch especially Karen Fender. Rooms were nice but shower curtain was moldy as was grout (I reported when I checked out, I was just to busy and tired to say anything earlier). Front Staff was friendly but had little real knowledge of the area and most of my basic questions could not be answered. My cell phone was much more useful than they were. Had an incident with an upper staff member (wish I had gotten his name) because I used a small cart in an elevator? He rudely jumped all over me, not sure exactly what the problem was but he could have been more professional about it. Worst Hyatt I have ever stayed at as far as Customer Service goes, basics OK but nothing exceptional, I expect more from a Hyatt. Valet service very good but pricey $65 day but easy once you find it. Great Bell Staff who were quick, friendly and more helpful in answering basic questions. Maybe they should train the front? A well trained staff keeps people coming back, they missed here for me, I will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GuestExperienceGHNY, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear GoingSomewhere2014,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am concerned by your experience, especially in regards to our staff's conduct, helpfulness, and overall service. There is nothing more important to us than your happiness and satisfaction, and unfortunately it sounds we missed the mark while you were here. I sincerely apologize, and encourage you to contact me directly at your earliest convenience. After speaking about your experience in greater detail, I will personally take steps to ensure our service - from housekeeping to the front desk - is operating in peak Grand Hyatt fashion.

You deserve the best when you stay at our hotel, and I hope you'll give us a chance to make things right. I look forward to speaking with you and starting the process of regaining your trust.

Guest Experience Manager
christopher.doran@hyatt.com
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had a fantastic stay at the Grand Hyatt! I was greeted by a friendly receptionist and after a quick check in, was in my spacious room. The double room had a small but nice view of 42nd Street, was decorated in modern furniture and artwork, had a reasonable sized TV, mini fridge etc.

The location is unbeatable. I caught the train EVERYWHERE from Grand Central station, which is literally right next door. 10min walk to Times Square.

Pros: location, facilities - 1st class gym, clean, modern and spacious rooms, friendly staff (from reception to doorman)

Cons: aircon is self adjusting - when it gets to or drops below the set temperature, it kicks up again. Was very difficult to get to sleep with that!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 4078andbeyond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed here for a pre-Christmas visit with family and the room was lovely. Comfortable bed, clean room. Bathroom was a bit cramped and the outlets for the hair dryer are right over the toilet so you needed to dry your hair in an odd place. Closet was huge. Staff was helpful and brought a coffee maker to the room right away. Soaps and shampoos were nice. We had a large group and the hotel has an SUV to take you to places like the 9/11 memorial which was fast and convenient. Trains are right there and its actually walkable to TImes square. There is a "Starbucks" coffee area next to the lobby with nice but expensive snacks. Some staff in the restaurant were a bit haughty. but our server was kind and attentive -- and the food was just lovely for breakfast. They kept the coffee cup filled as well as the water. The same area was a lounge/bar in the evening -- servers could be more attentive but drinks were well done. Decor is very modern and frankly just odd. Not enough seating in lobby nor was it comfortable to sit and wait for other members of the group -- but hot cocoa and cookies were a pleasant surprise. Parking cost is pricey, but not unexpected in the city. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoriSLewisburg
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for SB week. Great location, nice rooms and friendly staff.

I was upgraded to grand double room which was spacious for a NYC Hotel.

Grand club was very well serviced, designed and equipped. Breakfast and evening setting was well stocked and tasty.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank jeb1969
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed only one night, but the hotel was very modern with nice lighting and plenty of table space to work. I did not like that I needed to pay for wifi for a business hotel. It was very clean with a very comfortable bed. Checking in and out was very quick but only at the front desk.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LoveVirginia
Yokohama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I come here a couple of times each year. Pretty reluctantly. I travel with a group and check in is always chaos - 45 mins this time. Rooms are ok but dark and faddy. On leaving I need to leave my bags for 10 mins with the porter to check on my group -usd 3 per bag requested - truly laughably for a simple favour.
It's ok here but could be so much better.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Gavin W
Dear Gavin,

As a frequent guest of Grand Hyatt New York, you have come to know our hotel better than most, and we greatly value your feedback. So thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I am sincerely sorry to learn that your stays have not met your expectations or our standards. Forty-five minutes is simply an unacceptable wait time, no matter our occupancy. I will speak with the front desk staff and porters to ensure we are on the same page.

I agree that our hotel can be so much better - and it will be. If there is anything I can do at this time to make things right, please let me know. I hope you choose to give our hotel another chance, because I'm confident that your signature Grand Hyatt experience is on the horizon.

Guest Experience Manager