“Feel at home in New York”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #130 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was in NY this January, and chose the hotel for the location, and for having a mini kitchen, it would be very useful on cold days. The hotel is cozy, unlike big chain hotels, so impersonal. The room was spacious, the bed wonderful, linens, amenities: all of the highest quality. Not all NY hotels offer breakfast included in the daily rate, another differential of this hotel. The staff's nice and friendly. There are subway station down the street, restaurants, markets, all at your fingertips. I loved it and will return to stay there again when in New York.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,463)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family stayed here while we were on vacation. Very nice hotel and with in walking distance of Times Square. Our Subway was also very close to the hotel. Gives complimentary umbrellas if it rains as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jmgriffin9
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at this fab hotel at the beginning of May and reception kindly upgraded us to a larger room on the 9th floor on arrival given it was a special trip which was very much appreciated. Gorgeous classic style rooms-well maintained and spotlessly clean.
Continental breakfast very good and gave us a good start to the day before hitting the busy streets. The queues for the toaster at any hotel never ceases to amuse me. Why do fellow travellers insist of putting in their few slices and feel the need to stand there protectively guarding / preventing others from also putting their slices on at the back.... Step to the side to wait for it to drop out for goodness sake people:-) no-one will steal it!! If not, sure enough within a few minutes a long queue has developed-blocking other guests from getting to the bread @ bagels....
Our 2nd trip to NY and thought hotel In excellent location. Local neighbourhood had nice feel to it-plenty of bars and restaurants close by.
All staff very efficient, friendly and helpful - would definitely stay here again on next visit.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank TEQUILAMAX
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a 'girls trip' staying at the Blakely.
We couldn't have ask for better location…just a few blocks from Central Park, the theater district, close to shopping, nail salon, pizza, deli's etc.
The employees at the hotel were great and always helpful. Room service was very prompt.
The free breakfast each morning was a nice continental.
The rooms were big, clean, nicely decorated and with a fridge, micro wave, coffee maker and the beds slept great!
The restaurant adjacent to the hotel was much much better than your average hotel restaurant. It had a very comfortable atmosphere with big garage style doors opening to the street. The food was very good and the bartenders knew how to make a great French Martini.

Room Tip: we booked as 'a family' and had two queen beads and a loveseat sofa sleeper. I check with th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bea4710
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Having stayed at a very average hotel off 5th Avenue near the Public Library in September 2011, I decided to manage my expectations of The Blakely to prevent disappointment overshadowing my 4 day stay. All my anxiety evaporated from the moment I walked into the reception area. The service was great from start to finish. Staff were courteous and helpful; the room was clean and so much larger than I'd expected or hoped for ( NYC isn't the only city with small hotel bedrooms!); the bed was comfortable and the kitchenette very handy. Internet response in reception was on the slow side for my companion although I had no problem when I logged on early one morning to check in online with British Airways. I'm used to staying in hotels on 43rd to 45th street and really loved being some distance from the crowds and hurly-burly of Times Square. The Blakely's proximity to Columbus Circle, MoMA and a range of restaurants within a 5 minute walk are just a few of the reasons to return here. I would recommend The Blakely highly particularly for travellers who are looking for a more intimate, individual experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Foodie5154
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Blakely is a really nice hotel. Great location. Comfortable beds. However, I will not be back because I depend on internet access in my room when I travel, and that was not available in our room. The hotel advertises free wifi, and once in a while we could get on the internet and view our homepage, but we could never get another page to load. We talked to the front desk who offered suggestions, but nothing worked. Then I checked TripAdvisor and saw several reviews that mentioned poor wifi, so I knew it was a lost cause. In four days we completely exhausted our iPad data plan! When will hotels understand that many travelers rely on internet access? If you can't offer good free wifi, then charge for it!

If wifi is not important to you, here are my other observations about the hotel: They offer a free continental breakfast which is rare in NY City. However, the breakfast was too carbohydrate heavy for me so we ate out most mornings. No proteins on the breakfast bar. Why not offer a basket of boiled eggs or greek yogurt instead of plain? Our room was a nice size - probably the largest we've ever had in NY. We were on the 12th floor, but there was still a considerable amount of street noise at night - our room faced the back of the hotel. There were two small and very slow elevators, and we frequently had to wait a long time for one. The TV in the room predates HDTV. Not a biggie for NY City, but just another example that this hotel is a little behind the times. The bathroom was large with a rather small sink so there was barely room to spread out our toiletries. The hairdryer was probably something you can purchase at "5 Below," so if you care about your hair, bring your own. The room had a large safe, which was nice, and it could accommodate all our valuables. The rooms were clean, but one morning our cleaning lady knocked and entered the room immediately before 9 am! We didn't have any time to respond before she entered. Wow that's early for cleaning rooms. The staff was somewhat friendly, but not nearly as friendly as they are at the NY hotel we normally stay at (see my other reviews), and which we will be returning to on our next visit. So with all these negatives why four stars? Location, location, location. Close to 5th Avenue shops, close to Central Park, etc. etc. We thought we would try a different hotel on this trip, but it was a mistake. If you love old hotels and don't rely on the internet to plan your activities or to check in at work, then you will love the Blakely.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Staying (unfortunately) for only one night, we arrived before official check-in. We were, however, greeted warmly and told a room was available and we were upgraded at no charge to a lovely suite! It is a narrow hotel, with c 25 floors but only 5 or 6 rooms per floor so while it feels a little 'tight' on space in the corridor, the room was generous in size (relative to some NYC hotel rooms) with a traditional feel to it and really comfy beds. The staff were friendly, the free (continental) breakfast was simple but more than adequate and the location is superb. I would definitely recommend this hotel. In addition, on checking out, we were asked if we wanted a hotel car to the airport. Given it was a Friday evening (& raining), we decided to take it even though it was a little more expensive than a cab. It was well worth it though as we were treated to a very comfortable ride to the airport in a spacious Lexus with a true gentleman of a driver (Vincente) - a relaxing finish to our trip.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family