“Huge Beds.....Exceeded my expectations”

The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #83 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Derby, United Kingdom
“Huge Beds.....Exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed in room 608 which were were really pleased with. The bed and was absolutely huge which was a real surprise as I imagine New York to be similar to Paris with the small rooms. We had the best nights sleep which was a real advantage after a day's walking around the city. The staff were pleasant. There was a random false fire alarm at midnight on the second night which was a bit bizarre as we were asleep but apart from that I would highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank LoopyLou1885
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Meringue74,

Thanks so much for sharing your great experience at The Tuscany! We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, modern amenities, and our heavenly beds (they’re just great after a long day in the city). Sorry to hear that a false alarm disturbed your sleep during your visit, but very glad to hear that our staff took great care of you. Thanks for recommending us, and we hope to welcome you back to The Tuscany very soon!

Chris Swaim
Director of Guest Services
@StGilesTuscany

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Short summary: We stayed here 5 days we had an okay experience. An overall average hotel with a lot of potential provided they tighten up a few things (Building needs some TLC!) Nothing terrible happened to us but at this time they're definitely not worth the premium paid. Will be staying elsewhere on my next visit to NYC.

Longer summary: This is a smaller "boutique" hotel that fails to meet the standards that would have me choosing them on my next visit to NYC. I selected this hotel due to the great reviews but was disappointed with, in my opinion, too many issues to recommend it to anyone else. While the staff was very kind and helpful the room and building are average to poor. The good news is that all of these things can be easily fixed by the management.

I should say that while individually none of these issues were vacation-killers, collectively they add up to a less than acceptable hotel experience. This is especially true given the price premium compared to other boutique hotels and major chain hotels in the area.

Pros:

1) Friendly and helpful staff
2) Good, quiet location
3) Good views (if you get one of the right rooms)
4) Nicely appointed lobby and bar area

Cons:

1) Inconsistent housekeeping: Upon check-in we noticed the room was not cleaned properly and we had to request someone clean a few things. We were unable to change rooms as they were all booked up the day we checked in.

2) Maintenance Issue: The coffee table in our room was completely broken and had to be replaced. Noticed this as soon as we got into the room as the top fell over when we put a water bottle on it. Another bad first impression.

3) Maintenance Issue: Our room badly needed a fresh coat of paint. Tons of scuff marks and stains from suitcases all over the room. This is exacerbated by the fact that the room is painted all white.

4) Non-functional Fireplace. I'm curious why this was really even listed in the room descriptions but if you list fireplaces in your rooms then it should be clear they aren't functional. It was ~20 degrees outside during our trip and it would have been nice to have a working fireplace or at least be aware they were purely decorative.

5) Daily "maintenance" on 1 of only 2 elevators in the building. This was rather odd but seemed to be par for the course at the hotel and is also mentioned in a few other reviews for this hotel. Is this an NYC thing or just a hotel too cheap to replace an aging elevator?

6) Room service is very new. The room didn't have printed menus so the front desk had to print out some after I called to ask for one. This is extremely unprofessional looking for what is supposedly a 4 star hotel.

7) Hit-or-miss doormen: Sometimes they're standing outside, sometimes they're standing inside, sometimes they're nowhere to be found. I have no idea what schedule they're on or if they're being asked to do other work preventing them from maintaining they're post. I would recommend the hotel not even have doormen if they can't keep them available for duty more than 50% of the time.

Room Tip: Avoid anything near the elevator. It makes very loud sounds and definitely would have annoyed me if...
Dear nijon99,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany. We sincerely appreciate your thorough feedback, which offers us the opportunity to improve the guest experience. We regret to hear that your experience was less than acceptable and did not live up to your expectations. Our goal is to provide a seamless experience for each and every guest, and it is disappointing to hear that your stay was interrupted by a number of preventable oversights. The issues with room maintenance, housekeeping, the absence of a menu for in room dining, and inconsistent service when entering and leaving the hotel we take very seriously. Your feedback is vital, and we will certainly use your experience at an opportunity for improvement and training. I would like to speak with you personally regarding your stay. If you feel so inclined, please feel free to reach out to me personally at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877. We hope to earn another opportunity to show you a true St Giles experience.

