“Excellent location, hotel entrance to Grand Central Station”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #333 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you want to be in the center of it all, the Grand Hyatt is a great place to stay. It is next to the theatre district, millions of restaurants, and fun to shop in the many stores in Grand Central Station. Room was very modern, clean, quiet.

Room Tip: Our room was high and faced Park Avenue - had a great view, and it was surprisingly quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusannahDanna
Write a ReviewReviews (9,121)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was at the Grand Hyatt working a conference. In terms of conference space, the Grand Hyatt is well suited to meetings. The cafe in the lobby has reasonably priced meals and snacks - when you're working a meeting and not finished until 8 or 10 each night, this is incredibly convenient as is the connection to Grand Central. The rooms are comfortable and clean. I wouldn't stay here as a tourist, but if you are in the city for work, this is a decent option.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was one of a party of eight staying at the Grand Hyatt to celebrate a 60th Birthday, we had three rooms between us for the duration of the stay. We were there for five nights from 26th - 30th October and sadly hurricane Sandy gate crashed 2 days in to our trip meaning we were pretty much confined to the hotel from Sunday night to the Wednesday (when we checked out) as 99% of shops and restaurants were closed for the storm which hit New York City on Monday 29th.

When we checked in on the Friday we were made aware that there was a storm heading towards the city in a few days, so the hotel were well aware and as we thought had taken all steps necessary to make sure it didn't compromise our stay.

Each of our three rooms were issued letters on the Sunday explaining that there would be limited services during the storm, including room service and house keeping. Despite having staff deliberately staying in the hotel, so as not to jeopardise their safety traveling to and from work or potentially have no staff be able to get to work because the public transport going out of service during the storm, there was still a poor service in place.

All three rooms were not made up for the last two days. One day we asked for new towels which took 8 hours to come to the room. The hotel made no effort to make up for this, no negotiation was made with any other services, in fact the food prices were put up for the three affected days. It cost $1000 dollars per day for the eight of us to eat a buffet of breakfast ($29 per person), lunch ($39 per person) and dinner ($49 per person).

Movies in the room were still full price, wifi was still an extortionate $17 per day. The wifi even went down during the storm and I had to go and ask for the money back, this should have been done automatically in my eyes.

Upon checkout and paying full whack for everything, the hotel had the audacity to charge us $2 per piece of luggage to be held securely for 4 hours until our taxi came to take us to the airport. When there are 8 of you and 11 suitcases you would think they would throw you a bone but... no.

It was a nice hotel but a huge shame that they didn't handle the situation any better, they took advantage of the situation and made money out of it. We will all think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Helen B,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback after your recent stay. On behalf of the Grand Hyatt New York, I'm very sorry to learn of your recent experience with us. If you will, please email qualitynycgh@hyatt.com so we may address your concerns with you directly.

Best,
Lauren

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The hotel is just next to the subway and a walking distance from the Time Sqare. This is in my opinion the only reason one would chose this hotel. I was very happy to book this hotel based on our previous experience in a Grand Hyatt hotel in Singapore. Unfortunatelly, this hotel has nothing to do with the one in Singapore, it just did not felt like a four star hotel; especially when we asked for an extra bed in the room for our daughter and when we entered the room the bad was just in the midle, not lied horisontally, but vertically and waiting for us to struggle (no matter we were already tired because of the jet lag) in order to put our daughter to sleep. I phoned the front desk to ask for some help and in about an hour (when we already managed to put the bad in its normal position ourselves and finally felt asleep) someone was at the door with another bad!?!?!! No comment...
Also, during our stay, one big corporate event took place there, so when we walked out the elevators I felt like going out in the city, noisy and very crouded. Overall, I am not very keen on accomodating here again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank buraka
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here in October for the first time. My husband was attending a conference there so we had to stay in the hotel. Shortly before he left for NYC I looked it up on TripAdvisor and was less than thrilled with what I read but said nothing as it was a fait a compli. When he rang me after arriving his first comments mentioned tiny bathroom and the difficulty of sitting on the loo with any degree of comfort, and the room was pretty small overall. By the next morning he had asked to be relocated as several things didn't work in the room plus it reeked of smoke which he hadn't mentioned to me as that is one of the things I detest. He was moved to another room on the club floor which was much better, still a cosy fit on the loo but considerably better he said , I dread to think what first one was like! The club floor has a really excellent lounge where there is free wifi (another real bug bear of mine, why hotels cannot and do not offer it is beyond me) very good food and drink, very comfortable and a lovely outside seating area. We left for the weekend and returned as we had left luggage there and for 2 nights just seemed simpler. We were not in a club room second time around, the room was very small and no tea/coffee facilities which for a hotel chain that I would imagine claims to be one of the better chains I felt was very poor. We had to use the laundry which one knows is always expensive but I felt a $3 charge to deliver it to our room was way over the top. The location is very good right on top of Grand Central which has excellent transport plus good shopping. Despite the good location I would not stay there again unless forced and certainly not without being on the club floor. I do not know what the value of club rooms are as expenses picked up the bill (fortunately) so hard to rate it value wise. Both rooms were quiet, although the doors do make a lot of noise when shutting.

Room Tip: If you can afford it or wrangle it club level is way to go
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Should have known with the plane 1.5 hours early and the roads deserted as we arrived at Grand Hyatt on Sunday 28th October. Double Double room ok with strong shower and comfortable beds..............shop in the lobby good for coffee and microwaved snacks.......not what you want to use on a holiday but we were very glad of it over the coming days!!
One downside was the level of cleanliness behind the TV..............ugh!
The Storm passed us by in the hotel with only a VERY tall doorman to stop visitors visitng to take shelter in the large and comfortable lobby. Room service disappeared due to staff unable to get in but fresh towels were readily available by phone.
Free internet to the airport was a welcomed and reassuring service as we were the first plane out on Wednesday night..........
OVerall impression of NYC was one of a strong and resiliant city,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we may be back to see everthing that Sandy stopped us visiting (the shops up town WERE open!) and if we do, we will probably stay at the Hyatt, a well placed and comfortable hotel with more pros than cons!

2  Thank davidnash_10
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were 'evacuated' to the Grand from another Hyatt hotel on Sun 28th - the Andaz in Wall St, so were disappointed to miss all the lovely things that the Andaz promised (free mini bar/wine at happy hour etc). Conditions were crowded on Day 1 of Sandy as everyone piled into the hotel to recharge their cell phones and laptops and find food..soon stopped by a security check point installed on Day 2. However after seeing what the hurricane did to Manhatten and NJ we can't complain. I note the comments from other guests about the Grand generally; the rooms are 'pokey' although we were offered another larger room but at $150 extra a day! Everything is chargeable in the Grand and like another reviewer below I objected to a rude charge of $1 for a cup of hot water - I did complain and was promised a refund..dream on David! That said, apart from one objectionable mos on the till at the Market, and an even ruder mos in the bar who didnt want me to sit alone at a table for 4 in case I prevented a group sitting down..the hotel and bar were empty at the time..its amazing how just one arrogant mos can spoil a stay and ruin the good work of her other 100 colleagues..I was just trying to find a cell phone signal..anyway the Grand is ideally located for 5th Ave and all the other touristy stuff..highly recommend the Pershing cafe across 42nd street..apparently is a New York land mark although we did'nt realise it at the time.
We will return. maybe Abercromibs might open up by that time!