“Great Location, Good Value”

Hotel Edison Times Square
Ranked #312 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The biggest thing about this hotel, as mentioned by other travellers, is the location. It's in a great central location, just off Times Square with good access to all of New York. The staff were friendly and helpful, the service prompt and given the number of people - plenty of lifts. The rooms were clean but dated - with variable hot water in the morning in the bathroom. They were however a decent size with plenty of space. The noise was not a problem (we were on the 10th floor), I guess it depends how busy you kept yourself. With so much to do in New York, we were barely there - it was more a base to sleep and store things than somewhere to spend time. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but for the price and location, I would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Higher is better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunshineliz
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

We thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We value every guest's feedback and opinion and your response as it will help us continue to fulfill our commitment to providing excellent customer service and a superior guest experience.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Edison Times Square

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is right next to Times Square so is well situated for the tourist stuff, Subway station is also nearby. Hotel rooms are small by US standards and some have not been renovated recently. We had 3rd floor room that was a bit tired but asked to be moved and ended up on the 12th floor in a better and quieter room, street noise is noticeable on the lower floors. Free wifi in the lobby was a bonus but could have easily walked across the road to Starbucks which is open all night.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MartinS39194S

We are so grateful that you have taken the time to post feedback about your stay with us. It gives us great pleasure when guests are satisfied. We look forward to your next stay with great anticipation.

Everything here was great. Our room on the 20 floor was roomy and CLEAN
a bit of street noise but is to be expected in Times Square. All Staff were very helpfull especially Anthony ( Consierge). Will stay here again if we ever make it back.
Patricia Fox

Room Tip: Higher floors have refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PATRICIA F

Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were impressed with our new Signature rooms and helpful staff. We would love the opportunity to show you the same hospitality on your next trip.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Edison in NYC, is a nice Hotel very near to the Times Square. You can reach it in less than 5 minutes by foot.
Our room was very small, but I think there are also bigger rooms available.
The equipment looks a little bit retro, but I didn't go to NYC to spend my time in the hotel room, so it was ok for me.
Unfortunately you have to pay extra for Internet-Access. It should be free for guests of the Edison.

But altogether i would recommend it if you wanna be near to the center and reach everything easily.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vlrlv

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We appreciate all of your comments, and the opportunity to see things from a guests’ viewpoint. We do offer complimentary wi-fi in our Signature rooms and Superior King room. We hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next vacation.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Before I left, I read some reviews on this website and got a little worried, but in some ways prepared. I was prepared for the room and bathroom size, and maybe my room was a little out dated. We stayed for 4 nights small room with 2 twin beds and small but perfectly functional bathroom. It was always clean and the Cleaning ladies were always pleasant when we saw them. We did wish there had been another outlet to plug in a curling iron but that would have been the only "problem" if you can call it that. My dorm room was WAY smaller and I had to LIVE there for a year! The staff were welcoming and pleasant and the doorman was extra helpful getting us a cab to the airport and keeping us dry in the downpour that we left in. The location was AMAZING and the little cafe for breakfast was super fast and staff was great. It made my first trip to NYC comfortable and worry free. I would stay at the Edison again in a heart beat and I can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank 494Christina_Z_12
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful review. We are delighted that you have had a hands down positive experience and look forward to welcoming you back to your New York home.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the end of August for nine nights. As she is an adult we wanted some privacy so I chose a 'combi suite'. I had chosen a signature room with two beds in it first before changing. As the 'signature' room had coffee making facilities I wrongly assumed the combi suite would have also. As we love a cuppa we had to buy a kettle and 3 mugs. The suite looked nothing like the photo on the hotel website which is all we had to go on. The attached photos will show what I mean. To say it needs updating is an understatment. It was on the 21st floor and it felt like we were in the servants' quarters.
Most of the staff were lovely except for the receptionist when we were checking out. She acted like I was a nuisance, asked if I wanted a receipt for my $3400.00! She didn't even say thank you which is surely a common curtesy. This was a special trip for my daughter's birthday so although we loved New York our stay was spoiled by the hotel.

Room Tip: Just make sure you don't book a 'combi suite'!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Jtcanavan, Manager, Gloria Pierrot at Hotel Edison Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

It is a pity that you were not happy with your visit. We take all comments on board - good and bad and thank you for bringing up these issues.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

After saving up for a couple of years to go to New York as one of my dream locations. This hotel seemed perfect and had good reviews regarding the location. When we arrived our room was ok, but dreary but very noisy as we were right next to a generator. When we went to bed that evening quite early it was difficult to sleep as we had flashing billboards and the generator. Next morning we asked to move and this was no problem and we moved to a new room. We were told it was on Broadway so maybe a little noisy. Little did we realize we would be opposite another generator from a skyscraper across the way! We gave up at this point and just tried to put up with it, thankfully we had ear plugs but amazingly we could still hear it. We decided to eat breakfast in cafe in the hotel, the good was not great and couldn't believe the cheek of a $8 tip on a $10 breakfast! Disgraceful! We also had a drink in the Rum House, a bar attached to the hotel, we ordered a red wine and a vodka & coke $21!!!!! Wow the final straw came when we arrived back to our room after being out all day to find our bedroom door open!! Thankfully after nothing was missing we were furious that our belongings had been put at risk. I raised a complaint to reception who put me through to security who advised it will be the cleaners that probably hasn't closed the door properly! Like this was an acceptable response, I was told I would be transferred to customer liaison which was an answer phone, shock horror nobody bothered to call me back! This hotel is very basic but clean and if ur in New York you do not spend much time in your room so this is fine. It's amenities are very overpriced but the security side of it left a real dour taste in my mouth!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Davo_7

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We apologize for the issues with your stay. The cafe and the Rum House are both individually owned and operated, but we will bring your concerns to the attention of their management. We certainly do not want our guests to feel uncomfortable while patronizing our hotel, and are truly sorry if you felt that way! We hope you will give us a second chance, and that your next stay will be nothing short of perfection.