We have stayed at the |GRabd Hyatt a number of times before & were always more than happy. However, it was with some trepidation after we read of major refurbishment that we returned for a week's break. What used to be an impressive entrance with chandelliers & deep seats has been stripped down, now resembling a small airport's departure lounge. The restaurant has become a private dining room & a snack bar has been `installed' in the far corner of the lobby. OK, reception give you tokens for free coffee, but the food there is unappetising and very expensive. Worst of all, and quite inexcuseable for what claims to be a 4 star plus hotel, they serve the coffee in paper cups. One would realistically expect proper cups & saucers. The `restaurant has now been situated at the fron on a mezzanine, but the menu was uninteresting, so we didn't eat there. The bar prices are extortioante, even by NY standards, so we went into Grand Central for drinks at half the price in a location with many times the atmosphere.
The location, as most confirm,. is superb, with direct access to Grand Central Station & the subway, including the Times Square shuttle, so everywhere is in easy reach. Most touristy places are walkable.
Unfortunately, the hotel itself has suffered. We were told we would be in a refurbished room. It certainly wasn't. The aircon kept blasting noisily through the night & couldn't be adjusted. When mentioned the reply was " turn it off completely, but then you will freeze". The bath was badly chipped; the shower head was loose & I had top phone housekeeping to ask how to turn the darn thing on - which required a bgreat deal of strength. I had to phone housekeeping a few times after, mainly to ask for clean towels - Although the sodden threadbear things we were given had been left on the floor to indicate they needed changing, they were simply hung back up - not what you would expect from ahotel charging the prices Hyatt ask. The housekeeping left a lot to be desired & the staff, generally were disinterested. Except for the Concierge who were excellent & most helpful.
A futher criticism. Hyatt seem to be looking to squeeze out any extra cash they can with high prices for wi-fi & a `disgusting' $3 an item charge for cases left between check out & actual departure - flight times do not necessarily match the hotel's wishes.
It pains me to `slag off' a much loved hotel, but there seems an even more impersonal approach to their clientelle than before and no interest in `taking on board' criticism.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premier location in the heart of New York's famous midtown. Striking lobby with waterfalls, seating areas and three restaurants and lounges. Direct access to Grand Central Terminal and connected to the Chrysler Building. Steps from Times Square, Shopping and the Theatre District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hyatt Hotels Corporation and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Hyatt New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt Hotel New York City
- Grand Hotel Hyatt New York
- Hotel Hyatt New York
- New York City Grand Hyatt Hotel
- Grand Hyatt Hotel New York
- New York Hyatt
- New York City Hyatt