I'm writing to thank a past reviewer (October 10, 2010) who took the time to write out explicit directions to the Edison from JFK via the Air Train and subway. His directions saved us a fortune in time and $$$.
We followed his directions exactly. Because we're from New Zealand -- total population 4
million -- we're not use to modern transport systems. We haven't got them. They can be a bit daunting. BIG THANK YOU TO THAT REVIEWER.
We were in New York for four nights from July 10 and the location of the Edison is hard to beat. However our room left a lot to be desired.
We were on the 6th or 7th floor and I can only conclude from the many reviews that things are better on the higher floors. Our room was shabby-depressing. There was a heat wave on in New York and the old air conditioner wasn't up to the job.
There was a constant whiff of toilet and no matter how diligently the maid cleaned the bathroom there was just not adequate ventilation . . . the bathroom was very old and decrepit . . . poorly ventilated.
Our first contact with front desk was not good. We had a young woman who seemed to be
world-weary . . . defeated by life. She just did not want to be bothered with us.
However there was a great concierge who put us onto a corner cafe/ breakfast place --
out the back door and turn right a couple of blocks --Galaxy Diner. Ignore the hostess at the Galaxy -- another sourpuss -- embittered by life.
. . . What is it with these young, beautiful New York women? Would it hurt them so much to smile occasionally?
We ended up at the Edison because our NZ travel agent put us there. NEXT TIME I'LL DO MY HOMEWORK. I FEEL CERTAIN WE CAN DO BETTER IN THE TIMES SQUARE VICINITY.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1931, Hotel Edison is an architectural art deco masterpiece with a rich history dating back from the moment famed American inventor, Thomas Edison turned on the light at the grand opening of the hotel to playing host to countless notables, to movie and television appearances. Hotel Edison is conveniently situated in the heart of New York City's iconic Times Square, amidst the energy and excitement of the latest in Broadway Theatres, nightlife, fine dining and shopping. The hotel is within steps of Midtown Manhattan's premier business and leisure destinations - Time Warner Center, Rockefeller Center, MoMA and world renown Fifth Avenue Shops. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Edison Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Edison Towers Times Square
- Edison Hotel New York City
- Edison New York
- Edison Towers Time Square
- Edison Hotel Nyc
- Hotel Edison New York City
- Edison Towers New York
- Edison Towers Hotel