“The actions of one man ..... Jose Sanchez!”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #130 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hi I feel this hotel is more than worthy of a positive review.

In reality, I never really stayed there this time round ..... I will though without doubt from what I saw and the service I received, and from the feedback of others who where there at the time.

My friend and I were in New York during the Hurricane Sandy debacle. Our own hotel was in chaos, and was without power or water. Our flights had obviously been cancelled and the British Embassy was less than useful! (we got turned away as we didn't have an appointment. If I;d have know 2 days previously that New York would be under a state of national emergency, I'd have booked ahead!!).

Anyway, our phones were dead, we were cold and wet and just about at our wits end. Then I came across The Blakely. It was an impressive foyer although the hotel itself doesn't jump out at you so it can be easily missed.

We needed to regroup our thoughts and we asked the concierge, Jose Sanchez, if it would be possible to come in and have a coffee. We were told that the restaurant was closed as the staff hadn't been able to get in - due to the storm obviously. Gutted!!

Then Jose became a legend in our eyes. He allowed us to use the hotel's laptop so we were able to reassure loved ones back in the UK that all was well, and we tried to rearrange our flights accordingly. He also allowed us to charge our phones and use the restrooms. This was more than our Embassy allowed! (as one of our chargers had died, he even managed to find a spare for us to borrow!)

We had a little look round and we eventually got our coffee's! He literally was a lifesaver in our eyes.

I appreciate that this review seems to be about Jose, and yes, it is, but by going on what we saw of the hotel, and the level of service their staff provided us was second to none! (bearing in mind that we weren't even guests)

I hope that you guys take this review in the positive manner it's meant to be received in. Jose is a credit to this hotel, and on the back of his actions alone, I'll honestly have no hesitation in staying at that hotel the next time I'm in New York. If The Blakely employees people of that character and calibre, then that's good enough for me.

Cheers :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Crezza-from-74
Write a ReviewReviews (1,462)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Clean but dark rooms...price is alot much than it worths...furniture is getting old...location is good..car rentals are close..central park is close..fitness center is small but ok...i was hoping better because it is a butique newyork city hotel with a very high price level..but hardly satisfied...

Room Tip: street side
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ironworker2006
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Blakely is small, intimate, comfortable and is located conveniently to everything you want to do. The suites are all a family needs. Plenty of space and wonderful amenities. Very quiet despite what some have said. Continental breakfast is exactly what it says but offers plenty to eat and finding a breakfast included room in NYC is rare. Staff is wonderful - all the way from front door to housekeeping and maintenance. Umbrellas for guests at the door was just an unexpected and charming bonus. We needed them on two occasions and walked all over the city with our Blakely umbrellas. What a thoughtful touch. This hotel felt like home and will be our permanent base in New York. You will not get this experience with a mega chain.

Room Tip: Corner suites are worth every penny.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cueball929
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my first time staying at the Blakely and I was impressed overall. My mini-suite style room was very comfortable and well equipped, with a great bathroom with both bath and shower. The lifts were a little slow and creaky and there was a great deal of traffic/vehicle noise filtering through my closed windows between 1am and 5am - could do with better sound-proofing, but the noise is everywhere in Manhattan, as the city never sleeps!

The hotel was small enough to be intimate and you could walk in and forget where you were for a while. Upper mid-twon Manhattan is very nice and well populated with nice restaurants plus you are only a few blocks from Central Park, Carnegie Hall and Times Square. The Metro stop is very close too, so getting downtown to where I was working each day was very easy.

All in all a very enjoyable stay and I would certainly stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rear of the hotel and the rear of the Hilton can be noisy thanks to delivery a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TimHaskell
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed in a nicely furnished room with two double beds, plush bathroom (with fab power shower) and small kitchenette (microwave, fridge, coffee maker and sink. Housekeeping excellent - pristine when we returned after long day sightseeing. We requested by email, 2 rooms next door and were given these for our trip with no problems.
Location is perfect. Walking distance to Times Square, Central Park and Rockefeller - subway on next street corner etc.
Seemed far more personable than some of the larger faceless hotels offered in package deals.
Found breakfast to be more than adequate - fruit juices, coffee, fresh fruit, 3 different cereals, toast/bagels/english muffins with philly & jam and sweet blueberry muffin cakes - is this not enough to start the day!!!!!
We stayed on floor 8 and could still hear the garbage trucks early in the morning, but it IS New York!!! Found the gym on the last day - small with running machine, xtrainer, cycle, weights etc enough for a holiday workout!
Hotel looked after our cases on the last day till late afternoon so that we could be tourists to the bitter end!
We would definately use this hotel again if we are lucky enough to return to the Big Apple.

Room Tip: Away from front and higher floors would have less road noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Isobel G
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've stayed here several times, a week at a time. Location is ideal, close to all mid-town good stuff, park, restaurants, Carnegie Hall, shops, and public transportation to anywhere else. Not cheap, but at $450 a comfortable luxury suite at a price that might get you only a room at some other mid-town hotels.
The rooms are comfortably furnished and the housekeeping service excellent. The so-called kitchenette is minimal -- microwave, sink, coffee maker, and small fridge mostly filled with minibar stuff, but they will clear out the minibar if you ask and then you will have a decent fridge. I consider the complementary breakfast really poor so we buy our own supplies at the superb gourmet market Ernst Klein around the corner on 6th Avenue and fix our own in the room.
All in all, a fine choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert H
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here with my sister for 2 nights. We stayed in a 1 bed suite, which was very nice, spacious, clean and modern. Request a high floor as the area is noisy, but the location is fantastic, with Broadway, times Sq etc around the corner. Service needs work, continental breakfast offering is poor, very basic and you are expected to tip just for having Tea or Coffee brought to the table, that's if they have any!!!!. Look around, I'm sure there is better and cheaperm

• Stayed: October 2012