“This is a 4* hotel with budget touches and I’m sure Hyatt can do better.”

Grand Hyatt New York
Ranked #321 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“This is a 4* hotel with budget touches and I’m sure Hyatt can do better.”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Just back from a long weekend in NY with a friend, we stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights. The booking was made via Virgin Holidays
On checking in we were also told (as per martinc1973) that despite making our booking months ago, there were no rooms available with two double beds, but that they could move us for our second night (to compensate for this we were given 6 free drinks vouchers...). We initially accepted the offer of a room with one double bed and a rollaway bed for one night and changing over the following. Our allocated room was small and dark. When the rollaway bed arrived it was clear that there was going to be pretty much no floor space in the room once this was put up and frankly it wasn’t acceptable.

We went back to check-in and made a polite but firm fuss, pointing out that we’d booked was because they offered two double beds per room. This time the receptionist told us that there were rooms available, but they needed cleaning and that a room with two double beds would be free in a couple of hours. After some more to-ing and fro-ing, we were allocated a room on the 24th floor facing 42nd St which had two double beds.

The room was refurbed, with enough space for both of us. There were lots of design touches and it was great to have a docking station. Overall we were pleased with the room.
Housekeeping cleaned the bathroom and made the beds, but didn’t vacuum. A plate of food and dirty wine glasses remained in the room for 2 days until we placed them outside.
Concierge were really helpful and made restaurant bookings for us, the doormen were really friendly.
Receptionists/check-in were OK (and Lan was really kind and helpful – thank you!). But on one occasion I needed to ask a question of reception, but gave up after waiting 5 minutes for two receptionists to finish talking to each other about their dogs.
The state of the lobby was on occasion disgraceful, with discarded cans, bags etc left on the tables. None of the staff seemed to take any ownership of it. It left a really bad impression. On the whole I got the feeling that the staff didn’t care.
Lack of coffee/tea making facilities. This was a huge issue for me and totally out of place with a hotel which claims to be 4*. Why not use Starbucks coffee machines, every other hotel in NY seems to? Its the type of cost cutting associated with budget hotels. However, there is a cafe where you can buy food and drinks (at heavily inflated prices). The coffee was disgusting
In terms of location, its a great place to stay with easy access to everything touristy.
In summary, this is a 4* hotel with budget hotel touches and I’m sure Hyatt can do better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank JaneHH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I went to newyork with my Dad for my 21st, November last year. We only had one problem whilst we was there which was that the locker was broke, service was okay... however they didnt have the availability for us to move rooms and maintenance were unable to come out to fix it. We used a safety deposit box free of charge for the rest of the holiday which was absolutley fine. Staff were pleasant... Location = AMAZING. Hotel is a terminal to grand central so getting the tube was easy. We basically walked everywhere... seeing the sights ect.... amazing!! Would stay here again!! we was told before we went that you could here lots outside so wouldnt be able to sleep!! i found it very peaceful to sleep... :-) definatly recommend this hotel and would stay again!!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank Vikki03
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Vikki03,

Thank you for your kind feedback about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I apologize for the broken safe in your room, but I am glad to hear that it was resolved and you were able to use an alternative at no hassle.

It is an honor you chose to stay with us for your 21st birthday and it is wonderful to hear you had a pleasant time. I hope your birthday was everything you wanted and more!

We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next milestone birthday :)

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Stayed at the Hyatt 4 nights (5/27 to 31). Nice hotel - excellent location; however, maid service was spotty. Floor not vacuumed first day; wash cloths not left second day; only two glasses provided and, a rather strange room (1843) configuration. Still, not a bad experience. There is a $9.99/day charge for WIFI.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed June 1, 2011

First impressions were the hotel looked amazing however that changed pretty quickly. We were told first that we didn't have a room with 2 queens but would be able to get a roll away bed for the first night and I asked why to be told the hotel was busy and even though we had booked 6 months in advance we were told that because we had booked with a third party (Expedia) there was nothing available for night 1. We accepted this due to having a long flight from the UK. On night 2 we had to eventually ask for the new room as the hotel weren't forthcoming with info. We were given a new room and i'm certain the beds were doubles and not queens as booked but I let this go.

On the whole once setteled the hotel expierence was no more than ok but felt let down by the hotel aas it appeared that direct bookings had preference to 3rd party bookings even though Expedia are one of the largest tourist operators around.

Would I stay here again? Probably but only if it was the cheapest option available as the service offered was not what I would expect of a large New York hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Martin C
Beijing, China
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Me and my wife stayed in the hotel for our honeymoon trip. The hotel was in renovation and the entire experience couldn't reflect the shining Hyatt logo hanging outside the building. The receptionist only said 3 sentences in the entire check-in process, name, credit card and 'this is your room key, restaurant.....'. We couldn't feel any welcome and I am sure the Honeymoon was indicated in the system. We didn't expect more but a 'Congratulations'. The welcome letter was printed at the time of check-in which I doubt should be prepared in advance.

The room was terrible. we were arranged a room which was really far away from the elevator, you need to walk '5 minute' to get to your room door. After entering the room, you could expect the disappointment. There was no minibar in the room. The smoke detector was falling on the wall, the electronic panel at the back of the TV was out of the place. The room was increditily small with a dusty air vent behind the bed side lamp which is hardly to find the switch of it. Other than that, the concierge seems tired and when asking a question, there was not enough information provided with his long face. At the main entrance, I realized that I didn't have match for my cigarrette. So I asked the doorman for it, interesting thing is the doorman asked me for a spare cigarrete as a give back.

