“Great location”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #330 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The staff was great. The room was very nice. The bathroom was a little small. There was a mini fridge in the room. You can have a coffee maker if you ask for it, but they give vouchers for daily coffees and waters. I wish I had known to get on Wifi in the lobby for free then just go to room. The charge was $13.00 per day, so I didn't use it.
It is right next door to Grand Central Station. It was walking distance to Broadway, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square and much more. I would stay here again if I return to New York.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (9,333)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

This hotel is great!!! We loved our room as it was appointed in such a soothing way. We love what Hyatt has done with their properties as of late. We will definitely stay at this hotel again. The service is ALWAYS amazing!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2013

As others have mentioned, the location of this hotel can't be beat. It's about a 15 minute walk to Times Square and above Grand Central Station which is not only breathtaking in its architecture, but also filled with convenient shops and eateries. It's on a busy enough street that we felt safe walking home at 11pm, but far enough away from the crazy hustle and bustle of Times Square. Beautiful spacious lobby, quick and efficient elevators, and staff that make a point of saying hello to you whether they are the bellman or the maid. Check-in was friendly and efficient. When I mentioned it was my daughter's 9th birthday upon check-in, the front desk staff member had me fill out a birthday card and said she would send up their honeymoon package (complimentary)...as it would include chocolate covered strawberries for her...but also a bottle of champagne my husband and I could enjoy. The room (#2557) was spacious by NYC standards, and included a long desk, a small fridge, and a chaise and ottoman. We had a very nice view of 42nd street. Besides some street noise, the room was far from the elevator and we certainly heard no noise from the hallway or adjacent rooms.
Complaints: as others have mentioned, the bathroom was tired. There was mold in every corner of the shower ceiling as well as around the edge of the tub. I'm a bath person, and was not inclined to sit in the tub. As others have also mentioned, the shelf above the bathroom sink is ridiculously placed...impossible to lean over and wash your face etc. without banging your head. The lighting in the bathroom is incredibly dim. Someone mentioned the lack of plastic bags in the garbage cans...which when I read before going I thought was a bit picky. However, now having stayed there, I completely agree. The garbage cans are small and wooden with no bag or liner. We took it upon ourselves to put a plastic shopping bag in the bathroom one, as I could not conceive of putting our dirty Kleenexes and used dental floss in the bare wooden receptacle that would be used by the next guest. My biggest complaint, however, is about the lighting system in the room. It's run by touch panels which never seemed to work properly. Trying to turn the light on and off or just have one light on but not another was actually a HUGE source of frustration and annoyance.
As the title of my review indicates, I would happily stay here again...with a renovated/improved bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wifi is free, log in at lobby, then off to your to your room and enjoy free wifi, don't pay their extraordinary price per day, why dont they tell you this!!!!!!!!because they want to rip you off $12.00 a day, good tip for everyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank S0fia46
Reviewed October 14, 2013

When I entered the hotel it reminded me of a fancy Vegas casino minus the machines! Kind of dark inside but modern....the multiple elevators were confusing to most. Had drinks in the bar...nice bartenders, breakfast in the restaurant was very good and wait staff very friendly. Room was nice, I agree with others the bathroom was aged and small but filled the need:) overall great location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and i decided to holiday to New York in the winter to experience a White Xmas last year, so we decided after lots of research to stay at the Grand Hyatt Hotel because of ithe s close proxcinicity to all the major attractions and the added bonus that it is actually attached to Grand central Station which meant if walking around was impossible due to bad weather we could hop on any train and go anyway, without the weather restricting us at all,it was brillant . As for the acomadation we were very pleased with it, the service was great, concerige was fantastic in helping me arrange a surprise for my husband on Xmas day , very clean , the beds were wonderful, the only complaint was the bathroom was extremely small, but other than that we would highly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gina g
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed at several grand hyatt's and this hotel is not up to the same standard. The non smoking room wreaks of smoke and towels in bathroom are thin and bare. As I write this I'm sitting in the executive lounge waiting for our room to finally hopefully getting cleaned without a glass of wine at 4:30 in the afternoon because even though the wine is self serve and you pay for it I was informed that I can't have wine until 5!

• Stayed: October 2013