“Beautiful Blakely”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #130 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 28, 2006

I stayed at this hotel Nov. 28/29 with friends. Too bad we only had one night; we all loved the Blakely! Terrific West side location surrounded by lots of restaurants. Subway is right outside. Wish we had time to try the Italian restaurant in the hotel; menu looked impressive. Huge room; spotless; modern take on British decor; flat screen TV/CD players. Loved the marble bathrooms and the "computerized" shower (You punch in the temperature you want) Great water pressure. Hated to get out of the comfy bed. Hotel was very quiet; there are only a handful of rooms on each floor. Some street noise outside, but this is New York! In-room safes, plenty of storage space. The lifts are tiny, however, but fast and efficient. Will absolutely return. This is a sister hotel to the Elysee, another favorite.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
10  Thank ChotaLancasterPA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed December 17, 2006

I stayed for two nights 12/15-12/17. The hotel location is near perfect as stated before given its close proximity to Central Park, shopping on 5th Ave, the Theater District, Times Square, etc. I did not have any issues with noise though I did call a few days beforehand to request a high floor. I was thus very satisifed with the 14th floor. Some people mentioned a long wait for the elevators in the morning but I never experienced issues coming from near the top of the hotel. Rooms were very nice and I did not quite understand previous complaints. The bathroom was exceptionally clean. I will acknowledge that the TV was on the small side, but if you are staying over in the city, you are likely not watching much TV in your room. In summary - I found the hotel to be a great value around the holidays. I booked early in k the year and likely saved significantly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank NeilCataldi
Reviewed December 17, 2006

Stayed at the Blakely in June after reading the Tripadvisor reviews.
The trip was a 21st birthday present for my daughter and the hotel staff pulled out all the stops to make our stay really something to remember. We were upgraded free of charge to a suite and my daughter was presented with a bottle of wine & chocolates. Lovely touch.
Our suite was lovely and the bathroom was superb. The shower was so large you could have put 4 people in it easily (if you were so inclined!).
The staff were welcoming and helpful and a special mention for the concierge guys who were always on hand to give useful advice on the subway, places to eat, plus places to avoid.
Would be hard to find a better located hotel as Central Park was only a few blocks away and Times Square & most other attractions were easily within walking distance.
Already planning a return trip to NY & will definitely book the Blakely again.

16  Thank bigappleeater
Reviewed December 2, 2006

The Blakely Hotel is in a great location near shopping, Central Park and Time Square. The rooms are a decent size and nicely decorated. Only sheet and bedspread on the bed not giving much option for coverage. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Janiekins53
Reviewed October 12, 2006

This was our second trip to New York, and our first stay at the Blakely. We found the hotel by searching the Internet. Our 6 day stay, was superb. The hotel is within walking distance to Central Park and Times Square. The room was very large (2 Queen beds), extremely clean, and quiet. The restaurant and bar attached is fantastic, and the staff at the hotel and the restaurant are very helpful and friendly. The food prices are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I would highly recommend this hotel for a New York visit.

• Stayed: September 2006
9  Thank grg1
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We have just come back from a wonderful holiday in New York. I have wanted to visit New York since I was a child. Now approaching my 50th birthday and my husband just having celebrated the same age birthday we decided to go on a dream holiday with our 2 grown up daughters to New York.
We stayed at the Blakely Hotel on 55th street and it was brilliant. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were old world style with clean bed linen every day. The bed was one of the most comfortable I had ever slept in. In fact everything about the Hotel was well above our expectation. The hotel was within walking distance to Central Park, Bloomingdales and Time Square. We had a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank mmez
Reviewed October 6, 2006

After having read the other reviews, I found my experience was somewhat consistent with others' experiences.

This is a boutique hotel - it was renovated over a few years back. I would guess it was a hip destination for a short while, but it seems like now it's starting to lose its lustre, and I think it's due for some sort of renovation.

First - the rooms are OK. As far as NYC goes, they're on the smaller side. They do have flat screen televisions, but they are very small and the picture quality is poor because they are not receiving any HD signals. The carpets and furniture are showing signs of wear (example - the sitting chair in my room was covered in a felt or velvet-y material, and looked like it was worn out where your butt and back would hit if you sat against it). Likewise, the rooms need to be repainted and the carpets are starting to show wear and stains.

The bathrooms, similar deal. They were probably great when the Blakely opened, but for whatever reason the showers have seen their share of abuse and have that dirty appearance even when they are clean. The shower is also a jet-tub, and there is crust/calcium accumulating on the jets and on the nozzles of the shower heads. The tiles on the floor are starting to discolor and crack.

The restaurant is OK - but then again, this restaurant is not why you're probably in NYC. Service was great. The breakfast is not very good but dinner is definitely worth checking out.

If any of this doesn't bother you, you will probably really enjoy the Blakely. Service there is excellent - the staff is both friendly and helpful. It does make up a lot for any of the shortcomings, which, everyone may not find to be as big of a deal as me.

The location is good if you want to be near times square but not in times square, but I think there are better options all around for what a room at the Blakely costs.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business