“A World Class Hotel in a World Class City”

IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #245 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“A World Class Hotel in a World Class City”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I can't stress enough how impressed I was with this hotel. I'll start with saying the location is very good; Park & 38th... An easy walk to alot of attractions and restaurants. Location, in a city like NYC, is the most important factor for me when choosing a hotel... And I was not disappointed!
If anyone's doing a City Sights or Grayline tour, their ticket and info office is literally a 1 minute walk. Also, the bus service to the airport (NYC Airport I think it's called, it's $13.00 p/p) is also a 1 minute walk south on Park. But!This hotel has so much more then just location to offer. First and foremost, the client care is certainly something to write home about! Everyone from the concierge to the doorman will do everything and anything to keep their guests happy.
A few I'd like to point out:
Rebekah-Concierge: Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Her suggestions for restaurants/bars/lounges were excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed the ones we visited. Also, she made our reservations for us...We really, really appreciated the effort. We would have never found these gems on our own! (I'll review them separately but the names of a few are: The General, Stanton Social, Tao and Beauty & Essex)
Also, Mario!! (I'm not sure what his position exactly is as I'm pretty sure I saw him doing everything at some point or another throughout our stay),Big Thank you to you! I hope someome important at 70 Park Ave reads this, because this guy is the epitomy of a gentleman. He really cares about his patrons.
There was also a lovely blond lady serving wine at the wine reception on Friday, March 28/14 whose name I didn't get, but she was excellent as well!
They provide breakfast vouchers for the Silverleaf Cafe- providing breakfast isn't common in NYC hotels and it was delicious! Everything was fresh and they didn't skimp on anything.
The wine reception is perfect, so nice to come back to after a long day of walking about and sight seeing.
All in all, the service here is unparralled; without question. I travel often and I've stayed in many hotels- this was my absolute favorite!! Even my boyfriend (who is not easily impressed... ever) loved this place and their employees.

I laughed when we opened the door to our room. It was the same room that I read a review on a while back, with wall art above the bed that read something to the effect of: 'I close my eyes and hold a piece of the sky in my mouth.' The person who wrote it was downright angry about the room. There was nothing wrong with it! It has a King Size bed people, and a very comfortable one at that! that's almost unheard of in NY. The bathroom was a bit small, but really no big deal. The rooms are clean and quite comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone I know who will be visiting NY in the future. And I will no doubt stay there again next year!

Thank you Kimpton, for an excellent experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bill B, General Manager at IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
SoMuch2C11,

WOW WOW WOW!!!! We absolutely LOVE this review! And yes, Mario is one of our rockstar door/bellmen and we'll make sure he gets your feedback!!

Thanks again for these awesome comments! We hope to see you soon!!

Bill Babis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I love Kimpton hotels. 70 Park Ave had many of the great Kimpton perks I've come to expect, but definitely a different feel from the two other Kimpton properties I've stayed at in NYC. It definitely has more of the feel of an older hotel that has been retrofitted to the Kimpton style, but they've embraced some of its charm as well.

The visit got off to a somewhat rocky start when I got there 30 minutes early and they didn't have a room ready - fair enough, I hadn't requested early check in. But I had requested a room on a high floor and they were only going to have a room on the 3rd floor. I said that was fine and went to that room only to find out it was directly across from the elevator, which would make me crazy hearing that level of noise. So I had to wait another hour for a room on the 16th floor, but for me it was worth it. And they very kindly comped me breakfast at their adjacent cafe to say thanks for waiting.

The location is super convenient to Grand Central Station and a fairly easy walk from Penn Station. The concierge recommended the Park Ave Tavern across the street when I needed a quick bite before heading out to see a show, and that was a perfect suggestion.

The room wasn't as large as some I've had at other Kimpton properties but it was quite large by typical NYC hotel standards. The bathroom was quite small but functional.

Room Tip: High floor and away from the elevators and housekeeping stations.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ALW39
ALW39,

Sorry to hear about the delay and mix up with the room preference but we're glad you enjoyed your overall stay! We are the first Kimpton in NYC and we're glad you could appreciate the charm our property has, we hope to see you again!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Finding a great hotel deal in NYC over a holiday weekend is always a struggle. Jamie W. and I always find ourselves back there every Memorial Day weekend, and this year was no exception. I've stayed several times recently at the Affinia Dumont on 34th near Lexington, but prices skyrocketed with their remaining openings. Jamie just stumbled upon the listing for 70 Park Avenue, a much smaller boutique hotel that happens to be part of the Kimpton chain. We booked ourselves for five nights and were happily satisfied with our stay there. It starts with the prime location at Park and 38th, just a quick stroll from Grand Central.

We managed a nightly rate of $237 on Hotels.com, which we felt was quite reasonable for midtown Manhattan. As I expected, the Queen Deluxe room was small but nicely appointed. I guess they offer a wine reception as part of the deal, but we came at 5:30AM after taking the redeye from SFO. It was already getting muggy at that ungodly hour, so we took full advantage of the cisterns of iced water with lemon to help us keep cooler. Surprisingly we didn't run into noise issues despite our proximity to the elevator and stairwell. The staff was quite nice and attentive, and the concierge was helpful though he was a most popular font of information for the incoming and outgoing guests. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed_Uyeshima
Ed_Uyeshima,

Thanks for that awesome feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again!

Safe Travel,

Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We expected so much more from a Kimpton property especially one in such a nice location. The room was small but it is NYC so it happens but the bathroom slider door was broken, this shouldn't happen. Additionally the housekeeping was inadequate with the room not being fully vacuumed in the corners and errant hairs in the bathroom. The final indignity was that heat would not go above 66 in the middle of an awful NY winter. Too many other good NYC hotels to return to 70 Park!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
alsal,

I'm so sorry for the opportunities you encountered on your trip, you are correct that is not the Kimpton standard. If you decide to give us a chance, please reach out to us directly so we can make sure you feel the kimpton love!

South Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Alright let us begin with price.... We booked this through Kimpton's website using a last minute deal and basically we stole this hotel room at 149.00 a night! (In NYC...yea, we stole it!)
While we're on the subject... Become a Kimpton InTouch Member! This benefit is free and likely is the reason we were able to snag free champagne and cupcakes upon our arrival. Also, in this hotel you get a 15.00 mini bar credit. #winning (that's if you are an InTouch member)

Now, the room... (We booked the queen, standard room) it was decorated very nicely. Yes, it was small. Yes, the bathroom is even smaller. But it is New York, so that's somewhat expected. Noise from other rooms weren't an issue. We were on the 16th floor and I'm told when in NYC, higher floors are more quiet ...not so. Street noise is loud...even from the high floors. I confidently suspect that is going to be the case anywhere in this fantastic city. Speaking of noise, unfortunately I do have to warn you of the loud air system by the window...wow that was annoying. (Note, it could have only been our room...but it was annoying enough to mention it, ya know) We literally would rather hear horns blowing outside and raise our window for air than listen to that thing.

The hotel has a wine hour. That was nice.
The location was fine by me. We used taxi's everywhere anyhow. (By taxi, I mean Yellow Taxi - the black cars claiming to be "taxi's" charge an arm and leg...at least double what a cab will cost you...just beware.)

Hotel is about 3 blocks from Grand Central Station & a lovely like breakfast spot called Perishing Square.

Staff were very nice. Concierge was very pleasant.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
projectfoxtrot,

We love that, #winning!!! We love that you felt the #kimptonlove and thanks for being a KIT member! Sorry about the loud A/C, we'll be sure to have that checked out. We hope to see you soon!

Washington, DC
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I enjoyed 70 Park Avenue Hotel more than I expected. The location, on a serene block of Park Avenue just south of Grand Central Terminal, is convenient to 5th Avenue, Times Square, Hells Kitchen, Chelsea and the East Side. The rooms are stylish and spacious, although a bit oddly laid out. We stayed in two different rooms over the course of a four-night stay and, in both cases, there was lots of room near the door - that wasn't all that useful - and the bathrooms were a bit small. But overall, the rooms were very nice. This is a very good hotel with reasonable rates. I would definitely stay here again. It's hard to go wrong with Kimpton.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank pwrstr
pwrstr,

So glad to hear that our location was perfect for you! We hope to see you back soon!

Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I like staying at Kimpton hotels. They offer a lot of the amenities of a 5 star hotel without the 5 star price. This boutique hotel was in a great location and the rooms were very nice. The only negative was the very high cost of parking--$64 per night. You can save by finding a discount garage and parking yourself. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple