“I'm Patting Myself on the Back! Great Hotel Choice!”

IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #252 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Pelham, Alabama
“I'm Patting Myself on the Back! Great Hotel Choice!”
Reviewed February 1, 2010

This review has NOTHING negative to say about 70 Park Avenue! If you need to hear about how rude the front desk employees were or how tiny the rooms are or even how noisy the hotel is - you will not find it here! If you want to hear about how nice everyone and everything was, PLEASE keep reading. (I'm saving my favorite part until the very end) . My stay was on a Thursday thru Sunday. I booked thru Kimpton Online. My rate was amazing, it came with ample food credits to be used at the onsite restaurant, plus as a Kimpton In Touch Member I received high speed internet for free. At check in I was given a personalized card for 2 free items from the mini bar ($15max). I requested and received (for a small fee) an upgrade to a Larger King Room with Jacuzzi. The room was much larger than I expected. With terrific storage- a closet plus a wardrobe plus drawers. Huge LCD television and docking station for an ipod. The windows had pull down shades plus blinds plus drapes. The Sofa was very comfortable. More than once we said "wow this is so much bigger than we expected for nyc). The bed was a dream- great sheets, great pillows. The lighting in the room was terrific everything had dimmer switches- very elegant. The bathroom was also a dream, lots of mirrors and lots of counter space plus the jacuzzi tub was a great bonus. It was tucked back into an alcove- trust me nothing tiny feeling about it (despite my lack of photography expertise). Even the bathroom had lights that could be dimmed. Very romantic ! Ample towels were provided. CLEAN,CLEAN,CLEAN. The front desk staff was very helpful I approached them on 4 different occasions,also had ice delivered to my room on 2 occassions and was very satisfied with the service. The Conceirge was flawless. Her name was Jocelyn and she went way above and beyond helping me. She printed out maps and took the time to write down local landmarks(knowing the actual store name along with the street number to turn at is a big plus) that i would encounter during my romps around the city. I felt supremely confident i would not get lost. With her explanation of the Subway system I had no worries about getting around. She made personal recommendations, even made sure i had the phone number to reach her in the event i got lost or had any questions. Mr. Manager- if you read this, you should buy her dinner! Hotel restaurant was beautiful. They have a Happy Hour with $2 lite snacks, and several $4-6 drink specials (not everyday you find that in Manhattan). We ate breakfast (all yummy) and had Calamari one evening with drinks. No complaints. The evening wine reception hosted by the Hotel was nice. Wine was better than average. Thank you for reading this far. I saved my favorite part for last. For $30bucks I was able to extend my check out until 5pm. How great it was to enjoy my last day in the city without the hassles of checking out by 11am!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank BusyMomOf2Boys
Distributi0nManager, Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear BusyMomOf2Boys,
We appreciate the review of your recent stay with us at 70 park avenue hotel. I'm so glad to hear that everything was above your expectations, and that you had such a wonderful visit! I hope we'll be able to welcome you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed January 18, 2010

First things first -- I do not usually give a negative review unless necessary. I am a very tolerant and open-minded person.

70 Park Avenue Hotel was booked for me by my company. They paid $398/day for a double double room. When I got my confirmation, I cannot believe it. There are cheaper rooms in NY than this. I immediately called up the hotel and asked for a transfer to a queen or king room since I was the only one in the room and didn't need an extra bed. They said they cannot honor my request because they were fully booked that day.

The moment I stepped in the hotel, I was immediately impressed -- nice interiors, friendly doorman, and iMacs at the lobby! Whooot! Front desk was friendly as well, although she couldn't move me to another room as requested earlier. Even gave me a drink voucher for being an InTouch member. Really nice.

On my way to my room, I noticed that the elevators are very tiny (a norm in NYC?). I had a good sized room, I wouldn't say huge because it isn't, not even for NYC standards. The worst part is the bathroom. It is soooo tiny, the toilet bowl is right against the wall that my leg wouldn't even fit when I sit. So I had to sit sideways -- uncomfortable and embarrassing. There was no space for my toiletries. I promise, this is the first time this happened to me. They put the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion (they're L'Occitance!) on top of a small wooden box that was placed on top of the toilet. Whhhaaaa .. literally NO space at all for any of my toothbrush, toothpaste, shaver, creme, etc.

I immediately called the attention of the front desk and the best thing they can do is move me to another room the next day. Darn! I'd have to live with this then. In the evening, it turned from bad to worse. Airconditioning wasn't working properly. Even if I put the heater on, it's still cold.

Th next day, I was moved to a lower floor with one double bed. The room was so tiny, it was difficult for me to move around. My only consolation was that the bathroom was as big as the room. And I had all the toilet shelving I needed, and even more. But there was another problem, this time, the room was so warm, even if the A/C was off. I called up front desk and they said they will look into it. Nobody came nor called. I didn't bother. Since this is one hell of a hotel, the warm room temperature will suite it well.

