“A very pleasant stay”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #329 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel and it proved to be a very pleasant and satisfying experience. Our room was a Kingsize room which was modern, immaculate and very comfortable and the bed provided us with four excellent nights sleep.The bathroom was, however, small and rather cramped but this did not detract significantly from the overall experience, although provision of a shower cap and shower/bath gel would be welcome additions. All the hotel staff we encountered were very polite, caring and friendly and always pleased to help. More should be done with the hotel lobby which serves rather as a large waiting area and offers little in the way of comfort and relaxation. We breakfasted in the hotel on the first morning and, although it was quite adequate, we found the Pershing 45 Central Cafe on the opposite side of the street to be equally good and 15 dollars cheaper! As other contributers have pointed out this hotel is well located for exploring the city and I would recommend a City Sights NY 'Super New York Tour' 3 day value package which enables you to visit all the places of interest and important neighbourhoods of the city and can be obtained at Madame Tussauds. We also found the Re Velle Italian restaurant on 45th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues to be of good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YorkyWashington
Write a ReviewReviews (9,331)

Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is chic, clean with a few caring employees. I booked this hotel because it was close to where I was to have major oral surgery. After an 8 hour trip to Manhattan, I was looking forward to getting a good night's sleep as I had to be at my appointment at 7:30 Sunday morning. This never happened. There was a grand party in the next room complete with loud music, furniture tossing, fighting, banging, people trying to get through the suite door next to the bed where I was trying to sleep, every second word was of the four letter variety, upstairs patrons were banging loudly on the floor above (thinking we were making the noise). This went on from 5:30 pm on Saturday until after 4:30 am on Sunday. I called the Manager on Duty (not there-not on duty-left a message) My call for the complaint was never answered. I called the front deck and security 4 times with not so much as a personal visit to us so that they could hear the noise for themselves. They said they weren't sure where the noise was coming from--- in other words no one ever showed up. No security in a NYC hotel--NOT A GOOD THING. The last call that I made to the front desk, they were notified that I was going to give them a very bad review on TripAdvisor due to lack of response to our problem. Finally, my husband got up very early and went to the front desk to tell them of the problem-as it was ongoing. They said they were unaware of the problem and said they were sorry. If I wanted to be up all night I could have slept on a park bench. As it turns out, the $200.00 per night was not in any way worth the price. I would not recommend this hotel. I have stayed in more than 40 hotels in my travels and I can safely say that I have stayed in humbler surroundings, but have had much more security and comfort in places for half the price. If you want a bowl of cereal for breakfast in your room, the cost is $15.00 plus $5.00 delivery fee plus 18% added gratuity added. There is no bowl of cereal in the world worth nearly $24.00. To be fair, checkout was fine- however when I arrived home, I found that the hotel had put an additional $100.00 on my debit card for incidentals--I had none! This charge has still not been credited to my account. I did not enjoy one moment of this experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PatiBaz47
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is my go to business hotel in NYC. The reconstruction in 2011 gave it a modern feel, service has improved and prices are unbeatable given the location ($200-250/night). I really enjoyed the club floor with outside patio, great if you need to work from your hotel during the summer. Do not expect much originality though, it is a typical business hotel. If you are looking for something more unique, go to Andaz 5th Ave that is just three blocks away, but expect much higher prices.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt for a couple of days on a business trip. The hotel is trying mightily to be hip, with huge stone heads in the lobby, along with a water feature and low slung white couches. It doesn't get to the level of a W, but the effort is valiant.

My room was okay--bed was fine, but TV didn't seem to receive a true high-def feed on some sports channels. The most remarkable thing was the bathroom. It should be noted that I'm a big guy--6-5, 270. Having said that, the bath was tiny. My shoulders touched both the shower glass and the sink while seated on the...um...throne. No way to get to the toilet paper without standing. Ugh!

An otherwise unremarkable hotel. It worked fine.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Every little attention to details thought of.extremely helpful and friendly staff.
Beautiful,large rooms fro New York. Best location,you can reach anywhere in the
City in a few minutes with grand central downstairs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My brother and his family came to visit me and we decided to spend two days in Manhattan as part of their NY / NJ adventure. We had two rooms that connected for the five of us. The two kids and I were in one room and my brother and sister-in-law in the next. As a former NYC resident, I was pleasantly surprised how large and modern the rooms were and accessorized with modern conveniences (flat screen TV's, sound sytsem with dock station, refrigerator, toiletries, safe, NY Times, etc.). The beds are ultra comfortable. If necessary, you can use the couch in the room as an alternate bed for a small child/person. Occasional noise from the hallway was the only issue I had. The price was right and the location is central to everything. The staff was very friendly and offered us some freebies. It was my family's first time to the city so they thought it was the cat's meow and my brother was quoted as saying, "this is swanky".

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very good location, you can walk to 5th avenue or cetralpark
Or you can leave newyork easily by train.
Stay near by grand central and crysler building
Lobby is moderate but marble statue feels you beatiful.
Reception people are cheerful and helpful
Rooms are moderate
Room service is a little bit expensive

But the main problem is ELEVATORS
You can wait for an hour

As a whole good Hotel

Room Tip: Lower floors can help you for Fast ELEVATORS