“Location, Location, Location”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #313 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I chose the Edison hotel, because for a decent hotel it had the most affordable prices of hotels in the Times Square area (around $160 per night). You have to check the websites regularly to find this kind of deal. Regularly rooms seem to run between $200 and $300+ per night. It's an older hotel, but it is clean, comfortable, and rooms have been renovated. Space-wise my room was very adequate. The best thing about the Edison is the location just steps from Times Square and in the middle of all the theaters. The only negatives for me were the couple times the water in the shower just got warm, but not hot; and I could have used more electrical outlets. Be aware that the hotel restaurant is cash only. I went to five different shows and it took me from 5-15 minutes to walk to each theater.

Room Tip: You might ask for a higher room to get further away from the Times Square traffic noise. On the 11t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Schreckster

Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many hotels in NYC for 36yrs and I discovered hotel Edison 5yrs ago ,it's now my favorite,super helpful ,friendly staff,newly renovated rooms,clean,I took my 13yr granddaughter for first time n it was like home,the location is perfect,great theaters on both sides of hotel,great food nearby..tkts booth half a block away,shop n shop n go to room for a break was close ,tkts makes a great landmark if you don't know NYC to well...love love this hotel,my home away from home!!!!my goal is to stay here twice a year!!!thank you Edison!!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank cindy h
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Came to the Edison with slight trepidation. Some of the reviews weren't great. However my fears were quashed. The room was great. Big comfy bed. Fairly quiet (as quiet as NYC can be) and nicely furnished. The bathroom maybe need a slight update but it did the job. Shower with hot water etc. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The Cafe Edison next door is perfectly situated and does fab breakfasts. With Times Square just around the corner everything is on your doorstep. Fab stay in NYC!!!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. After reading other reviews before booking it sounded like the type of place we were after. Nothing fancy but clean, comfortable and a good location. Perfect for a quick stop over. Checking in was a nightmare, we had requested an early check in and we kept getting sent away and told different times to come back. There was always about 5 or 6 staff on reception and none of them seemed to know what the other was doing. On the 3rd attempt to check in we were told to go away for another hour, yet when we spoke to someone else further along the desk they checked us in straight away!? The following day I asked if there was laundry facilities in the hotel and at exactly the same time one of them said yes and the other said no......Throughout our stay their attitude was abrupt, and almost rude at times. As for the room it was fine in size, all you needed for a few days, even though the bathroom was smaller than the cupboard! What was really annoying was the heater under the window. Not only was high enough that the curtains were resting on it and getting hot, there were cables hanging out the side of it and it was impossible to turn off. There was a control panel on the wall for it and even set to "Off" it still came on every 20minutes at a force of about 20 hairdryers. Not great in the middle of the night! The glass in the window frame may as well not even been there. It didn't block out any noise at all. I appreciate it was near Times Square and New York is always busy, but to be woken up even with earplugs in because of the noisy heater and road works outside was just ridiculous. We had also booked a non-smoking room, yet there must have been smoking rooms on the same floor because as soon as you came out the lift the hallway smelt of smoke, it was disgusting. If you are a deep sleeper, not staying long and don't require an early check in this place is fine. The location is great, within walking distance of most department stores and Central Park. But I would strongly recommend looking at spending a bit more money and staying at one of the other hotels in the area though.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jen6552
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in December 2013 for four nights and found the location to be perfect!
We were checked in very quickly and we were lucky enough to be upgraded to one of their signature rooms due to me celebrating my birthday during our stay!

The room, albeit small (quite common in New York) was immaculate and had everything we needed, the bed was the most comfy bed I have ever slept in!

We ate breakfast in the adjoining restaurant/cafe every morning, I was dubious at first about eating there but the food was delicious and they had a great meal deal, we paid approx $30 for 2 breakfast meal deals which were very filling!

We used the airport shuttle service which ran every 2 hours, the price was very reasonable and I beleive you can catch this shuttle the the hotel too, however we paid a small fortune to ride in a yellow cab to the hotel, (this was on my wish list though).

I would definately use this hotel again! It was a well run, immaculately clean establishment and served us very well for our stay!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tara-Watson
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We took the advice of other reviewers and booked a remodeled room. We arrived at 2:55 and the clerk advised that check-in time was not until 3pm and to check back in ten minutes. At 3:15, our room was still not ready. The clerk gave no indication of when it could be ready and seemed indifferent to the situation. At 3:30 we checked with a different clerk Yousef who did actually apologize for the situation but the room would not be ready until 4pm. He did give us a complimentary ticket for free wifi. This would be nice; however, it baffles me that wifi is not provided as a standard feature.
When we finally got the room, we found it to be nice, clean, and comfortable. No complaints there. The housekeeper was quite friendly and made sure our needs were met.
The hotel is ideally located to almost anything you'd want to visit in NYC. We toured Rockefeller center and went to see Les Mis. We never needed any cabs or public transportation.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank tarafied
Reviewed March 31, 2014

What a gem of a place The Edison is within throwing distance of Times Square. Attentive, friendly staff, nice bar and a graet example of an art deco hotel. You MUST show your room key to get into the elevators making you feel secure. The standard rooms are are a good size and maybe need some touching up, but they are very clean, as was the bedding and towels. I would recommend this hotel to friends and we are planning to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Higher rooms for a good view or request the upgrade rooms on the top floors, then join their loyalty...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple