Anyone visiting New York City for the first time will find it a daunting task choosing an hotel that is convenient for all the attractions that the city that never sleeps has to offer. New York covers a vast area and when choosing an hotel from a holiday brochure it is often unclear how far from the city centre the hotel might be. The Hotel Edison is probably a good a choice as any for a centrally located hotel, being on West 47th Street, just yards from Times Square itself.
Though Times Square is so close to the hotel, I found that it was still sufficiently enough away from the hustle and bustle as to provide a good nights sleep. There was the garbage truck under our window every morning that disturbed my sleep but that was about all. The city is alive with noise, sirens, car horns etc, so no one should come to New York City for peace and quiet.
The main reason I picked the Hotel Edison as my base for our stay in NYC was because of its period charm, reflecting the heady atmosphere of the 1930s. The hotel retains many aspects of the art deco period and was my main reason for staying there. From the lobby with its art deco splendour to the door furnishings, the Hotel Edison retains that feel of pre-war decadence. I half expected a young flapper to dance a Charleston, such was the ambience of the Edison.
The staff were always very helpful and attended to our needs without fuss or argument. The rooms were comfortable, clean and tidy. While we were there at the beginning of October, it was unusually hot and humid in NYC. The air conditioning in our room proved to be a god send, as was the shower. Room service was prompt and efficient and the chamber maids were friendly and always smiling, indicating a happy crew.
The adjoining Edison Diner was good value for money and we had a few breakfasts in there. The diner also proved a lifeline for us as there are no tea making facilities in the rooms of the Edison and as an Englishman I need my tea.
As the Hotel Edison is so central everything is within easy reach. There are many theatres situated nearby so it is easy to get to a Broadway Show. The Marquis Theatre is at the rear of the hotel, on W46th street and we caught 'Evita' there, though there were many other shows within walking distance. The Grayline sightseeing tour buses pick up on Broadway and are the best way to get around NYC and see most of what you'd expect to see. Have a walk a few blocks west to 8th or 9th Avenue and sample the the cosmopolitan vibes of the many restaurants and eateries to be found in that area, Hell's Kitchen by name but Heavenly by nature and at reasonable prices rather than the tourist traps of Broadway.
In conclusion I would say that if you want sterile, modern surroundings go elsewhere, but if you want to get a feel of NYC as it was in the glamorous 1930s , the Hotel Edison is the ideal hotel for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1931, Hotel Edison is an architectural art deco masterpiece with a rich history dating back from the moment famed American inventor, Thomas Edison turned on the light at the grand opening of the hotel to playing host to countless notables, to movie and television appearances. Hotel Edison is conveniently situated in the heart of New York City's iconic Times Square, amidst the energy and excitement of the latest in Broadway Theatres, nightlife, fine dining and shopping. The hotel is within steps of Midtown Manhattan's premier business and leisure destinations - Time Warner Center, Rockefeller Center, MoMA and world renown Fifth Avenue Shops. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, HotelsClick, Otel, Odigeo, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Edison Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edison Towers Times Square
- Edison Hotel New York City
- Edison New York
- Edison Towers Time Square
- Edison Hotel Nyc
- Hotel Edison New York City
- Edison Towers New York
- Edison Towers Hotel