Chris Swaim
Director of Guest Services
@StGilesTuscany
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

The Tuscany was already a recomendation of a friend of us, so we did expect a cosy hotel in a very central and convenient quarter of NY. And we have got everything what we have expected.
A nice and large deluxe studio with two huge beds and a fantastic view to the Chrysler building.
(9th floor) As it was our first stay in NY we loved the situation of the hotel to explore the city. We
felt save in a very well kept surrounding Sadly we did not use the gym, no more power at all after coming back from sightseeing. Big hugs from us for two extraordinary employees, the lovely porter and the so helpful desk clerk from the evening shift. We will come back, for sure.

Room Tip: we had a deluxe studio in the 9th floor, very quiet, lovely view to Chrysler building
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Four Corners, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

How times change! In the old days, this used to be a "hot sheet" hotel but now it is a lovely property well worth your visit. I come to NYC about 20 times a year for the past eight years and my check-in was the friendliest I have yet experienced. My room was of reasonable size and the bed very comfortable.

I only have two concerns: on my first day, there was no hot water at all. I called guest relations and asked if there was a problem with the water and the reply was "no". They did say an engineer would check things. But that night after a night on the town, the water still would not get hot. The following two days, everything was fine. The other complaint was that there was no in-room coffee maker. Almost everybody had those now. I did enjoy and appreciate the free Internet.

Overall, recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

- Good location. 2 blocks south of Grand Central station. Very convenient if you intend on using the subways.
- Big rooms. I had the standard studio. Definitely one of the larger rooms I have stayed in Mahattan.
- Quiet. We were on the 15th floor. Didn't have any issues the street noise below.
- Large fitness center. Had many treadmills, elipticals, bicycles; several machines, and barbells. All the equipment was in good condition.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manhattan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I used to live in Midtown Manhattan and have stayed at several of the midtown hotels when returning. If you want a central midtown location, The Tuscany gives you the best location yet also a quiet room. I am very particular about noise when in the city and The Tuscany is one of the quietest hotels I've stayed in. The beds are very comfortable, the furnishings newer and stylish and the bathrooms are fairly large. The room itself was quite large by New York standards. From our window, we had a fabulous view of the Chrysler Building - one of my favorite views in the city. The front desk staff are amazingly friendly, especially compared to other midtown hotels in the city. I did not eat at the hotel at all, so I can't comment on the food.

Another midtown Asian themed hotel used to be my favorite hotel in midtown, but the unfriendly front desk staff coupled with the fact that I seemed to be given rooms that smokers had occupied before me, made me look elsewhere. Other hotels in midtown facing Madison or Lexington or TImes Square can be extremely loud at all hours of the night. The Tuscany's rooms are more recently renovated, the front desk staff is very personable, the rooms don't smell like smoke, the beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms are quiet - for these reasons The Tuscany is my new choice when I want to stay in Midtown Manhattan.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Chrysler.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AuthorMomManhattan
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

After a stressful journey from JFK to the Tuscany at rush hour, we arrived at the Tuscany to a warm welcome and the news that we had been given a free upgrade. In addition to this, the staff gave us a little welcome note and plate of (absolutely delicious) chocolate dipped strawberries because it was an anniversary trip. Little touches like this made it easy to forgive the niggles that prevented the stay from being perfect - ideally i would give the hotel 4.5 stars, but i would feel i was doing a disservice to round down instead of up!

The location is very good, right near Grand Central station but in a fairly quiet street, which certainly feels very safe. I also considered the well regarded Distrikt hotel - but we ran across this in what seemed to be a very seedy area, so i was glad that i decided against it!

The rooms are huge (well, for New York anyway) and the king bed was very comfortable, although i really didn't like my pillow. Our upgraded room gave me a little dressing table with a great mirror. Molton Brown toiletries really added to the feeling of being pampered, although finding a small clump of someone else's hair in the shower when we arrived did detract a bit! Nonetheless the bathroom was really nice (and otherwise very clean), though i can't ever feel that i am really experiencing "luxury" when there is no bath!

Another issue is how loud the temperature control was. We endured a rather chilly night rather than have to deal with the noise of the heater. I also find it disappointing when a hotel that styles itself as luxury does not include breakfast as standard.

Overall though, i was very happy with the hotel, especially for the price and felt that it had a lot more personality and warmth to it than the (more expensive and more highly rated) Pearl where we spent the latter part of our trip.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple