“A few problems, but good follow up”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #321 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“A few problems, but good follow up”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was really disappointed with this hotel when I arrived late on a Thursday night and was told there was no hot water in the entire building due to maintainence work at Grand Central Terminal next door. The first person who took my call simply said there was nothing he could do about it and brushed me off. I was then transferred to the duty manager Jenny, who was very apologetic and worked out a good solution for me.

The second day I called to ask for shower gel and was told they'd run out. Not a single bottle in the entire hotel. Lindsay, the duty manager who took my call, promised to find me a bottle and she did.

Overall, a couple of kinks but kudos to Jenny and Lindsay who went out their way to resolve the problems. The housekeepers I met were also very friendly, which was nice.

Rooms are fairly standard, although a good size for NYC. I had breakfast at the Grand Club, which was good but it sometimes felt like anyone could walk into the club as nobody was checking.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Kinsgp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at this hotel. The staff was absolutely wonderful. Not only they helped in every way possible, they also let me do an early check in and a late check out. Plus, they were quick at solving problems and were very friendly and nice. You dont get this kind of service often in places like NYC where everyone seems to be to stressed to even listen to what a customer has to say.My room was decent in terms of space (around 250 square feet) and had a great view, starring the Chrysler tower as main attraction. The bathroom was tiny, but comfy, clean and renovated. Would have loved to get a shower cap among the bathroom "goodies" but I didnt. I guess they would have brought one if I have asked for it, though. As for the location, you cant ask for more. Right next to grand central station, the Grand Hyatt Hotel is close to many NYC attractions, namely Fifth AV, the Empire State Building, the Moma, Central Park, Broadway, Bryant Park, National Library etc. One more thing about the hotel, elevators were stunning quic k, never had to wait more than 10 seconds to get a ride. I mention this because I had been in another hotel previously where had to wait for the elevator as much as 10 minutes each time. In brief loved this hotel, loved the staff and would be back without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Estefanía L
Deutschland
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

The Grand Hyatt NYC is a nice hotel in the city centre directly next to grand central station. Staff is friendly and helpful. However, I had to wait 4 hours (!) for check in because no room was available when I arrived although I had a reservation.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Fuchur33
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 5 nights on a study trip. The location is attractive, though that's not so exceptional in NY. Initially i got a room om the backside in a corner (i think it was 2631): dark, uggly and dirty view. I immediately went down and ask for a room at the frontside which i got without any problems. Although very small window, at least it was better then the previous one. But room is quite worn out and dirty: the carpet, the bathroom especially the shower ,the wardobe. Furthermore the hightech light switch was not working, the airco noisy and the minibar empty. The lobby is outdated brownish Trump style kitsch. Wifi is expensive but for free in the lobby. Will not return here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank dirkaarts
Central Oregon, Oregon
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I travel weekly for business, including NYC on a regular basis. This is the first time I've stayed at this hotel. I'll be back. Very convenient to Grand Central Station for trains and subway. Great snack/coffee shop in the lobby with light meals. My room was larger than I expected and quieter than I expected, both inside and out. At check-in I said I don't care about the view, just give me a quiet room. They did. Good, efficient, professional service.

Room Tip: Of course, higher floors will have less street noise; I was on the 27th floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Retailwonderer
misskylie20
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights. Fantastic location, in a great part of town (midtown) with Grand Central station literally next door. The hotel staff are fantastic, always someone wandering around to help. Very good service upon check in and check out. Concierge also very helpful. And doormen would pull us up a taxi within a second!

Our room was spacious, clean and was very modern. Large bathroom, and cleaned properly every day.

We dined at the hotel's restaurant/bar for breakfast, dinner and cocktails. Fabulous service. Very friendly staff.

I'm so glad we stayed here for our first trip the the USA, thank you so much for making it special for us, we will be back!

Kylie

Tip: For a decent espresso coffee, try 'Joe's', located in Grand Central station. We had one every morning!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stay at Hyatt Hotel's a lot, because of my husbands job (points). I like this hotel because of the location, it is perfect. The customer service is, hit or miss. You can tell most of the employees are just not bothered, the ones who are aware they are in the service industry make up for the others. The young man who greeted us was very friendly and interested in our trip, where we were visiting from etc. He chatted with us until we could check in. Sadly I can't remember his name (tall, dark hair, glasses). Check-in was uneventful and we were off to our room on the 15th floor. We had Jr. suite due to an upgrade through my husbands points and it was a great room. No view, but to be honest, I'm not in NYC for a view. My only complaint is the lay out of the bathroom. It was small and award.

We had drinks at the bar a couple of times and ate at the restaurant on our last night. Here is the thing...I was totally taken back by the service at the restaurant!!!! When I told them I could not have gluten or dairy they brought me out GLUTEN FREE bread!!! Never since the diagnose did ANY restaurant offer me gluten free bread. I almost cried. The food was great and very well prepared with a lot of care given. And again I can not remember our servers name but I can't thank the staff and chefs enough for that bread.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple