Hi I feel this hotel is more than worthy of a positive review.
In reality, I never really stayed there this time round ..... I will though without doubt from what I saw and the service I received, and from the feedback of others who where there at the time.
My friend and I were in New York during the Hurricane Sandy debacle. Our own hotel was in chaos, and was without power or water. Our flights had obviously been cancelled and the British Embassy was less than useful! (we got turned away as we didn't have an appointment. If I;d have know 2 days previously that New York would be under a state of national emergency, I'd have booked ahead!!).
Anyway, our phones were dead, we were cold and wet and just about at our wits end. Then I came across The Blakely. It was an impressive foyer although the hotel itself doesn't jump out at you so it can be easily missed.
We needed to regroup our thoughts and we asked the concierge, Jose Sanchez, if it would be possible to come in and have a coffee. We were told that the restaurant was closed as the staff hadn't been able to get in - due to the storm obviously. Gutted!!
Then Jose became a legend in our eyes. He allowed us to use the hotel's laptop so we were able to reassure loved ones back in the UK that all was well, and we tried to rearrange our flights accordingly. He also allowed us to charge our phones and use the restrooms. This was more than our Embassy allowed! (as one of our chargers had died, he even managed to find a spare for us to borrow!)
We had a little look round and we eventually got our coffee's! He literally was a lifesaver in our eyes.
I appreciate that this review seems to be about Jose, and yes, it is, but by going on what we saw of the hotel, and the level of service their staff provided us was second to none! (bearing in mind that we weren't even guests)
I hope that you guys take this review in the positive manner it's meant to be received in. Jose is a credit to this hotel, and on the back of his actions alone, I'll honestly have no hesitation in staying at that hotel the next time I'm in New York. If The Blakely employees people of that character and calibre, then that's good enough for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Midtown Manhattan Central Park West, steps way from Times Square and 5th Avenue Shops. A 4-Diamond Property, continuously voted as one of the top independent hotels by US News & World Report - 2014 - 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your The Blakely New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Blakely New York Hotel New York City
- Blakely Hotel New York City
- Blakely New York City
- Blakely New York Hotel