This trip to NYC was a combination business/family event so I looking for a good midtown hotel on the east which I love to stay at. I love Bryant Park. What can I say? My problem was that the trip was scheduled to be in the first week of December which is problematic as that is the beginning of peak season for Christmas shopping. It was hard to find anything, but the Grand Hyatt was at least three blocks from where I would be working that week and close enough to Fifth Avenue shopping for my wife and daughter.
Given all that, let me cut to the chase. The room I was paying for was in the upper $250-$300. In New York, that ain't gonna get you much, but I was surprised that our window view overlooked the roof of Grand Central Terminal. I love that building, although the roof isn't that spectacular, but its better than looking at a brick wall twenty-feet away as I've found in other big city hotels. The location of the hotel is wonderful. So many great shops and places to eat nearby. Always wanted to eat in the Pershing Square Cafe across the street from the Terminal. Food was great by the way. Probably more spectacular than the location was the lobby of the hotel. Its expansive and gorgeously decorated in a modern Oriental-like motif at the time. I would also like to say that the staff was excellent in checking in/out and keeping the room clean.
Now for the downside. I realize that for the room rate I was paying, that I wasn't going to get a grand suite, but damn...with two double beds for three people with luggage we were cramped as hell. The bathroom was similarly quite tiny, but what was quite surprising was the amount of noise that echoed down the hall right through our room door, or should I say, right under our door. My work that week to me through the weekend so when the Friday and Saturday night crowd showed up, it sounded like a party going on right outside my door. I'm not sure how that can be corrected...maybe tiling the walls with acoustical tiles or installing larger doors to fill the two-inch gap at the bottom of the door, I can't say for sure. With that large of a gap at the bottom of the door, I was getting really concerned as to how hefty of a bill was going to get slipped under there at check-out. Overall, the Grand Hyatt should be lucky they got an average rating from me, but I won't be staying there again. There are so many good hotels in that area that provide a better experience for the money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premier location in the heart of New York's famous midtown. Striking lobby with waterfalls, seating areas and three restaurants and lounges. Direct access to Grand Central Terminal and connected to the Chrysler Building. Steps from Times Square, Shopping and the Theatre District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Odigeo, Cancelon, Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your Grand Hyatt New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt New York City
- Hyatt Hotel New York City
- Hotel Hyatt New York
- Grand Hotel Hyatt New York
- New York City Grand Hyatt Hotel
- Grand Hyatt Hotel New York
- New York Hyatt
- New York City Hyatt