The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #80 of 479 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I was very happy with our one night stay at the The Tuscany (St Giles) in Manhattan. The location is excellent. It's near Park Ave and Grand Central Station, but 39th street is a quiet tree lined street that feels like a little oasis in the city. There are plenty of good restaurants near the hotel.
The staff was excellent. They are welcoming and helpful and give each guest the feel of personal, one on one service. This is not a factory - get them in, get them out kind of hotel.
I loved our room. It was modern, comfortable and successfully combined the old with the new. The bed and linens were a little slice of heaven.
We just bought a condo in Florida and are redoing the bathroom. The minute I walked into the room and saw the bathroom I knew I wanted to do this exact bathroom in our condo. I was snapping pictures to give to our contractor to say - "see this is what we want"! I think that is a good recommendation for the bathroom, I loved it so much I want to copy it in my home!
It was my first time here, but not my last!

1 Thank James S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Itala, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I spent 4 nights @ Tuscany in May 2014.

I suggest this hotel mainly for two reasons:
1) room's dimesions > I have been in several hotel in NY but this room is for sure the bigger
2) position > perfect compromise between lower and higher part of Manhattan

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

3 Thank ViaggiatoreVS
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

We had made a request weeks in advance with our reservation for a very quiet room. When we got there, it was late and we were exhausted.... so did not think much of it when we had a room on the 4th floor.... OMG... I had to take a sleeping pill at 2 am... even with ear plugs, I could not sleep through the sound of ambulances and police car etc, people on the street etc (windows are not sound proof at all)... second day we asked to change rooms and were told the only other option was the second floor... so no... so two more night of noise but not as bad from outside, just woken up in middle of the night by people coming in around 2-3 am from night out partying (yes, we can hear very clearly everything from the hallway it seems, even with earplugs). Wifi is disastrous... worked on and off the first night but not at all the other two nights... we had to go to Starbucks to check our emails... I would have preferred to be in hotel where I had to pay for it and actually had signal.
On the positive side... yes there is one... Hotel looks nice. Rooms are huge, which is amazing if you need to spend time there working (as long as you do not need wifi!)...love the décor. Only 3 blocks from Grand Central Station which is amazing to get you anywhere across the city by subway. Great comfortable beds. Clean.

Room Tip: high floor, but you may not get what you request anyways...
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Genevieve61
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

It was around dusk on April 6, 2014 when I was spending time with a new business partner of mine, when things took a surprising turn for the worst. This gentleman made the dumb and unprofessional mistake of using the room to fornicate with his "boyfriend," while leaving our lunch for an "errand." When I arrived, I caught them in the act, and decided to leave. He got in my face, things almost got physical & he rushed out, even changing the safe's passcode. When I go to leave, I can't for the fact I could not take my card information off the room for incidentals. He would not put his card down either. After about 2 hours of figuring out what to do, my attorney, and the amazing front desk team that night saved me, and treated me. They were so patient, caring and just beautiful people. The lady even got me something from Starbucks. They as well escorted the gentleman, and his guest out of the hotel, and pretended I left too. Finally what does the staff do? Book me into one of their gorgeous, spacious and delightful suites. I forgot the girls name :( & I believe the guy's name was Jonathan. They both were working that evening on April 6th. Thank you for saving me, and showing me what true hospitality is, especially here in New York. See you soon Tuscany! Best Always, Tommy Hawk.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom H
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Nice decor, very good location and extremely friendly staff.

Complimentary NY Times and Wall St. Journal is a helpful touch for business travelers.

A la carte continental breakfast is well-managed but not ideal for someone either trying to have a full breakfast.

Elevators take too long, not good if you are in a hurry.

Room Tip: Recommend bringing your own plug adapter if you need one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Positive: Amazing rooms and much bigger than the average in New York. Very modern and with all the facilities you expect of a four star hotel.

GREAT location! Minutes from Grand Central, Time Square, Bryant Park and Fifth Avenue.

Negative: The WIFI in the hotel/rooms is very bad and not working much of the time. We stayed for 6 nights and had to contact the staff several times regarding the internet. Continued to break down through our stay. They never came back to us with any status or any help.

The lobby is not what you would expect from a four star hotel. Very "cold" atmosphere and not that inviting. Much of the time there is only one person the reception and thats all.

The rooms and doors are not soundproof, so you can hear all the noise from the hall and from the elevators. We stayed 3 rooms down the hall from the elevator and would wake up several nights because of the loud chime from the elevator.

Conclusion: All in all a good stay, good price and most important some very great rooms.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Overall experience at this hotel was good. The location was excellent, the rooms were very nice and larger than what I had expected to see in NYC. We also got a good price for the room which combined with the ratings is why we booked. One thing to be aware of is that the doors let in a lot of noise, so I was awoken pretty much every morning by the housekeepers out in the hallway around 9 am. Probably not an issue for those who get up early but not easy to sleep in. Overall this was a very nice hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple