“Third stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“Third stay”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stay at Hyatt Hotel's a lot, because of my husbands job (points). I like this hotel because of the location, it is perfect. The customer service is, hit or miss. You can tell most of the employees are just not bothered, the ones who are aware they are in the service industry make up for the others. The young man who greeted us was very friendly and interested in our trip, where we were visiting from etc. He chatted with us until we could check in. Sadly I can't remember his name (tall, dark hair, glasses). Check-in was uneventful and we were off to our room on the 15th floor. We had Jr. suite due to an upgrade through my husbands points and it was a great room. No view, but to be honest, I'm not in NYC for a view. My only complaint is the lay out of the bathroom. It was small and award.

We had drinks at the bar a couple of times and ate at the restaurant on our last night. Here is the thing...I was totally taken back by the service at the restaurant!!!! When I told them I could not have gluten or dairy they brought me out GLUTEN FREE bread!!! Never since the diagnose did ANY restaurant offer me gluten free bread. I almost cried. The food was great and very well prepared with a lot of care given. And again I can not remember our servers name but I can't thank the staff and chefs enough for that bread.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed here over Mother's Day weekend for the first time. We have been at other Hyatts in the NYC-area, but this one's location is hard to beat. Literally steps away from Grand Central Terminal with all of its wonders, including a fantastic market and underground dining concourse. Just a few blocks from Times Square, the NYPL and beautiful Bryant Park. The standard rooms are large for NYC and include the expected soft bedding, great shower and nice toiletries. The decor of the lobby and hotel is modern and sleek. The front desk staff was helpful and even quickly resolved an issue we had upon checkout. This hotel is a terrific value in NYC and a perfect choice for tourists wanting to visit the city and be close to everything. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We were on the 29th floor, with a view of the roof of Grand Central Terminal. Being this high up fro...
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I loved the location of the Hyatt and being able to explore Grand Central. The Grand Central Market is awesome and so is the food court and other shops. The hotel staff was extraordinary, elevators speedy, everything was clean, the lobby market had a great selection and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: We asked for an upgrade for two beds which was happily granted at no additional cost.
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My partner and I stayed in here in April 2013 for a sporting even being held in the city. We did not choose the hotel; the company we booked the package through booked it for us. We normally do not stay at Hyatt Hotels, so I really cannot compare it to others within the same brand.

Located on 42nd Street and next to Grand Central Terminal certainly is a big plus for anyone wanting to travel around the city by train / subway. You do not have to walk outside the hotel to get Grand Central – you can access the terminal right through the lobby of The Hyatt. The hotel is a few blocks from anything ‘touristy’ like 5th Avenue / Times Square; it actually is located in more of a business area. Other than a McDonald’s that is open 24 hours, there is not much going on in this area after dark. So this can be good and bad – depending what you are looking for. The only reason I mention this is when we got back to the hotel one evening about 1 AM, the McDonald’s was closed for repairs and there was nothing else around to eat. We had no choice but to head back down 42nd Street to where we just came from.

The hotel itself was nice. The staff was very friendly. Our room was on the smaller side, but hey it is NYC after all. The room décor was nice, but nothing amazing… Standard chain hotel fare I suppose. We were on a high floor and we faced 42nd Street. Due to the all the other taller buildings around us, there was not much of a view to be had, but we could crack open the window which we liked. Leaving in the sounds from the busy streets below was kind of cool. We are in our early thirty’s and like to think that we are not technologically stupid, but I have to admit we never did figure the light system out in our room. They are turned on and off by touch (vs. a switch). It sounds simple, but somehow it is not.

Once item worth mentioning is the hotel bar (up from the lobby). I know we were in New York and in a hotel, but good lord – 3 drinks costing $100 is insane, even by NYC standards. Unless your company is paying for the drinks, go somewhere else!

Oh oh oh! Best thing about the hotel is right outside the entrance on 42nd Street, there is a small store called ‘Baked by Melissa’. It is a cute little cupcake bakery filled with amazing bite size treats. I visited this place once each day we were there. If staying here (or in the area) make sure to stop by and give it a try!

So overall, I certainly cannot complain about anything regarding our stay. It was pleasant the hotel suited our needs just fine. Generally we just prefer a smaller more intimate hotel that offers more character / appeal.

Room Tip: For a good review, request high floor with view of Chrysler Building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
surrey, uk
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My daughter and I have recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Grand Hyatt and couldn't have wanted for anything more. We had a recently refurbished 2 queen bed room on the 25th floor which was enormous, well appointed and very comfortable; having stayed in a number of New York hotels I was amazed at the space! We were right in the heart of midtown with the Chrysler Building immediately outside our bedroom window. It was great to have a bath in addition to a shower, many hotel rooms in the US don't, and it was very welcome to soak in walking for miles each day. We both also commented on how nice the water pressure was in the shower, very user friendly.

As 2 women travelling alone the Grand Hyatt is in a great location, close to all the shops in midtown and right on the underground network via Grand Central next door. We were made to feel very welcome, given complimentary breakfast 1 day and vouchers for drinks from the market place throughout our stay. Breakfast was very nice and the restaurant staff efficient and friendly. We must single out Jillian on reception though for a special mention; without a doubt the most genuinely friendly check in experience I've ever had.

We will definitely be back, hopefully very soon.

Room Tip: 2 queen beds on the 25th floor, excellent.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This hotel just left me feeling cold as it has no character, far too modern for me. We loved New York though a spectacular city. I do feel however that the people are only friendly to you if they are after money (tips), we were even asked by a tour guide from the hop on hop off bus if he could keep the change from the tickets that we purchased so he could buy himself a coffee, I just felt this was so rude and typical of the staff that we came across. I think we have been spoilt by going to the Caribbean and Greece for our holidays where the people are genuinely nice and not out for all they can get. Will not be returning to America again this was our fifth time and after each visit I have felt the same. I also got fed up with hearing loud arguments in the street on many occasions, why do the locals have to be so loud and annoying?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location, not far from Times Square and about a 15 minute walk to Central Park. Right on top of grand central station.
The rooms are tidy but that is all the hotel really has going for it.
We arrived at about 5pm, we had to wait in line as they selected people they wanted to serve first, mostly people in suits (people that spend money) our room was not ready, we had been on a 5 hour flight before that so we were tired, we were happy to wait as they told us our room would be an hour or so.
When we returned we waiting again as the staff selected people they wanted to serve before us. And treated us like we weren't paying customers. Again our room was not ready. After half an hour they called us up and put us in our room. No apology for the wait!
We told them that we were not happy so they gave us access to their wifi and a breakfast voucher. Which was nice, but a little bit of acknowledgement would of been much nicer.
We got to our rooms and my mother wanted some tea bags. They told us to go down to the lobby and pay for some in the caferia, are you kidding??
We wanted to stay at this hotel as New York was our last stop in America so we wanted to stay somewhere nice. We only ended up at the hotel when we wanted to sleep, as it was not enjoyable, the only people the staff care about are people that are going to spend money at their over priced resteraunt.
We stayed at other places that were half the price, with much better service and attitude.
I will not be staying here again.
Loved New York, but not this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Haleytraveler,
Thank you for your review here on TripAdvisor. We are truly sorry for the poor service you experienced during your recent stay with us. We would love a chance to speak with you directly to find out more about your customer service experience. At your convenience, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com. Thanks you for your valued feedback.

Best,