“My new favorite hotel in NYC”

The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #92 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I travel all over the world and I never have contributed to Travel Advisor because I like to forget most of my hotel experiences. I was so impressed that I would lose sleep if I didn't commend this hotel. I was also hesitant to give a review because if this hotel gets popular, I am nervous I wont be able to get a reservation again! I am the pickiest of travelers and there is never a place where I havn't had a problem...except this hotel! I am a former New Yorker and come back every few months. I had stayed in this area one time before and loved it so knew that the location was excellent. There is a beautiful relaxing feel when you walk in the lobby. I am used to the four seasons and ritz carlton so wasn't sure if a boutique hotel was for me. The staff are are very hip and young, unlike the fancy hotels but I loved it! Our room fit 2 kids and 2 adults with no problem. The beds were so comfy, the view of the chrysler Building was perfect for my facebook update photo :) The bathroom shower was the best I ever had in NYC. I felt like I was in my own apartment. There is a huge drawer in the bathroom that I held all of my junk in so the sink was not crowded, there was a great hall to put my suitcases in when packing and unpacking. The closet was a normal size. There were enough drawers for NYC standards, a full length mirror, a beautiful large screen tv, a reading light, a great desk with tons of outlets for my ipads, ipods, computers and phones. The day bed was perfect for my 9 year old to sleep. Anything I needed, I literally got it in just a few minutes!! The funniest part of the stay was that I was in the elevator on the way up and I said "I am in the mood for coffee, I wish there was coffee in the lobby". I got up to my room and there was a coffee pot with coffee in my room!! It was just a coincidence because while I was gone eating or shopping, housekeeping happened to put it in my room without me asking - but it was funny, since we were astonished at how fast things happened there! haha. One of the staff members at the desk didn't bother to look up anytime we came down to the lobby but the rest of the staff made up for it. In fact, he was really rude to me when I asked him if anybody had found a scarf I lost , but he gave me a late checkout, so that made me happy. My only negative comment is that I can't find the hotel for next year at the "jetsetter"price I had found for this trip/. I have 2 more trips to NY coming up and I have been checking every day. The price they charge is MORE than reasonable but I am able to stay in my family's apartment for free so it has to be cheaper for me to make sense..if I get a little better price than what is showing right now, I am definitely staying there every time I come!

Room Tip: The elevator beeps every single time it opens and closes but compared to NYC noises outside, you get...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank latripshermanoaks
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear latripshermanoaks,

It was an absolute pleasure to read about your recent stay at The Tuscany, thank you so much for sharing it here on TripAdvisor! We are especially happy to impress a former New Yorker. I am delighted to hear that out staff took such great care during your visit, and I will be sure to share your review with them (rudeness, however, is not tolerated, and I will be sure to bring this to everyone’s attention—warm, friendly service is our standard with each and every guest!).

I would be our pleasure to look at the dates of your upcoming visit for our best rates and availability. Simply email our Director of Revenue and Reservations, Christopher Jevas, and mention the promo code THANKS for great rates and special offers for your upcoming stays.

We hope to welcome you back to The Tuscany very soon!

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visited New York for the first time for his 30th birthday in November 2013 and this hotel was a perfect base for us to explore the city. We purchased a subway ticket so it was very handy being only a couple of blocks from Grand Central. To be honest, we did not utilise all of the facilities, such as the fitness suite or breakfast area nor did with have much interaction with hotel staff but the room was spacious and the hotel has a calm and relaxed atmosphere which suited us perfectly when returning from a day's site seeing. There were a couple of glitches with our bathroom such as the sink blocking but this was rectified quickly without even having to ask. We had a drink sitting at the bar one night which was slightly chilly but otherwise a very pleasant stay and would recommend.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susie-Lou_2011
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Susie-Lou_2011,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! It was a pleasure to help you celebrate your boyfriend’s 30th birthday, and we are delighted to hear that you found our location and our spacious modern rooms were such a great base for your New York City adventure. We are sorry to hear that you had a problem with the sink, but glad to hear that our great staff rectified the situation quickly and seamlessly. Please come back and visit us in Murray Hill again soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Spent my 50th birthday at The Tuscany and could not fault anything.Being rather fussy,I am always quite critical of hotels but this exceeded all my expectations.An enormous de-lux room ,which was definitely worth the little extra! Emailed ahead and asked for a coffee maker,which was duly arranged albeit after .Will .definitley stay here again if lucky enough to return.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gillian T

Dear Gillian T,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We were honored to host you for such a special occasion, and it was our pleasure to help you celebrate your 50th birthday in New York City. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the Deluxe Studio—these spacious and inviting rooms get high marks across the board. We are sorry to hear that the coffeemaker was not arranged in advance, as requested, and I will be certain to follow up with our teams to ensure that such requests are arranged prior to arrival. Please do come back to visit us in Murray Hill again soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our first trip to New York City! We traveled with another couple. Booked a room at this hotel thanks to the positive reviews on this portal. The rooms are very large (king bed) 42" flat screen TV, make-up area (large mirror), walk-in shower (small bathroom otherwise). We had a corner room with 3 windows. There is no counter space in the bathroom as the fancy sink takes up the entire area. Staff was very friendly... then again, so were we! The 39th street location is very quaint and traffic is light. Really close to Park Avenue, Grand Central Terminal. Nice restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner really close by. A cab ride to Times Square area is only $10.00.

Room Tip: Corner Suite is large with multiple windows.
1  Thank Paul T

Dear Paul T,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We are delighted when new guests find us here on TripAdvisor, and we are so glad that you enjoyed one of our spacious Corner Studios. With double-exposure, lots of natural light, and great views, the Corner Studios offer a truly unique New York City experience. Though we realize that the counter space in our bathrooms is in short supply, there is a drawer directly below the sink that can hold extra items when not in use. We are so glad that you had a great visit, and we hope to see you back a The Tuscany on a future visit!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Been a "frick review", I spent hours reading reviews about the hotels I intend to stay. And The Tuscany was the one that had the best reviews, meeting almost everyone's expectations.
I was very glad I did go for it. The location is great for midtown. (Don't like to even think about being close to Times Square). 5 minutes from Grand Central. Room was huge for NY standards. Very clean, walk in closet, hallway, great, great shower.
The hotel is small and cozy enough that the staff from the front door is able to see and cheer you up everytime you go through. (If you like huge lobbys with hundreds of people walking in and out, this is not the hotel for you). Charming hotel that I'll reccomend and certainly will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. Away from elevators.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Renata P

Dear Renata P,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany! We love a tough reviewer, and we love it even better when we meet and exceed expectations. We are so glad to hear that our staff provided warmth and cheer each time you passed through the lobby—warm, personal service is our goal with each and every guest, and I will be sure to share your review with our front office team. Please come back and visit us in charming Murray Hill again soon!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The best point of that hotel is location - right in the Center of Mnhtn, 5 minutes walk to Grand Central and metro station. Design is also nice and fresh. We had deluxe room and it was spacious. That were all good news about that hotel.

Main thing that can make your stay perfect - the staff. In The Tuscany hotel staff was not friendly and not affable. Especially the lady at the reception - nobody told her that she had to smile to the guests?
Cleaning service was horrible - during the week we could see spider's web over the table (we told about it but nobody cleaned), dust also was never wiped. They cleand the carpet just once during 6 days we were there. Glasses were standing dirty till we asked

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Kate R
Chris S, Guest Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear Kate R,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at The Tuscany. We regret to hear that your visit did not meet your expectations. I would like to speak with you personally to determine exactly where we went wrong so that we can take the proper steps to improve. We pride ourselves on warm, personal service and spotlessly clean rooms provided to each and every guest, and it is disappointing to hear that we did not live up to our standards during your stay. I have spoken with our Housekeeping team and we are working with the front desk and our guest service professionals to identify gaps in communication and service to ensure that The Tuscany provides seamless and exceptional experiences for all of our guests. We are so sorry that we did not do so in your case. Please feel free to reach out to me at chriss@stgilesnewyork.com or by calling 212.592.8877. I would like to speak with you further, and we would love another opportunity to show you a true St Giles experience.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I booked a stay there for a special occasion - I was going to propose to my girlfriend, so I wanted everything to be perfect. And it was.

The staff was great in arraging the perfect room, with a view on the Chrysler Building - which was beautiful, especially at night.

Once we got there, everything was up to the expectations: the position (3 blocks from Grand Central and a subway stop on the 4, 5, 6 lines), the hotel (recently renovated), the features of the room, the bed, and everything.

The staff was very helpful, even in providing me with precious assistance and tips to organize the "event". A+.

All in all, strongly suggested!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank antoniobonanno
Chris S, Public Relations Manager at The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear antoniobonanno,

It was truly a pleasure to host you and your girlfriend (now fiancé!) for such a special occassion, and we are delighted to hear that our great staff at the Tuscany took such great care to create a memorable and exceptional experience for you. I will be sure to share your kind words with our front office, housekeeping and concierge teams. Thank you for the recommendation, and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. Please do come back and visit us again soon, perhaps this time for your honeymoon!