“Good hotel, superb location” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #303 of 479 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, superb location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed 4 nights back in March on my first visit to NYC. Was there as a tourist and also to meet friends living over there. It was perfect for my needs - close to all the sites and right next to Grand Central Station. The hotel staff were great, breakfast was excellent, and room was fine. Couldn't really ask for more. Would go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhian_Phillips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel has a great location beside Grand Central station - I took the bus in from Newark and was dropped about fifty metres away - very convenient. The hotel is quite focussed on a business clientele. I describe it as 'boutique' because it actually provides very few services - there is a basic bistro and coffee shop - on the assumption that most guests will actually use the local bars and restaurants, which abound. The concierge desk made very good recommendations. There is a large atrium that provides a generous meeting space although it has really weird lighting that makes it hard to read anything or even recognize the people you are trying to greet. The rooms are quite spacious by New York standards and seem generally well-maintained and cleaned. My only big grouse was that the electricity outlets were so close to the floor that it was impossible to get an adaptor for a UK plug to fit them. I had to buy an extension lead from Radio Shack to be able to charge my phone and laptop anywhere other than the bathroom shaver outlet. The front desk was staffed by a succession of charming and helpful young women. In terms of location, you could not ask for better. There is never any shortage of cabs and there is an internal passage to the subway. Grand Central station has a high-end food court with a great variety of vendors - the coffee stand is particularly good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank The_Sherriff
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Let me start by saying that i'm a loyal Hyatt member and stay in Hyatts all around the world on business travel. I have stayed at the grand hyatt in NYC on multiple occasions for two reasons: 1) Location and 2) loyality to the brand and EVERYTIME I stay at the Grand Hyatt in NYC- I say to myself never again. Well after this last trip, I'm serious. I even began looking at other hotels during my last stay. Dont kid yourself-the decor may be modern and look nice but it is only a facade.

Hyatt should really be embarrassed with the quality of this hotel. After spending a year or two upgrading and modernizing this hotel, the hotel forgot to manage the basics. The walls might as well be paper-- you can hear everything from the rooms next to and above you. I mean everything-- a sneeze, a sign, the pipes, the TV, the clearning team in the halls. The bathroom received a "make over" but it was a shotty job and you can tell. They look and feel old. The bath products provided are the worst Ive ever received at a Hyatt or any hotel for that matter. I expect more from the Grand Hyatt.

The rooms all vary in size and layout. It is NYC so you cant complain about the size but the layout and usuable furniture in the room is lacking. No drawers for placing clothes, some rooms dont have desks or work spaces, etc and very little light.

Very disappointed. Will not be staying here again and I encourage you not to as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank crancat
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Crancat,
Thank you taking your time to leave your review here on TripAdvisor and for being a loyal Hyatt guest. I am deeply sorry that we did not live up to expectation of a Grand property. We've recently enhanced our bath amenities, from feedback we received from our guests, to the luxurious June Jacobs Spa Collection. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with the new products. Every room is also equipped with drawers (which can be found underneath the flat screen TV) and a spacious work area.

Feedback is very important to us and we are always looking for ways to improve; please be assured we will share you comments with our hotel management staff. We appreciate your business and we certainly hope this will not deter you from visiting us again, we can assure your future reservation will be closely looked over.

Best,
Lauren
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The location beside Grand Central Station and so close to Time Square is superb. However for a group of ladies on a shopping trip to NYC, the hotel was too big and impersonal. It is more suited for business men and conferences.

Room Tip: Because you are in the middle of NYC, higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marion W
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our room 1830 was a big disappointment. Tired and dark with skinny window looking straight into office block across (close so we could see the people easily) and enclosed on the sides by two more buildings. As it was our 50th wedding anniversary trip I went back downstairs to see if we could at least get a change, as others on our tour had nice light rooms up on the higher floors. I had to wait a long time going from one person to another then was told its a group booking and there was nothing else. Thanks ECruising for four dark dull room accommodation.

Room Tip: Try and avoid room 1830 if you have to stay at the Grand Hyatt.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Bruni1941
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was my second time this year staying at this hotel and my last. The location is good if you want to be near Times Square, and the friendly service are the only positives. The lobby, although modern and large, feels more like an airport lounge. The size of the room was ok, but the bed was horrible. The mattress seen its better days, my wife and I sleeping on a king size bed were constantly rolling to the middle. The next big issue were dark black hair that were on our bed, and all over the bathroom. There's only one waste basket in the room, which is in the bathroom and it had no plastic bag over it, so it was riddled with these hair which I kept finding all over the room. We stayed there 3 nights and it wasn't properly cleaned during our entire stay. Finally, which was a final draw for me was a fact that the mini fridge was missing altogether. I would have definitely helped myself to a $10 beer at the mini-bar after seeing the state of the room, but the cupboard where the fridge was suppose to be was empty! I would not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank VT1981
Dear VT1981,
Please accept our sincerest apologies about your recent stay at Grand Hyatt New York. Many of our guests rave about the Hyatt Grand Beds, so I am truely sorry you did not experience this. As for the housekeeping issues you experienced in your room, there is no excuse for that, I sincerely apologize. Your comments will be shared with our housekeeping management staff so these issues don't arise again. Your feedback is much appreciated and we certainly hope this single incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Best,
Lauren
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

In the middle of the hustle bustle of Manhattan, adjasent to Grand Central terminal, this hotel can offer a just ok experience. If you want quiet you should ask for a higher level room. The lobby can be caotic if you happen to be arriving at the same time as there is a confrence. Be patient as you will be checked quickly. Lobby is huge with coffee shop and a market. Watch out for high prices. Did not try restaurants.
Rooms are small, showers (after you figure out how)works well. Beds are comfortable and the stay will be good since you really don't stay in your hotel much in New York city.

• Stayed September 2013