I checked out after 3 nights ... but wait! You think that's the end of my nightmarish experience? Nope. When I got home, I checked my credit card online and I was charged by this hotel. I immediately phoned them and they said that I was charged for something I got from the room bar. Hmmm ... I don't drink soda nor do I drink liquor (I'm allergic). When I arrived I bought 6 bottles of Evian from Duane Reade. So to cut the story short, I didn't get anything from the mini-bar, but still they insisted that I call the hotel's accounting office to investigate. My gosh!!! Are we going to argue over a few bucks???? And I didn't even get anything. Can't you trust me???? I guess not! Bleh! Tasteless. Anyway, I still called and voice mail picked up. "We are currently closed, please call back during office hours ...."

So tell me, is my review fair or what?

I don't expect a reply from management because as you've noticed, the hotel only replies to those who give a THUMBS UP. Otherwise, they ignore you. So what? I am sure I'm not coming back to your hotel next time I'm in NY. I prefer that boutique hotel in Madison and 37th.

I hope this will help you with your decision to stay or avoid this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank javachampion
70parkave, Operations manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
Greetings from 70 park avenue hotel. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your comments. By giving me your feedback it allows me the opportunity to improve our processes and standards. I understand that the room you were placed in did not meet your expectations. I wanted to take the opportunity to apologize for the size concerns as well as the lack of heat in your room. I will be addressing your concerns with our Engineering departments so that they are aware of your concerns. This is not by any means the way that we want our guests to feel while staying with us. Again, we thank you for your feedback and hope to get the opportunity to have you back with us in the future.
virginia
Reviewed January 13, 2010

When I booked the hotel, I had no doubt in my mind that it would be great as I have stayed at numerous Kimptons and they are all very nice. I travelled with my husband and our beagle. Not only were we treated great, but our dog was given the "Kimpton" welcome and treated great. Everything about this property was really top notch. The staff were super accommodating and helpful in every respect. We felt very welcome and were able to relax during our stay. I prefer smaller boutique hotels, so this was right in line. The location was another winner, as the neighborhood is superb and quiet. All in all, a great place to stay within walking distance to everything!! This is now my hotel of choice in New York City whether or not I need a pet friendly hotel .

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Distributi0nManager, Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2010
Dear vananben,
Thank you for choosing to stay with Kimpton again! We're glad you enjoyed the location and that your beagle was given the Kimpton Welcome. We are also happy that you continue to find our staff accommodating. Thanks again for staying with us; we hope you continue to choose Kimpton Hotels!
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Went to NY for Christmas 2009. Staff bent over backwards to accomodate all requests. Very good value, excellent location and close to everything. My wife and I enjoy walking - easy to find your way to and from hotel.
Happy hour from 5-6pm each night - free wine in lobby.
Concierge on duty always - helpful and courteous.
Room was large and clean - includes bar fridge, 42" LCD TV, iron, hair dryer, Bathroom a bit small but quite serviceable. Loved the place overall.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottLesl
Distributi0nManager, Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Dear lesscott2003,
Thank you so much for your review! We're thrilled to hear that you had such a pleasant holiday with us at 70 park avenue. We hope to welcome you back again in the New Year!
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 28, 2009

The hotel I usually stay at in NYC was booked, and 70 Park Ave. Hotel had a good rate online - so I decided to try it out. For the price, it has very clean and comfortable rooms, and the staff is incredibly friendly. My room on the 4th floor faced Park Avenue, and so there was some traffic noise, but anyone who lives in a larger city is used to such in the background. The room is large by NYC standards, but is a bit dark, despite many lamps and lights. This isn't the Ritz, but is quite nice - down duvet, bathrobes, L'Occitane toiletries, and a large wall-mounted flat panel TV. Not bad at all - I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a nice hotel in New York at a decent price.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Ted_in_DC
Dear Ted_in_DC,
Thank you for the thoughtful review of your stay with us at 70 park avenue hotel. We appreciate the feedback! I'm glad that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and the staff incredibly friendly. We look forward to your next visit!
Laois
Reviewed December 23, 2009

the hotel was OK and comfotable however way over priced and i was charged 60 dollars to watch a movie so stay clear of that. great location short stroll to 5th avenue and times square

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2009

If you want a nice hotel in a good location where you won't spend an arm and a leg this is it. I took my parents to NYC the first weekend of December - one of the busiest weekends of the year. Room rates were high city-wide and I was happy to get a room for a good deal at 70 Park Avenue. The location was walking distance to all the holiday sights - we didn't take the subway once. The hotel upgraded us to a queen double (from a double double). They served complementary hot chocolate, cider and wine in the evening. Rooms are a good size, especially for New York. Bathroom was a bit small but had everything we needed and served 3 people comfortably. Located in the Murry Hill neighborhood, it is mere blocks from Grand Central and the MetLife building but very quiet, a rarity in New York.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank msinwdc
Distributi0nManager, Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Dear msinwdc,
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us at 70 park avenue hotel. I'm happy to see that you had an excellent visit, and that the location was particularly convenient for you. We look forward to your return!