The server in the bar was very nice and we enjoyed the pizza and drinks there. She was warm and sincere and always came to ask how was the dinner etc. The location is definitely awesome, next to the Grand central, walking distance to the time square and standing around the office buildings. This maybe the explanation of poor service the hotel provided but it was still alive.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jeffinbeijing
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear Jeffinbeijing,

Thank you for giving us your feedback about your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I want to sincerely apologize for the service you received upon check-in. We always want our guests to feel welcomed with open arms when they first arrive, and the fact that you did not have this experience is unacceptable. Especially since it was your honeymoon, our staff should have went above and beyond to make sure you felt comfortable and welcomed.

The state of the room when you first arrived is unacceptable as well. We hold our housekeeping staff to very high standards and to find out that your room was found in this condition is very disappointing. I will bring this up with our housekeeping staff. Also, our concierge should have been eager to provide you with any information you needed. To hear that he was lackadaisical in his response is concerning and will be addressed as well.

I am happy to hear you had good service at the bar and that you enjoyed your food. The entire staff at the hotel should exemplify the same great service you experienced at the bar and I genuinely apologize that you did not feel that way.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time for telling us about your stay. We view guest feedback as a way to continually improve our service and products. I hope you will consider staying with us in the future. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me, I am happy to assist.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2011

The hotel is very average for a Grand Hyatt. I travel to New York often for work and pleasure and try different hotels. This one will not be a repeat visit. I understand that it is currently under construction for renovation, but you get here is typical "big hotel" service, but a bit less than what you would expect from a Grand Hyatt. Check in was fine, and room was very modernly redecorated, similar style to a W Hotel, however not quite the same quality as a W. The bathroom was incredibly small, but somewhat typical for an NYC hotel. The bed was comfortable and generous for a king size bed. The lighting system in the room is state of the art, touch switches that control a bunch of lights...modern and cool, but annoying when you are trying to just turn on one light or control a couple. Had a good night's sleep - except for the fact that my room was near a service door which people kept going in and out of all night to a service room and the staff were talking loudly and it echoed down the halls - staff clearly didn't understand it was 3am and people are trying to sleep.

Ordered some coffee in the room the next morning....$16.50 later. I understand that room service is a premium - but $16.50 for coffee? Leaving the hotel in the morning, the lobby was packed with a tour group leaving so it was chaos! The concierge desk had 2 people working at it - which for a hotel of this size is clearly under staffed. I had to wait 10 minutes to ask them something only to be directed to the front desk. When at the front desk, I was promptly informed, that no, there were no guest umbrellas available. Again, surprising for a hotel of this Brand, expected quality and price.

My advice...pass on the Grand Hyatt. Don't let the name deceive you, its barely a 3star for service - but if you want a great location you can't beat it being less than 100 yards from Grand Central Station.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank robfromVancouver
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Just a five minute walk from Time Square, 10 minutes from the UN HQ and slap bang on top of Grand Central - this hotel was awesome! We stayed there on our honeymoon. On check in when the staff realised we were honeymooning, we were made a real fuss of. An upgraded room, overlooking 42nd Street and the entrance to the Station, champagne, fruit and chocolates in the room as well as a card from the Manager to congratulate us.
The concierge was fantastic, sorting us out some very good seats to the Lion King on Broadway and also pointing out little hidden restaurants and shops to visit that most tourists miss. He also helped us book our onward coach to Washington DC. This was done with the minimal of fuss and very quickly. The porters were excellent and nothing was ever too much trouble.
The bedroom was simple, but very clean, with very good quality bedding. Although we didn't use the room service (we wanted to try as many restaurants as possible) the menu was very varied and considering normal 'city prices' I thought was good value for money.
There was a newly opened 24 hour cafe in the lobby, which did the best coffee (well it should, being New York!) and the staff there were very friendly. The bar was a bit expensive, but the quality of the decoration, the range of drinks and the ambience of the place more than made up for that.
I can see why this hotel might not be everybody's cup-of-tea. It is very busy, very big and very brash - very American I suppose. That being said I loved it and next time I return to New York, without a doubt I'm staying here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bassettallsort
GrandHyatt_NY_Mgmt, Public Relations & Marketing Coordinator at Grand Hyatt New York, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Dear Bassettallsort,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on your stay at Grand Hyatt New York. I am so glad you enjoyed your accommodations and congratulations on your recent union!

At Hyatt, we want to make your stay as memorable as possible, especially if you’re celebrating something as special as your honeymoon. I am delighted to hear that our staff went above in beyond when arranging your accommodations upon arrival. We hope it made your trip that much more memorable! Our concierge is also well versed and knowledgeable of all things New York. I am glad that they were able to arrange your itinerary during your stay.

I am also happy to hear you enjoyed our 24 hour grab and go market and the New York Central Bar. Both establishments are fairly new and we are excited about their addition to the Grand Hyatt property.

I hope you had an unforgettable honeymoon in New York City and want to thank you again for choosing Grand Hyatt New York. We hope to see you again!