“Step Back In Time”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hamilton, Ohio
“Step Back In Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

When I walked into the lobby, I thought I was transported back to the 1920's due to the stunning art deco design. It was comforting to find that the entire staff I encountered made me and my feel like valued guests. The front desk was thorough, efficient and courteous. The bellmen were equally accommodating and polite. I liked the fact that there was security for the 6 (yes, SIX) elevators, so you had to show your room card key to go upstairs. Our room was small, but that is typical of NYC vintage hotels. It was clean, the bed comfortable and the bathroom sparkled. Noise between room was non-existent, even though the hotel was full.

My only complaint is the shower; while the water flow was good, the temperature swung quite a bit between near-scalding to icy. It did wake you up, though! If not for this, I would rate this hotel as excellent.

We ate at the Cafe Edison one morning for breakfast. It was refreshing to find a cook that actually knows how to make an egg over-medium! Our order was filled quickly and accurately.
The staff was very cordial and chatty.

I would definitely stay here again. The location is excellent, as Times Square is literally only a few steps away and one can enter/exit from both 47th and 46th Streets, a plus when the weather gets a bit nasty.

Since we had a late flight on the last day of our visit, the hotel held our bags for the princely sum of $0.50 each! Retrieving them was quick and easy. The transportation desk made arrangements for transport to the airport (good grief, was that lovely young woman tall!).

All in all, I really liked this hotel. Customer service is obviously THE priority. I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat H
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Pat H,
We thank you for staying at the Hotel Edison and are thrilled to know your stay exceeded your expectations! Thank you for the positive comments regarding the staff and the great location of the hotel. Thank you for recognizing our staff as they work hard to make sure every guest has a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you during your next stay in New York.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,674)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Madeira, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Very good hotel in the center of TIME SQUARE - NY
If you decide to travel to NY - Manhathan, this Hotel is the perfect one, you are really well
situated, and it is a good option for your holidays. Good Luck.

Room Tip: You have to book this hotel very early, because it is pratically always full.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TUBISHINA
GloriaPierrot, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear TUBISHiNA,
Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us. We are glad that everything was to your satisfaction.
Please do not let it be too long before you visit us again.
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Enjoyed our trip to New York and this hotel is in the heart of Times Square. The hotel rooms are a little dated but that adds to the New York experience. The staff at the hotel were great and helped with everything. There is a restaurant downstairs with great Italian food as well as a cafe. The porter was very friendly and organised a limo for $100 to pick us up at 4am to take 6 of us to airport.

Room Tip: Very comfortable beds
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helnells
Dear hellnells,
Thank you for your review. We are so that that we managed to deliver a great experience for you. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Please keep in touch via social media and come back and visit us soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife & I stayed at the Edison the last week of February & couldn't of asked for a smoother check in & the room was perfect on the 5th floor, I can't understand the negative reviews about the rooms, Yeah they are on the Small side but how long do you spend in the room in NYC! One negative was there was no control on the heating so was either boiling or freezing but this certainly wouldn't stop me staying here again. The room maids & reception staff were brilliant & very helpful. Only ate at the hotel once in the diner for breakfast was ok but our favourite place for breakfast was Juniors which did the best pancakes. The location of the hotel was perfect central to all the attractions. Would defiantly recommend buying the New York pass if you are planning on seeing all the sights, Saved loads. Overall really enjoyed our stay in NYC & at the Edison would certainly recommend the hotel to friends & family, thank you to all at the Edison.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gareth S
Dear Gareth S,
An effusive expression of thanks for taking the time to post your review of the Hotel Edison. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will give us the opportunity to welcome you back. Please keep in touch via social media.
Stevenage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Me and my boyfriend are staying here in April. We got our rooms through Thomas cook together with flights. After reading reviews, I'm absolutely terrified tht we are going to get an 'old' room. I hope we get a renovated room and can actually have a good enjoyable trip!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jordyx92
Dear Jordyx92,
Please send us an email and we will gladly make notations of your preferences and will do all possible to accommodate. We look forward to your visit. New York will be bustling while you are here and your trip should be worry-free and enjoyable.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Well located for Time Square and other points of interest. Staff on reception very polite and there was always someone stood at the lifts to ensure that you had a room key before entering the lift, which I thought was a good thing and you felt safe. There is no safe in your room and you had to keep items in the safe deposit box at the back of reception which was a let down as I felt that I was putting the receptionist out everytime I wanted something from the safe, I feel that this would be better to be in your room. The conceige was very help full and to book the taxi back to the airport you just went to the Transportation desk and they booked it for you.
If you want a nice warm drink at the begining or end of your day ensure that you book at superior room, these are the only ones that have a coffee maker in the rooms as I asked. I would have been willing to pay $5 a day for a coffee maker in the room, but they didn't offer is. The room that I stayed in there wasn't one and had to go down 11 floors to the shop next door to get a warm drink on a morning and on an evening.
There is two entrances to the building which was also a good think as you could go out of another entrance if the other one was blocked off with cases and groups etc.
The shower in the room was nice, but be careful as you would get in and the water was nice a warm, you will then be washing your hair and the water would be scalding hot, so be prepared.
I also asked for 4 more pillows for the beds and was only given 2 so either the receptionist didn't understand 4 or they had a limit. Be propared to have broken sleep on an evening, with the hotel being so close to Time Square it very noisey night and day. I am used to noise so didn't bother me too much. It was facinating to watch New Yorkers work, the room that I was in over looked an office block and there was a couple of members of staff that was still at work at 9:15pm and started at 7:15am, very committed.
The floor must have just been decorated as there was a smell of paint, this was very strong in the wardrobe, but this soon went away.
The lifts in the building was very quick to say that it was an old building.
WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN IF I GO TO NEW YORK.
Just a word of warning, don't eat in the cafe joint on it is over priced and the people unhelpful.

Room Tip: Lower floors would be quieter than higher room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank supermickey78
Dear supermickey78,
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that you were satisfied with your stay. Times Square is widely known as the Crossroads of the World in “The City That Never Sleeps” and, although our windows are double-paned, it is not possible to eliminate all street noise in such a busy neighborhood. Our Signature rooms do offer coffee makers as well as in-room safes. You may want to consider reserving one of these rooms for a future stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.
leicestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

After arriving at the Edison in New York we were given our room key and told what floor to go to upon arriving in the room I decided immediately there was no way I'm staying in this room it was dark dreary very dated and was right next to a generator that was really loud the view was awful and room was tiny cramped and generally unpleasant, I went to reception and complained that for the money I was not prepared to accept that room we were them offered an alternative on the 35th floor which was considerably larger lighter and cleaner, it was basic but clean which is ok as you only use it as a base,the rooms need updating and bathrooms are very used and need doing up, the hotel is an Art Deco style hotel and is very beautiful but tired, for the money I have stayed in better in New York, but the location of this hotel is perfect for all major sights. I probably wouldn't stay here again but it was clean basic and ok that is all I can say really. Staff were pleasant and did move us without much fuss I wouldn't normally complain but the first room was so unpleasant i wasn't going to spend five nights in the poky box room we were offered.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank mandalLeicestershire
Dear mandalLeicestershire,
Thank you for your comments. We are glad that our Front Desk was able to switch you to more satisfactory accommodations. For those guests that do prefer a more luxurious experience, we are proud to offer our fully renovated Signature rooms or one of our Superior King rooms. Please consider one of these room types for your future stays. We look forward to welcoming you back.