“Great location. big rooms!”

The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel
Ranked #94 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed here with some girlfriends on our annual trip to NYC at the end of July - I had always wanted to stay here since this was once a W Hotel. The location has a nice neighbourhood feel to it and is close to everything! My friend and I stayed in a room with 2 queen beds and it was massive - not just big for NYC standards! There was a huge walk in closet and a separate little "bar" nook in the room. The service was also very good - every time we called to have something brought to our room it was there within 10 minutes. Only inconsistency is the doormen - sometimes they are there, sometimes not. Not great if you are hoping to hail a cab.
Overall I was very pleased with this hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TOFood-TravelChick
There are newer reviews for The Tuscany - A St Giles Signature Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed there for a week in May. Honestly, when I'll be back in New York I'll try to stay here again!!!!!!
Rooms are huge, but the bathroom are old and awkward... therefore I don't think you can get better room for the price charged!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

While I didn't love this location, the hotel was very nice. The rooms were very large by NY standards, and the beds very comfy. The business center made it easy to print boarding passes. The minuses were that we had to ask for basic things like a second washcloth in our room. Also, while nice and quiet, it's not the most exciting neighborhood in the city.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Spent fifteen nights here and had no problems at all. Staff are friendly and helpful, our room was spacious and had a great view of the Empire State Building. We would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed here for four nights with a friend and was very pleasantly at the space, furnishings and comfort in the rooms, and the excellent gym! It's a wonderful hotel to set yourself up with a base from which to explore Manhattan without feeling hat you've been wedged into a show box like many NYC hotels area. For he extra few dollars, I would highly recommend this hotel to others and I will do my best to stay here If I come back to NYC in the future. The only down side was the 'friendliness' of e front desk staff. The two ladies who worked evenings and nights were exceptional friendly and helpful but they were let down by the aloofness of their male colleagues during the afternoon and day shifts who seemed to prefer to have loud chats about heir weekend activities and upcoming band engagements, with one exception - Michael, who had impeccable customer service skills and took time out to ensure that he had fully helped resolve my needs. Thanks Michael.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just got back from our first visit to NYC. Was delighted at staying in the Tuscany. Its a great location that is in the heart of Manhattan. Had heard a fair few horror stories of tiny NYC rooms, but we had paid extra for the corner king room and it was big 500 sq ft. However even the standard rooms are nearly 400sq so plenty of space. Both the fittings and the house keeping in the rooms were first class and to a high standard, my only minor complaint was that the air con unit was noisy but that was to be expected when its 100 degrees and its working overtime. Without a doubt however the best part of the hotel is the staff, they were excellent. Very accommodating, friendly and knowledgeable, and the great service they provided really made our stay.

Anyone looking for a great boutique hotel in NYC should definitely consider the Tuscany for its overall excellent standard.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McGlynp
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Arriving well before check-in time and before the person who had booked the room, I was made to wait in case I was a stalker. They said they needed to protect the person who had booked the room, and that I was not listed on the reservation. Strange, I produced an ID with a name matching the one of the booking, and I also gave them a credit card and said that I would take care of the room. (I had neglected to bring the print-out listing me as the other occupant on the room.)

Thus my stay began in a negative light. Then I was told that there were only two rooms and they gave us the better one. On the third floor. We were facing a miniature courtyard looking into people's kitchen windows. There was absolutely no view. One of the reasons I chose the hotel was because of the raves on TripAdvisor about the views of the Empire State Building. Worse, the toilet was making constant loud dripping sounds until I called for help and they sent an engineer to fix it. There was grout on the tub floor, which they had not smoothed down. It stuck up at sharp points and nearly cut my feet. The bed's nightstands were dirty and not cleaned the entire time we were there. Everything was sticky and the room was very dark.

That being said, the rest of the service staff was nice. The Audrey Cafe staff was sweet. The room itself was shockingly large with a walk in closet and a separate mini-room for the "bar" with a glass-top on dark wood and mini-fridge with wine glasses hanging on the wall. The chaise lounge was superbly comfortable for watching TV and using the laptop. The bed was a true king size bed. It was truly a huge room for any hotel, let alone one close to midtown Manhattan. It is in a terrific location for taking the subway or grabbing cabs on Park or Lex.

I asked three times if we could change rooms and they continually told me that the hotel was fully booked for the next day. As we were staying three days I asked if we could change later in our stay. Again, I was told to ask again. I said, I can wait for the room today and just drop my bags and return after the current guests check out. That appeared to be an impossibility. Perhaps that is because they still were not sure if I was a stalker or not.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room when you book. Call before you arrive and triple-check as to where your room i...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business