“Terrible Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dharamsala, India
“Terrible Place”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The only thing good about Hyatt is its location which is really central. Check in takes forever and the reception area looks like a crowded train station all the times. I was accompanying my husband who was in NY for work. We were booked for 8 nights by his office. We requested for a corner or at least a sunny room but were told hotel is totally sold out. Our room was small and dark overlooking a back alley surrounded by tall buildings so absolutely no light and quite claustrophobic. service is pathetic. One example: My husband had forgotten to pack his shaving razor and called the house keeping. They promised to send right away. It never came. We called again after waiting for twenty minutes. Someone called Karen picked up and promised to send. Sorry to say that my husband had to leave for office without shaving as he got so delayed just waiting for it to come! This is preposterous. Finally he got it from the shop outside on his way back from office. Similarly the room has coffee/tea maker but no milk satchel or creamer is provided. When we asked for it, the house keeping sent some coffee powder after 20 minutes. Is it expected that everyone has to drink only black coffee or tea without any milk? It is impossible to think that this is Grand Hyatt we are talking about!

Room Tip: Rooms are small and dark unless you get the corner ones.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ritum
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear ritum,

Thank you writing us about your recent stay at Grand Hyatt New York. On behalf of the staff, I sincerely apologize about the lack of service you experienced. Please know I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director so he can address the matter internally. It is our top priority to provide each guest with authentic hospitality so I apologize for your stay. I do hope you'll give us another chance and be assured you will receive top-notch service and the best in accommodations. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us if we can be of further assistance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was alway told the NYC hotels are small and expensive. The Grand Hyatt was a medium priced hotel for NYC prices and the room we had was large and very comfortable. We did have an issue with a fridge not working but they found a small fridge for the rest of our stay. I also misplaced a watch (husband left in the safe). I was pleased to say that the hotel found the watch and sent it to Australia (at my cost). But the service was excellent during this process. Hotel location excellent just above Central Station and walking distance from Time Square and other attractions. Would stay in this hotel again if I ever went back to NYC.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms didn't have a view so it didn't matter where you are located. The entire hotel w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet L
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The hotel is centrally located, right next to Grand Central, so no matter which airport you're arriving from, a bus will take you literally to the front door of the hotel.

Recently, it has been renovated and its looking more beautiful than ever!

But where it shines, is the service - from front office to the restaurant, the service is Grand. Katie from New York Central was very knowledgeable about the menu, as well as on the selection of wines and beers.

The service was warm, attentive and unobtrusive, which is always a plus!

On to the front office - Jillian was the first receptionist I encountered and she was nothing but pleasant, warm, knowledgeable and friendly - a top notch employee and hopefully the management knows that!

This was my 2nd time at the Grand Hyatt and both times Jillian checked me in and was great during our entire stay.
Katushia was the same, being informative, warm and simply awesome!

Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank La_TacheGC
Dear hospitalitymanager1,

Thank you for your great review! We are so glad you had a great experience from check-in to check-out. I will pass along your lovely comments to Katie, Jillian and Katushia. Thanks again for writing about your stay and we look forward to your next visit!
Ledyard, Connecticut
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

The Hyatt is located on E 42nd St, right next door to Grand Central Station - you really don't have a chance to get wet in the rain when arriving by train. The rooms and lobby have all been recently renovated with a very modern yet functional theme. Web check-in was a breeze and the room was available 4 hrs early (1/2 hr ahead of my request on the train). Hotel is 8 blocks from 30 Rock & Radio City Music Hall, St Patrick's, Empire State Bldg, and theater district. 2 blocks from the Chrysler Bldg & just a few blocks west of the UN. It's located right next to the Lexington Ave line (4, 5, 6 trains) making access to Uptown & Downtown (City Hall, WTC, 9-11 Memorial, Greenwich Village, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island) accessible within 15 min of leaving your hotel. We left our room at 11:45, did the express checkout at the "no brainier" kiosk, walked next door to Grand Central, bought our Metro North tix (yes, there was a line), found our departing track and boarded the 12:07 to New Haven with 7 min to spare - no joke. A great experience in a VERY convenient location.

4 Thank LedyardTraveler
Dear LedyardTraveler,

Thank you for your review! I am glad you found our location to be most convenient and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Despite being in NYC quite often for work I have yet to find a decent hotel close to my office in Midtown so keep being drawn back to the Hyatt due to its location. That's about the only good thing about it to be honest. Rooms are small and dark, and as others have said bathrooms are tiny. I had no hot water for the 3 days I was there. When I called up to complain the disinterested lady on the other end suggested I tried turning the dial the other way! No one ever got back to me to explain why the situation had not been resolved. At every opportunity they attempt to take more money off you, charging for internet access, drinking water, bag storage etc. It leaves you feeling very ripped off.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank advice55
Astley, Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've read a number of the reviews on this hotel both before we went and once we'd returned and I'm surprised at some of the less than positive comments as our experience was absolutely delightful.
The staff were ever friendly and helpful regardless of the time of day (or night). Never did I feel like I was intruding on them. Similarly, the consierge was incredibly helpful and arranged all sorts of things for us including a great birthday surprise for my girlfriend.
The room was very clean and incredibly comfortable. We had one of the bigger rooms, but I will agree the bathroom was a little squashed in, especially the position of the toilet. A minor niggle as you don't really spend all your trip in the bathroom. One thing to note, which seems to be a recurring theme, is the lack of any in room tea/coffee making facilities which I think was on purpose to make visitors use the 24 hour market in the lobby. Sometimes though, a trip to the lobby for a cup of tea in the middle of the night is not something you want to do.
The hotel was in a great location with quick access to a number of tourist sights.
If we were to return to NYC we'd definitely make a point to stay here again. Can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan P
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The room is small and the furniture doesn't really fit into the room. On the positive side the noise from the street is not loud, but the norwegian party in the hallway last night was. I Would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business