“Bed Bugs”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Bed Bugs”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I recently stayed in the Edison Hotel for two nights and upon checking out of the hotel I started to notice red welts appearing on my legs. This gradually increased in number and were a result of bed bugs in the hotel. Do not stay here as I have since researched this problem and alot of others have complained of the same problem.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank eimalibu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,744)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NY
Reviewed November 15, 2009

The worst of the worst, quoted one price, charged another, quoted price for parking, charged another, had to pay for ice, asked for a garbage bag since house cleaning didn't empty the trash cans and we had water bottles ect, lined up all over and was told no, don't worry about it, one door man was very rude, one doorman was very nice. The room was dirty and dusty, I was afraid to take a bath, just couldn't make myself sit in the tub, did take a shower, used a towel in tub to stand on, but the water pressure was great.
The rooms are very small, furniture very old and in bad shape, one electrical outlet for charging cell phones, sheets did not fit the beds, beds did not fit the frames, room smelled damp, musty, NO LOCKS on the bathroom door, key cards needed to be used at least twice, first time never worked. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank WTRAVELER_9

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2009

The location of this hotel is absolutely fantastic, when we arrived it was dark and we drove through all of the lights at Times square and all i can say is WOW. The hotel is literally on Times square so the location is great. The hotel room was very small with a bed and tv and bathroom but to be honest we hardly spent any time in the hotel apart from sleeping which was more than comfortable. on our last day the hotel stored our luggage for us which cost 50cents per bag so nothing really and there is a taxi rank right outside of the hotel so no problems getting taxis. we mostly walked around the city and i can only advise people to wear comfortable shoes - i wore ugg boots yet my feet were aching so much after day 2. on our 1st day we went to top of the rock and the views were amazing, we never got round to going up the empire state so i cannot advise which was better but top of the rock was definately amazing. we used the subways which were good, a little confusing but as long as you have maps you are ok, i couldnt have been without my map of new york so i would recommend getting one as when you come out from the subway it can be a little confusing as to where you are. we didn't visit ellis island but we did take the staten island ferry which is free which goes right past the statue of liberty so we got plenty of photos of her. i would thoroughly recommend new york we had a brilliant time but very very tireing but panic not there is a starbucks on pretty much every street!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angeandgazbrumuk
Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2009

This the the absolute worst hotel I have stay in (and I have stay in a lot of hotels). I must admit that the entrance had a very nice art-deco feel to it. Sad to say it all changed when I got to my room....The room was small and old....The towels still had hair in them and had a funny smell!!!!! No doubt the location was great but I will never stay at this hotel ever again. I was attracted to the art-deco description on the website but never again...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank giantnrs
Alabama
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Arrived for a 2 night stay with my family, parents and wife's parents. We had a total of 3 rooms. Location was fantastic since close to several Broadway theatres and 1/2 block from Times Square. We saw the Lion King production( great show) and did the Grayline hop on and hop off bus tour (also good) . Both were convenient to the hotel. We ate 2 meals at the Edison Cafe. Both were good and reasonably priced. This is an older hotel with older bathrooms and carpet. Cleanliness was okay and rooms were somewhat small but functional. Concierge was friendly & helpful.
When packing up to leave on the last morning, we discovered bed bugs in two of our rooms. We left evidence of the bugs we killed in the rooms and told the maid in the hallway about the problem. She asked us to please report this to the downstairs manager. She said she had reported this problem previously, but management would not do anything. We immediately went to the front desk, asked to speak to the manager and reported the problem. He seemed nonchalant and said he would send someone up to check on it. After waiting for about 15 minutes, I approached the manager again and ask if anyone had gone to the rooms to inspect them. He said "Oh I will have to contact a professional outside the Hotel to inspect the rooms" and it would be a while. He never apologized or offered any type of discount on the rooms. My mother in law was bitten several times causing intense itching and swollen whelps for several days afterward. The bugs were under the skirts of the beds. Extra precautions had to be taken when arriving back home to prevent spreading these pests to our own homes. As stated above, location was great but will never stay here again. Not worth the unsanitary risk and being bitten (by bugs and unconcerned management). Obviously, they had been made aware of the problem before according to the cleaning staff but had done nothing to resolve issue and continue to put people in these infested rooms. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank bamacrzer
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I would deffo recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't need Hilton or Marriot standards.
The hotel is in an awesome location, just around the corner from Times Square with entrances in 46th & 47th.
I was there with my parents, my dad ran the Marathon. After the first night (thursday-friday) they went to book a room in the Marriott across the street. Problem was the poor window quality, causing my dad to wake up several times a night. And honestly, they are really picky when it comes to hotels.
The rest of the stay, I was thus alone in a room with two double beds, which made it obviously very spacious.
The staff of the hotel was very friendly. I left my cell phone, money and laptop on my bed and when I came back, nothing was missing (yes, I think that is something worth mentioning!).
The only remark is that everything is quite old. It deffo needs some renovation. The shower wasn't really good, the beds were 'OK' and the doors inside the building were pretty noisy. And of course the windows don't really let you get away from the busy Times Square traffic.
Nevertheless, I had a very pleasant stay in this wonderful hotel and I will go back to this hotel for sure! I would recommend to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of noise and a minimum of bathroom luxury in exchange for the awesome location!

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NathanJ4
Essex
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Firstly, what an excellent location for a 1st trip to New York. It is right in the heart of all the action. The rooms are very basic which was fine as i wasn't planning on spending my time in NY in the room. One grumble i do have is that there are no tea making facilities which is essential when you have been out sight seeing all. Thank god for Starbucks which is on the corner. Staff were all very friendly and willing to help out in any way. The hotel did feel very oldie worldy but you only had to step out the door to be reminded of where you were. I would definately stay at the Hotel Edison again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends