“Great location and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hyatt New York

You added Grand Hyatt New York to your Saves list
Grand Hyatt New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   109 East 42nd Street, Park Avenue at Grand Central Terminal, New York City, NY 10017 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Your Points
Ranked #299 of 478 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Great location and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is location. Grand Central is perfect for all the sights in New York, and has numerous connections. Yes, the hotel is big and somewhat impersonal, but there were some good personal touches to the service. It is a prime convention hotel, so you do have to deal with hordes of people in name tags on expense accounts. The decor of the lobby is garish, but I found the rooms to be a bit more subtle. The room itself was large and well appointed, although I was disappointed with a surprisingly small bathroom and a lack of tea / coffee facilities. We spent six nights in all, and appreciated the comfortable bed! We were on the 19th floor and had no issues with traffic noise. Like the previous reviewers, I was taken aback by the charge for storing the bags, but it was a minor issue. All in all, a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liane_Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (996)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is adjacent to Grand Central Station and nearby to all the major attractions of Manhattan.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The accommodation was slightly disappointing in relation to the cost of our stay, but enjoyable none the less.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Dougie7352
Nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night when we had tickets for a show. It is a lovely hotel in a great location. close to all the hustle and bustle (literally next door to Grand Central) The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful.
rooms were nice, normal size or slightly larger than some of the rooms I have stayed at in NYC. Got a great rate using the name your own price on priceline! Loved it

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mamaduck1
Eilat, HaDarom, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

the hotel is amazing, very close to times square, 5th ave, etc. the rooms are amazing, what you see in the pictures is what you get and the staff are very helpfull.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pamela L
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Pamela L,

Thank you for your kind review. We are thrilled you had had a great time and appreciate your comments about our staff. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

All the best,
Lauren
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights. Apparently hotel was renovated recently, but still seemed old to me. Room was quiet, bedding and pillows were good, and otherwise what you would expect paying $300/night. Location is best part of hotel being right next to Grand Central Station. Otherwise, stay somewhere else with more pizzazz.

Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Staff were friendly. Check in and out was easy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PAQ
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've just come back from New York where I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 6 nights. Between my mother, sister and myself we had two good sized rooms which each had two double beds. I was more than happy with the rooms although the bathrooms are incredibly small and the location is very central however the customer service I and the rest of my family received was awful! For two nights I was unable to get into one of my rooms as I was told the lock was broken, I kept being assured that this would be fixed asap however as I stated this did not happen for two days and each time I spoke to a member of staff about this they either had no idea about the problem or were just very unwilling to help. Also and very worrying neither of our rooms were cleaned properly the entire duration of our stay. I was told that housekeeping will not make the bed if any items are on it that includes nightwear...I have stayed in countless hotels and have never heard of this ridiculous rule. Not only did they not make the beds they didn't clean anything...the only notable change to the room was the bathroom bin had been emptied. Once we removed out nightwear from our beds the following day the beds were then made however the rest of the room was not...for a full 6 days! I informed housekeeping and nothing was done. The hotel had to in fact give us two free nights as the service and attitude of the staff there was so bad. Although they did this it does not make up for the stress and hassle we experienced on our holiday and I would never ever stay there again and I urge others not to.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Hollie K
Dear Hollie K,

We greatly appreciate you sharing these candid details about your experience. I cannot begin to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you; your experience was certainly not up to Hyatt’s standards. The head of the housekeeping department has been made aware of your comments to ensure this does not happen in the future. We realize room cleanliness is of utmost importance to our guests, and apologize for the less than satisfactory condition you found your room in.

I understand you are in correspondence with the general manager, so we look forward to rectifying the situation.

All the best,
Lauren
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Good points:
1. Great location
2. Good sized bedrooms with nice comfy beds
3. Pleasant, polite reception staff (but see Not So Good points below).
4. Willing to compensate for a particular unacceptable aspect of our stay
5. Booked well in advance, cost was very competitive (family of 4 in room with 2 double beds)

Not So Good points:
1. House-keeping not up to scratch. Made a complaint to a member of the reception staff once, but nothing done. Complained again the next day and compensation agreed in a sensible, straight-forward manner.
2. As mentioned by some previous reviewers, the positioning of wash-basin and shelf clearly hasn't been thought out - impossible to lower your face fully over the wash-basin.
3. Unfortunately, wifi is charged for (free in nearby Starbucks, of course)

I would have given a 'very good' (4/5) rating if it weren't for the poor house-keeping. However, since I assume that it was a one-off I would have no hesitation in staying again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family