“I love New York”

The Blakely New York
Ranked #135 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We arrived to a warm welcome after flying all the way from Scotland. We had stayed here before, and the location is perfect for Midtown shopping, sightseeing and theatres. Our room was large and comfortable with a kitchenette, microwave etc. You could live here! Breakfast is FREE, a generous continental buffet with homemade muffins the highlight. A very good restaurant, and a busy bar where we enjoyed our evening cocktails in style. Try the Pear Martinis! Finally, a mention for the helpful reception and concierge staff who organised airport transfers and stored our luggage for us. If (when) we return to NY we will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bonzorino

Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here from 6-12October to celebrate my 60th birthday.Firstly,the hotel has a great location,15 minutes walk to Central Park and the same to Times Square.The hotel is mid-priced and therefore a more personal,friendlier place than the so called 5 star ones.The staff are efficient,friendly and very professional,especially the concierge guys(Edwin and Jose).The continental style breakfast was well presented and more than sufficient,and if you don't feel like going out at night,the hotel has an Italian restaurant next door.We would have no hesitation in staying here again,when we make a return visit to New York.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view of 55th street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JOHN H
Reviewed October 16, 2012

After arriving at the Blakely from a 7 hour flight from London Heathrow the concierge staff greeted me with a friendly smile and hello! (October 2012)This was I have to say, lovely. Pedro (concierge) was very attentive to our needs and couldn't do enough to help. All the front of house staff were helpful friendly and polite which made my stay at the Blakely even more enjoyable. Pedro even assisted in obtaining broadway tickets at a very reasonable price!

The continental breakfast was well topped up each morning with a variety of bagels, muffins and cereal. Top up tea and coffee and fruit juice was available.

The room itself was kitted out with with a fridge, microwave and coffee machine all included. The beds were comfortable and the air conditioning worked a treat.

The hotel itself is located in a fab position with Central Park and Times Square only a few blocks away. 5th avenue is only a short walk away, but to be fair everything is only a short walk away! The subway at the end of the road takes you straight to Macy's which for a shopaholic was perfect. A 7 day pass cost just $29, this entitled you to travel on buses as well as the subway. It took a little getting used to with the geographic logistics of which way you required to travel but it is a quick and easy way to beat the traffic.

All in all it was a wonderful stay, in a clean hotel, in the most perfect location. If returning to NYC I would certainly check back in at The Blakely. Thank you to all the staff that made my vacation so pleasurable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tkb143
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Everything was outstanding. Loved having a Keurig coffee maker in the room. Would love to stay here again! It was not inexpensive but worth it. Beautifully decorated too. With a wonderful restaurant attached.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank lynnbrown68
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This review was written to strictly to address my experience with the reservation process. My family have stayed previously at the Blakely and were happy. That time I had made reservations on the web. But, this time when I called to make a reservation it was a nightmare. I called from California about 3pm on a Friday afternoon. The woman who answered told me that reservations was closed and to call back. When I asked when, she told me to call Monday. I told her I did not want to miss out on a room by waiting so long. It shocked me that the Blakely would not have someone to take a reservation for the entire weekend. She stammered around and then put me on hold for awhile.
When she returned she stammered, spoke in phrases and was at times incomprehensible. She finally tried to take my information but I had to repeat myself over and over again and spell my name repeatedly.
We finally made some progress but after she gave me the cost of the room I asked her what the grand total would be for the 3 nights. She stammered and put me on hold for awhile again and then told me she would have to call me back. I then had to repeat my name several times AGAIN.
She did call me back 5 minutes later but forgot my name. She also forgot that I had asked for a total price for the 3 nights.
She said she had found that we had stayed there before and that we were in the computer but she needed my name AGAIN. AGAIN I had to repeat it and spell it 4 times, even though she supposedly was looking at it in the computer in front of her.
I asked her if the price was refundable if I were to cancel. She then put me on hold again and when she came back she forgot what I had asked. I asked her again if I could cancel without a fee and she said, 'I THINK SO". At that point I told her forget it and hung up. Was I frustrated. At that point I began looking for another hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank TravelPo11
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Blakely hotel was our first stop in our trip around USA, and was our first time visit to NYC and was a great experience! We had booked a Queen room but when we had got into our room we noticed it was two double beds.We had tried it out for a night but it was just too cramped! We told the front desk, and they thought we may like that room as it was bigger than the queen room, but we said we would prefer the Queen bed! however they saw that there was a King Superior room and upgraded us-which was a pleasant surprise! The room was HUGE! not expected in NY!
The concierge was great! they helped us out booking a baseball game (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!) and getting around alot of the places we wanted to visit.
The breakfast was complementary everyday and was pretty average-just bagels, toast, cereals,muffins and toast and juices but this was great as we didn't really want to be eating anything too heavy!
The location was FANTASTIC!! within walking distance to everything- Central Park, Times Square, Madison Av, 5th Av, 7th Av EVERYWHERE!! we did about 8 hours of walking everday-so much to see and soooo much to do in NYC!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Heather R
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My friends and I had a suite at The Blakely Hotel for my bachelorette party.
PROS
*Sitting area was nice with an additional TV and a large pull out couch
*Nice Bar area in the room
*Bedroom was big as well...another TV in here and an iPod dock :)
*Beautiful bathroom

CONS
*Radiator leaked...carpet was wet the whole time we were there. Told maintenance, but nothing was done. This also made the room smell a bit musty.
*Bathroom had 1 outlet, and it was in a very strange spot. We were at a Bachelorette and had a ton of girls needing outlets, so this was a little inconvenient for us.
*Elevator was small and took FOREVER. Often took the stairs.
*Continental Breakfast was offered, however only had muffins, and bagels. Staff working was extremely rude.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anne-Marie C