“What a surprise!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I booked my stay at the Edison Hotel on a wim. I didn't do much research regarding hotels in NYC or the Edison's history. BUT I was super impressed. The room was inexpensive, but lovely. The furniture was nice, the staff were friendly, the lobby was quaint, the bed was comfy, and the location was PERFECT! What a location! You are right in the heart of town square.

The only problems: the room is very, very tiny. Especially the bathroom. I've never seen a bathroom so small. The elevator was run-down but that didn't bother me a bit.

Great experience overall at the Edison!

Room Tip: Beware of the tiny bathrooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Becca B
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Becca B,
You kind words and high marks means so much to us as we work hard to ensure that your stay is satisfactory. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hotel Edison. Please keep in touch via social media.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,701)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently I traveled to NYC for a Broadway benefit. We decided to try a hotel closer to Times Square and where the benefit was. The location was good. Less than half a block to Times Square and the famous TKTS ticket booth and across the street from the Barrymore theater. Due to potential noise, I called ahead and asked for room on high floor. The lady say she would make a note, but wasn't guaranteed. We ended up on 8th floor about midway up. When I made reservation online, I saw signature rooms listed, but none for rooms with 2 beds, which I wanted. Obviously those are the rooms to get. Upon arrival to our room, we noticed it definitely wasn't new. The TV and lamps seems new, but that was all. The furniture looked like something out of the 70s. The bed was very hard. I noted this in post stay survey by hotel. The response was that they were sorry and mattress pads were available if we had asked. (I have never thought of asking for mattress pad at a hotel because never needed before!!) The room was good size, especially for NY. Our room faced the street and could hear noise throughout the night. The next day, we stopped at transportation desk to ask for directions to Macy's. The lady was curt - "its 15-20 min walk down Broadway" It was cold and windy, but no other options given such as bus, subway or taxi. The room also had sad lack of plugs in this day and age of electronics. We had to unplug lamp and use that extension cord to power up. All in all, nice location, but with so many options in the area, next time, I'll try a different place or head back to the Belvedere hotel.

Room Tip: Get a upgraded Signature room
1 Thank bk_essence
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear bk_essence,
Thank you for your review of the Hotel Edison. We are glad that you were satisfied with our location and room size. We do apologize that the mattresses were not to your liking. For future stays, please request the Front desk to switch you to another room. They will gladly assist based on availability. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to one of our Signature rooms, which we are confident you woud prefer. Please keep in touch via social media.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Frankfort, Illinois
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visited the Edison Hotel two years ago in March and had a wonderful stay with my daughter! I remember check-in to be a breeze and I found the staff to be friendly and professional. I was most impressed how close we were to EVERYTHING! I am currently looking for a good rate to surprise my husband for a get-away in April. Cannot even thing of staying anywhere else! Looking forward to seeing the renovated rooms if I can get one within my budget!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Stacy F,
We look forward to welcoming you back. Please look into the possibility of reserving one of our Signature or Superior rooms. You can send our reservations department an email and they will gladly provide you will all the information you need. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we may be of any assistance.
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The Edison Hotel is in a perfect location for visiting Times Square & I felt very safe and at home there! I was on the 6th floor and my room appeared recently remodeled with a new LG television, new furniture, new bathroom sink, and new decor. The staff was excellent with eloping me feel at home & the security keeps good order at the entrances!

I would have given a 5 star review; however, almost everyday there was no hot water! I would let the shower run forever and end up taking a Luke warm shower on 2 occasions. I called the front desk and this was their only resolution also.

The hotel was overall much nicer tan expected, but the street noise at night did wake me several times. They need to work on noise reduction for the lower floors. It wasn't a huge problem, but light sleepers will need to stay in higher floors.

Overall, I would stay here again! You won't beat the location/prices!!

Room Tip: Higher level rooms are quieter from less street noise!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bigmel02
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Bigme102,
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay and thank you for your review of our hotel. We apologize for the concerns you have raised regarding the plumbing issues and windows, and will certainly submit your comments to management. Our goal is to ensure your comfort, and we are sorry this was not the case. We hope to see you again, where we will work hard to make sure the quality of your stay is much improved.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The only thing this hotel has going for it is its location. It is literally steps from Times Square. As my sister handles the business when we travel, I didn't deal with the hotel staff for check-in but the concierge was curt and almost on the rude side when asked for directions. The elevators were slow and almost always packed. Every time we left the room to go downstairs we had to wait for at least one elevator full of people to pass before we were able to board one. We clearly had one of the rooms which has yet to be renovated. The furniture in the room looked as though it was discarded from someone's house, the beds were extremely uncomfortable and there were NO plugs. I was unable to do any work because there was no 3 prong outlet for my computer and I was only able to charge my cell phone by unplugging one of the lamps in the room. The bathroom was on the small side and just okay. The tub began to clog when I inadvertently turned on the spout for the tub instead of the spouts for the shower.

My suggestion: update the hotel (a little paint and TLC will go a long way), keep the rates the same & you will have a stellar Times Square hotel on your hands!

1 Thank blkreign30
Dear blkreign30,
Thank you for your feedback. Let us reassure you that we are constantly updating the facility to provide excellent accommodations and service for our guests. We welcome any suggestions to further improve. At least the location and price was right for you, so thank you and we hope you give us another opportunity to better serve you in one of our fully renovated Signature rooms. We are sure you will notice the difference.
Cape May, NJ
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This was a good, inexpensive place stay for an overnight in the Times Square/Broadway district. Location was PERFECT. Front desk staff was very attentive and professional. The lobby was beautifully decorated in an art-deco motif, clean and well maintained. The car valet was very helpful and courteous.

We were in one of their older rooms on the 8th floor, presumably based on the rate we got. The room was nice, with windows that opened, which we loved. Everything was clean. The bed was quite firm, but we slept well. The room could use new carpet and a paint job or new wall paper. Both were past their prime. The bathroom was nice.

The hallways could have been beautiful, but were depressing instead. They need to improve their lighting and repaint the trim on all the doors (both elevators & rooms). This place has so much potential, but they need to put a little more effort into the place. The lighting and paint in the hallways would be a huge improvement with little investment (the fluorescent bulbs are not doing the job). I don't know if all the floors look the same or not. I'm under the impression that they are renovating parts of the hotel, so perhaps things are looking up.

Room Tip: Consider one of the upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear QV-Doug,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value every guest's feedback and response as it will help us continue to fulfill our commitment to providing excellent customer service and a superior guest experience. We are in the renovation process and have introduced our Signature collection of rooms with more to come. Please keep in touch via social media. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is in a superb location and, even though the room was rather small and a little shabby but clean, offered good value for the relatively low price. The reception staff provided outstanding service, were happy to undertake the smallest tasks without fuss, and were flexible when we had to adjust our booking. Doormen were very friendly and helpful, as were the bellmen and security personnel. The shower could do with upgrading but, on the whole, I would recommend this hotel for its central position, the quality of the staff, and comfortable accommodation. We had a medical emergency during our visit and the hotel perhaps could work on improving its support and advice in such circumstances.

Room Tip: Try to book one of the upgraded or 'reconstructed' rooms as this will enhance your visit
Dear jonemmbron,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Exceeding our guests’ expectations is a goal our hotel staff strives to achieve daily with every guest interaction. We are sorry to hear that you had a medical emergency during your visit to New York, and sincerely hope that all is well now. We look forward to welcoming you back.