“Smart hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Smart hotel”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed here in Feb/March for a week, booked as part of our Virgin holiday package. It's a smart, centrally located hotel with a leaning towards corporate guests reflected in its decor and conference rooms.

Pros: big rooms for NYC; fridge; lovely comfortable mattress; nice decor; sofa and table.

Cons: cleaning staff swapped towels over daily (whether we wanted that or not) but left dirty glasses behind. When we handed our glasses to a cleaning lady she looked confused and left them on the floor in the corridor where they stayed for 2 days! No kettle - a downer for us Brits who want a cuppa.

Overall, if you can squeeze a deal out of this hotel it is worth a stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge if you're here for more than a few days - it is very useful.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just spent three night at the Grand Hyatt celebrating my 50th Birthday with my sisters and friends. The hotel is centrally located. The staff provided first class service from the minute we checked in through check out. I had originally booked three rooms, and was upgraded to a suite. The suite was absolutely beautiful. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The staff at this hotel is incredible. Thank you Rosa, Donovan, Jason, Chris White, and Peter Volger for making my 50th Birthday First Class and memorable.

I look forward to staying at the Grand Hyatt in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Acarroll1
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Acarroll1,

We are so glad you had an enjoyable trip for your 50th birthday! Thank you for choosing Grand Hyatt New York, we are honored you chose to stay with us for your special occasion. I hope the suite was a nice surprise too! I will share your nice comments with our staff members you mentioned, I know they will be so happy. We can’t wait to welcome you back.

Alabama
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I recently stayed here for 5 nights for a conference. I received the conference rate so I was very happy with the price. The hotel was just "okay". They have an electronic kiosk to check you in. For some reason this lack of personal attention really got to me. The location is very good, easy walking distance to Times Square and right beside Grand Central Station for everywhere else. The room was very small (but that is what I expect in NYC). The hotel does have a large workout facility that came in handy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This hotel is awesome. We stayed from may 3-7. It was amazing from check-in. Great staff, excellent service, amazing location. The subway is right there without even going out. The rooms were clean and the size was decent. Very comfy beds. I would stay at this hotel again in a heart beat. Nothing to complain about. This is a 5 star hotel with a 5 star location. Loved the location and Bryant Park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher levels.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank vivian b
Dear Vivian B,

Thank you for your great review. We truly appreciate your mentions of our “great staff, excellent service and amazing location.” We are so delighted you had the most enjoyable stay and we hope we have the honor in welcoming you back in the near future.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This recently renovated Hyatt has clean, spacious (for NYC) rooms and great service in a central location. That's pretty much the gold standard for NYC.

The two issues I had during my stay--a very overheated room and a skimpy room service breakfast--were addressed immediately by the staff. No hotel is perfect, and it's telling that the staff here were willing to step up to correct problems. I would return to this hotel because I know I'd be well taken care of.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DaveInRochester
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear DaveInRochester,

We are very pleased to hear about your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your nice comments about our staff. It is their job to make each and every guest feel comfortable during their stay and I am glad they were able to remedy your issues in a timely manner. We hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in your future travels to New York City.

Goiania, Brazil
Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

As a former diamond member ( now 'just" a platinum...) I've been in this hotel at NYC (city I love to be). What a diference on treatment since the front desk, where I found out about my degree resumption, despite declaring pre paid reservation when diamond status was still good.
The "special" platinum room was in a high floor, but facing out old dirty buildings around. The hotel has a nice location (east 42th street), just beside Central Station, a must see/be place, although kind of hard walking distance from Broadway stuff (rather stay west, i.e. after 5th avenue).
The in room fridge was out of order, the bathroom could be bigger and I really missed a better view and attention I've used to have!

GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear sgrassi,

Thank you for telling us of your recent experience. I sincerely apologize that you felt you received a lesser quality of service due to your status change. We aim to provide all guests with a warm welcome and a comfortable stay so I am sorry you felt differently. If you would like to further discuss the details of your stay, our Guest Services Manager would gladly speak with you at qualitynycgh@hyatt.com. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt for two nights for a girls weekend getaway. The hotel is located in midtown, which is a great location. It's conveniently next door to Grand Central Station which makes it easy to take the subway. The hotel was recently renovated, and the lobby is very impressive and modern. It has a 24/hour gourmet "market" with snacks, drinks, and other food items. The staff is very friendly since check-in to the bellman who hails you a cab. The staff is very attentive; we needed a couple of items in our room, and within 10 minutes they were delivered.

Our room on the 20th floor was not huge, but very cozy. It was decorated tastefully and very modern, with a nice desk and flat-screen tv. The bed was super comfy!! The bathroom is small, but it has modern amenities. The bathtubs could use an upgrade though.

I would definitely recommend to stay at the Grand Hyatt on your next NYC trip. It's close to Times Square, 30 Rockefeller, and having the train station next door makes it easy to travel to other parts of Manhattan.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jess_779
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear jess_779,

I am so glad you had an enjoyable time at Grand Hyatt New York for your girls’ weekend! We are so delighted you loved our renovation, from the impressive lobby, modern guest rooms, to our new food and beverage venue, Market. We thank you for your lovely comments about our staff, it is always so pleasant to hear. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!