New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #303 of 479 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Breda, The Netherlands
“Nothing really luxurious but the location is hard to beat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York for a few days of shopping on my way to Aruba.

The location of the GH is hard to beat, easy access by bus from the airport and easy access to the subway. The hotel is a big convention hotel so you should expect some crowds.

I had read that they recently refurbished, and everything looks modern but already a little worn. Especially the carpets. The room was good, not very big and a little awkward with a large section that was only useful for storage. The bathroom was very small, I could hardly open the door because of the desk that was in the room. Not much they can do about that, but still not really nice.

The Club lounge is decent, and has a nice area outside. Enjoyed having a drink with some snacks before dinner.

If you can get a room at a decent rate it's a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GH_RTW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

That was the 3rd time i was staying at Grand Hyatt and it has been as good as usual!

The hotel has been completely renovated and it looks much better than before! Rooms are big as well as bathroom. Rooms not facing on main street are actually slightly bigger.

Unfortunately wi-fi is not included into room rate (approx. $13 per day).

Front desk people are absolutely extremely nice, while people at the bar on the ground floor aren't always nice and polite enough..

Very well located: 5 min to times sq walking and 10 min from Empire state building. Easy to reach from any airports since all bus shuttles stop by grand central station, which is literally under the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I arrived at an un-earthly hour of 07:00 after my flight from São Paulo arrived at Newark at 05:15. I asked if I could check in and leave my bags with Concierge and was told yes (Check-in is for 16:00 on the day and check-out is at 11:00), but we don't have your room ready but we have another free if you'd care for it. Thanks I said, and went up to the room to shower and change.
How many hotels would be so kind as this? Effectively, I got an extra half day at the place for free!
I was here to see New York and didn't want to stay in my room.
The room was a very nice size, clean with all the creature comforts that I needed and was on the 25th floor, overlooking Lexington Avenue, in the shadow of The Chrysler Building.
Grand Central Terminal was below, what more could I want to explore the city.
I had a great two days in New York and got to see so much from base at the Grand Hyatt. It's position is so central that you can easily get anywhere from here, either on foot (my preferred mode of transport in New York) or by Subway/Bus/Cab.
I would recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt without any hesitation, it has all that you need for a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear OldVillain,

We are so delighted to hear you had a great stay at Grand Hyatt New York while in town! We look forward to welcoming you back in your future travels to NYC.
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt New York from Sept. 29 through Oct.4. We booked it because they offered a very economic price through their website (not pre-paid) but totally flexible with option to 24-hour cancellation notice with no penalty. The check-in was quick.
The room was nice, roomy, and very quiet, although not well cleaned. It had a flat TV, mini bar, and a king-size super comfortable bed.
We did not use the restaurant or the other facilities, but did use -for one time only- the Market (which is in the lobby level) where you can buy either a bottle of water or a big hot sandwich and some coffee, but of course, this was much more expensive than eating outside the hotel..
One of the best things of this hotel, is the unbeatable location! Given the price we paid, we could not ask for a better location. It is just on the 42nd St., with the Grand Central Terminal on the next door, and walking distance to places such as Time Square, Empire State Building, 5th Avenue, the United Nations and more.. In order to move to other attractions, you simply take the metro at Grand central.
Unfortunately, unlike other hotel brands, this hotel doesn't offer anything complimentary, as far as I could see. The wi-fi (surcharge only), no newspaper, not even a bottle of water upon arrival! even more, if you need to store your luggage after check-out, you will be charged USD 2 per bag. Given that this is not a budget hotel, one would expect a better service, such as friendly staff (which I did not find) and some complimentary services, which I think it's not that expensive for the hotel to provide, but are of great value and appreciated by the guests. A complimentary newspaper and a cup of coffee in the morning is all that one can need to start the day. Overall, if you don't need complimentary services and don't mind to pay separately for these, but need a quiet room in a well-located hotel in Manhattan, the Grand Hyatt is for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hyatt-after reading reviews was concerned-however I did not find the room small nor did I find it dirty-My room was spacious and clean..and the bed was very nice-
Is it a 400$ a night hotel room?? Yes, its NYC...and its about convienence as well...and it cannot be beat for this..subway is 4 min away on Grand Central. Check in was a breeze -check out not so much but handled properly-all staff very friendly-Elevators fast-lobby very nice. Bellman awesome and housekkeeping was nice as well. If your looking for a nice hotel in a great location and know its NYC so get your wallet out..you wont be disappointed.......Again the location is great!!! I was on the subway on 59th at 4;15 train was stalled for 5 minutes-and I was in a Hyatt car on my way to airport at 4:25-thanks to location and bellman!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Newport, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stay at this hotel for the location. You can get into Grand Central Station without even going outside. Centrally located so you can get uptown or downtown easily. Within walking distance of many attractions. After seeing reviews about the small bathrooms we were expecting the worst but it seemed adequate to us. The vanity was useless and I can't imagine how many things have fallen into the toilet that is situated directly under a shelf. But, our room was clean and for New York standards adequately sized with a small sofa and table. Staff was very friendly. Decor is not my taste - modern and trendy but probably appeals to many others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

On the 3rd day of our stay (I paid for the room for my friends' stay in NYC), upon return in the afternoon, I discovered that a shopping bag full of stuff were missing. I called security immediately and a lady was sent to take down information. She called the same night and said the report was filed and so far they could not locate the bag. She promised to call back the 2nd day but did not. I went into the hotel to ask for a solution later, and a series of nightmares just began. The "original" report had the number of items wrong (I said 2A, 1D; the report said "1A, 2D" etc.); the security dept repeatedly refused to identify the staff that went into my room; the security refused to talk about what info they found out with their staff. And how about surveillance camera - there is no footage to go through?

I am not accusing anyone of misappropriation, my basic logic was: if the stuff were removed accidentally, since when staff could judge "what are personal belongs of guests, what are not". It is an individual HOTEL ROOM, anyone other than the guests SHOULD TOUCH NOTHING except for removing trash!!! I wanted to find out who removed my stuff, while 2-day-old empty bottles were carefully NOT removed from the room.

The customer service was horrible.

I have stayed at many hotels around the world, and I understand the importance of watching out for your personal belongings - what annoyed me was not that the final compensation cannot fully recover my loss, but the hotel doesn't step out and say: we will use all the resources to find out who removed your belongings and we will apologize properly for the inconvenience.

This is a big lesson for me; I hope it can be help to you too.

Room Tip: I don't have any tips as I will discourage people from staying there.